Thread poster: Tonia Tell-Cerexhe
Tonia Tell-Cerexhe
Tonia Tell-Cerexhe
Sweden
Local time: 21:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 17, 2002

Am I the only one getting really mad at such postings? I am seeing more and more such enormous jobs being offered ... to such low prices. And people are bidding!!! Do they not pay taxes??? I mean, even if one uses Trados and other such tools, it does not add up.

I know that this is a Global and free market, but by accepting such conditions we are lowering the job quality for everybody.

And then we criticise McDonald\'s for going to low paying countries to make their toys. Wha
... See more
Am I the only one getting really mad at such postings? I am seeing more and more such enormous jobs being offered ... to such low prices. And people are bidding!!! Do they not pay taxes??? I mean, even if one uses Trados and other such tools, it does not add up.

I know that this is a Global and free market, but by accepting such conditions we are lowering the job quality for everybody.

And then we criticise McDonald\'s for going to low paying countries to make their toys. What is the difference here?

Tonia

[addsig]
Collapse

max (X)
max (X)
Local time: 12:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
Escándalo y abuso Jan 18, 2002

Al igual que Tonia pienso que es realmente un abuso y escándalo que ofrezcan un trabajo por este precio e inaudito que haya colegas que acepten las tarifas. No te inquietes que a mí también me indigna realmente lo que está pasando y veo que por más que se hable del asunto y se reclame seguirán tratando de obtener los trabajos gratis, al paso que vamos. No sé que iremos a hacer para consolidarnos como profesionales de la traducción. Tal vez podamos iniciar una campaña para ayudarnos a es... See more
Al igual que Tonia pienso que es realmente un abuso y escándalo que ofrezcan un trabajo por este precio e inaudito que haya colegas que acepten las tarifas. No te inquietes que a mí también me indigna realmente lo que está pasando y veo que por más que se hable del asunto y se reclame seguirán tratando de obtener los trabajos gratis, al paso que vamos. No sé que iremos a hacer para consolidarnos como profesionales de la traducción. Tal vez podamos iniciar una campaña para ayudarnos a establecer tarifas mínimas. CristinaCollapse

Dora O'Malley
Dora O'Malley  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:21
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I give them the Translation Sweat Shop Award Feb 14, 2002

Sometimes I send them a message like this:

Congratulations!

You have won the Translation Sweat Shop Award of the Day.

All translators who have spent more than seven years studying their language pairs, and who have spent thousands of dollars to keep up with technology and use state-of-the-art equipment, develop glossary databases and spend hours researching, translating, editing and proofing text, will celebrate your nomination.

... See more
Sometimes I send them a message like this:

Congratulations!

You have won the Translation Sweat Shop Award of the Day.

All translators who have spent more than seven years studying their language pairs, and who have spent thousands of dollars to keep up with technology and use state-of-the-art equipment, develop glossary databases and spend hours researching, translating, editing and proofing text, will celebrate your nomination.

You are well positioned to win the Translation Sweat Shop of the Year Award.

Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 15:21
German to English
+ ...
Reply to Tonia Feb 14, 2002

Tonia,

Don\'t forget: you only see the number of bids received, but not the actual bids. My feeling (or hope) is that most of these are messages from disgruntled translators telling the outsourcers where to stick their cheap jobs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scandal: 200.000 words, 2 cents per word

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »