Thread poster: Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
Spanish to English
Jan 25, 2002

¡Por favor!

¿Podemos tener un poco más de imaginación que contestar a una pregunta imposible con \"that\'s it\"? Y voy a continuar en inglés, porque es tarde para mi y mis neuronas ya no funcionan en castellano a estas horas.

Can\'t we come up with some better examples at least? Or have we really been reduced to being an echo of Disney characters? ¿Qué pasa por aquí? He leido que algunas ya no quieren contestar a las preguntas, por varias razones, y me entristece much
... See more
¡Por favor!

¿Podemos tener un poco más de imaginación que contestar a una pregunta imposible con \"that\'s it\"? Y voy a continuar en inglés, porque es tarde para mi y mis neuronas ya no funcionan en castellano a estas horas.

Can\'t we come up with some better examples at least? Or have we really been reduced to being an echo of Disney characters? ¿Qué pasa por aquí? He leido que algunas ya no quieren contestar a las preguntas, por varias razones, y me entristece mucho.

Pero, si eso es el nivel de Proz ahora, quizás seremos muchos los que dicen

THAT\'S IT, FOLKS.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/138421

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-25 23:07 ]
Collapse

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Así seguiremos mientras que Jan 25, 2002

se admita todo fulano que no tenga calificación alguna más que una dirección de email válida.

Camara
Camara
United States
Local time: 07:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Experiencia Jan 25, 2002

Comparto el sentimiento y es muy similar a quienes contestan \"experiencia propia\" sin ahondar, el \"experiencia propia\" flota sin sustancia y se pierde en el universo.

¡Yo no puedo tomarlos en serio!

Además he visto el \"that\'s it\" y francamente me duele el cerebro cada vez que lo leo en una respuesta.

Bueno todo esto lo digo claro por \"experiencia propia\" y...\"that\'s it folks\"

Saludos

Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
YOU ARE RIGHT, BUT PLEASE LISTEN... Jan 26, 2002

Obviously, I feel guilty, because I use that expression many times. After a long day at work, I find 30 or 40 questions posted, and I try to answer as many as possible. In order to do that in a couple of hours, I cannot spend much time answering each question in detail. Please excuse me if I am hurting you or damaging the level of Proz.

Robert Ingledew

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Robert, you'd do a lot better Jan 26, 2002

for yourself and for askers if you would answer 3 or 4 questions with adequate documentation and explanation than 30 or 40 scantily. I suggest you try to find the ones that are less likely to be answered if you don\'t take them, that is, that fit your expertise. The others, someone else will take care of. Two hours a day is way too long to spend on KudoZ. Take it easy.

AndrewBM
AndrewBM
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is it a bit like searching for the squid? Jan 27, 2002

http://www.stanford.edu/~lschmidt/fun.htm

Enjoy!
[addsig]

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ego te absolvo.... Jan 27, 2002

but go and sin no more, my overburdened and (perhaps, to those uncharitably inclined) over-KudoZ-ed child!

Quote:

On 2002-01-26 01:58, ingledew wrote:

Obviously, I feel guilty, because I use that expression many times. After a long day at work, I find 30 or 40 questions posted, and I try to answer as many as possible. In order to do that in a couple of hours, ... See more
but go and sin no more, my overburdened and (perhaps, to those uncharitably inclined) over-KudoZ-ed child!

Quote:

On 2002-01-26 01:58, ingledew wrote:

Obviously, I feel guilty, because I use that expression many times. After a long day at work, I find 30 or 40 questions posted, and I try to answer as many as possible. In order to do that in a couple of hours, I cannot spend much time answering each question in detail. Please excuse me if I am hurting you or damaging the level of Proz.

Robert Ingledew

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-27 04:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-27 04:27 ]Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Esto no es un ataque personal Jan 29, 2002

Quiero dejar bien claro que no era mi intención lanzar un ataque personal contra Robert. Si se fija en la pregunta en cuestión, dos personas habían escrito “that’s it”, y por eso me llamó tanto la atención. Empecé a preguntarme que sería de Kudoz si todos pusiéramos “that’s it” o “OK?” o algo por el estilo en nuestras respuestas. Nada más.

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aquí un otro. Jan 29, 2002

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/140178

How many other things can you find wrong in this picture?

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
wrong place, wrong time / To Jon Jan 29, 2002

Some funny things happen here.

We definitely have excessively polite answerers, who have the crystal ball on (fully charged) to try and figure out what some askers want. C\'mon, didn\'t you know that when some people post their question in the EN>ES section they really mean IT>FR?.

A person posted \"Autoestraente\" (Italian for self-extracting) in the ES>EN community.

The Turkish doctor who works Turkish-English gave the English translation(I guess beca
... See more
Some funny things happen here.

We definitely have excessively polite answerers, who have the crystal ball on (fully charged) to try and figure out what some askers want. C\'mon, didn\'t you know that when some people post their question in the EN>ES section they really mean IT>FR?.

A person posted \"Autoestraente\" (Italian for self-extracting) in the ES>EN community.

The Turkish doctor who works Turkish-English gave the English translation(I guess because of the >EN part of the question), but the other answerers (none of them works in Spanish) hit the nail with the French; probably this same asker had been asking related questions into French? Who knows .

But despite the obvious wrong posting, the asker miraculously got the answer. However, he or she only gave poor Steven Geller 1 point with a somehow patronizing tone in the thank-you message.

This is not a case of people answering everything; on the contrary, I think all these answerers were really trying to help a rather confused colleague (maybe because she or he is a native speaker of three languages and works in any combination of four - the three \"native\" and an extra one?)

Regards,

Patricia

[addsig]
Collapse

urst
urst  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:34
German to Spanish
+ ...
That's it. Well, it ain't. Jan 30, 2002

I agree with the originator of this thread that this sort of comment to a translation sucks, pardon my french. We all know that there\'s almost always more than one valid translation of a term posted. So if the answerer has no other reference to provide than the dreaded and btw not very helpful, sometimes misleading \'That\'s it\' thingee, heshe could, for example, add IMHO (that\'s more like it). No matter how experienced you are and/or how many hours you spent googling in search of an answer, ... See more
I agree with the originator of this thread that this sort of comment to a translation sucks, pardon my french. We all know that there\'s almost always more than one valid translation of a term posted. So if the answerer has no other reference to provide than the dreaded and btw not very helpful, sometimes misleading \'That\'s it\' thingee, heshe could, for example, add IMHO (that\'s more like it). No matter how experienced you are and/or how many hours you spent googling in search of an answer, chances are your IT isn\'t IT at all. QED, as you all have reported in this or other threads.

Still, ProZ is an excellent resource and I am glad you are out there.

Keep up the good work.

That\'s (about) it.

Urst

P.D. Lo siento, debería haber escrito esto en español.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-30 12:05 ]
Collapse

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not a whole lot more like it, I'd say. Jan 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-30 01:45, urst wrote:

So if the answerer has no other reference to provide than the dreaded and btw not very helpful, sometimes misleading \'That\'s it\' thingee, heshe could, for example, add IMHO (that\'s more like it).

La actitud es lo de menos, lo que toca los cojones es la falta de referencias. E, ironicamente, más aún con las respuestas mejores, es ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-30 01:45, urst wrote:

So if the answerer has no other reference to provide than the dreaded and btw not very helpful, sometimes misleading \'That\'s it\' thingee, heshe could, for example, add IMHO (that\'s more like it).

La actitud es lo de menos, lo que toca los cojones es la falta de referencias. E, ironicamente, más aún con las respuestas mejores, es decir las no descartables de entrada, pues pueden ser acertadas pero uno no saaabe. ▲ Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about writing IOWTEK? Jan 31, 2002

It stands for: I only want to earn KudoZ.

Though it is not true in all cases, it is in some of them.

We all like getting KudoZ, but I think we must draw a line .... somewhere.

Regards,

BSD

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

That\'s it, folks

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »