ATA Exam in Guadalajara
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:17
German to English
Feb 7, 2002

I\'m organizing an ATA accreditation exam sitting for Guadalajara, Mexico and thought those of you who live *south of the border* might be interested. So far the closest location for Mexicanos has been Tijuana. The date we\'re shooting for is 11 May. Once everything is finalized, the date will be published in the ATA Chronicle. Saludos!

Lia Gutierrez

BNatt (X)
BNatt (X)
German to English
Spanish :( Feb 7, 2002

I would definitely join you but I am a member of the ata German chapter and don\'t speak Spanish.

Hope you get plenty of support and responses!

Keep going, Kim!

Natt

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Count me in! Feb 7, 2002

I would be very interested in taking this exam in Guadalajara! Great idea! Please do keep us posted!

Kind regards

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra

O María Elena Guerrero
O María Elena Guerrero  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:17
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Web site information Feb 8, 2002

Could anybody tell me the name of the ATA site in order to see requirements for the exam? Thank you in advance.

Mary

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
ATA address Feb 8, 2002

You\'ll find loads of info here.

http://www.atanet.org

O María Elena Guerrero
O María Elena Guerrero  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:17
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ATA exam Feb 10, 2002

Kim, could you please tell about the possiblility of scheduling an ATA exam in Mexico City? Also, could your speak about the benefits of belonging to ATA?

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Exam in Mexico City? Feb 10, 2002

Hi Mary,

Yes, you can schedule an exam sitting in Mexico City too (or anywhere for that matter). All you really need is someone who is an accredited member of ATA who will serve as the exam proctor. The ATA will send the exams to this person and he or she will oversee the exam. Once you decide you\'d like to schedule one, get in touch with Terry Hanlen of the ATA. He will give you all the details. Our Guadalajara exam will probably take place on May 11th at the Instituto Cultural Mexic
... See more
Hi Mary,

Yes, you can schedule an exam sitting in Mexico City too (or anywhere for that matter). All you really need is someone who is an accredited member of ATA who will serve as the exam proctor. The ATA will send the exams to this person and he or she will oversee the exam. Once you decide you\'d like to schedule one, get in touch with Terry Hanlen of the ATA. He will give you all the details. Our Guadalajara exam will probably take place on May 11th at the Instituto Cultural Mexicano-Norteamericano located close to the Universidad de Guadalajara.

Thanks for asking about the benefits of ATA accreditation. I hope others will add their opinions. The main benefit I see is that it can help getting new jobs, especially if the agency or client is located in the US. There are many US agencies that insist on some sort of accreditation.

Here\'s how the ATA puts it:

Q: How will accreditation help me? Will it guarantee me a job?

A: ATA accreditation will not guarantee you work, but it can help. While there are other ways to prove yourself in the marketplace, translation agencies, bureaus and clients often look for accreditation as an initial criterion when hiring a translator. ATA accreditation is the only widely recognized measure of competence in translation.

Buen fin de semana!

Kim

Collapse

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's official Feb 11, 2002

The Guadalajara exam has been officially scheduled for 11 May. If you\'re interested, go to this site to get a registration form.

http://www.atanet.org/accred.htm

To take the test you must have been an ATA member for 4 weeks. Best wishes, Kim

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 10:17
German to English
+ ...
Kudos to you, Kim, ... Feb 25, 2002

... for organizing the exam.

If you are still looking for a good location to hold the exam, you may want to contact the school of translators in Guadalajara. I don\'t have their contact information, but I am sure you\'ll be able to find them.

From what I have heard, that school has a world-class reputation, and they may want to cooperate with ATA.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA Exam in Guadalajara

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »