Myspace.com
Thread poster: lingomania
lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 09:55
Italian to English
Jun 9, 2007

I'm sure many people here know it, but for the benefit of those who don't, Myspace is a networking site NOT only for kids to interact and other "frivolous" activities, but for serious networking with regards to all fields. I personally know a few professional translators and interpreters who are on there (from Germany) and I know of other friends who have received job offers of all sorts through it. Does anyone here have a Myspace account? What do you think of the site? Do you think it's only fo... See more
I'm sure many people here know it, but for the benefit of those who don't, Myspace is a networking site NOT only for kids to interact and other "frivolous" activities, but for serious networking with regards to all fields. I personally know a few professional translators and interpreters who are on there (from Germany) and I know of other friends who have received job offers of all sorts through it. Does anyone here have a Myspace account? What do you think of the site? Do you think it's only for kids and 'unprofessional' people?

Rob
Collapse

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 01:55
English to Italian
+ ...
and here I am! Jun 13, 2007

Hi Rob..of course, here I am..
I had a My space account but I never really used it. I was actually thinking of starting a new one soon, possibly for professional services.
I knew of My Space at its very beginning. I was a fan of a band who moved its website there and you needed to subscribe for premium news and opportunities. Then i thought it was nice and opened my page. I actually think it is such an interesting new way of being known! Myspace, just llike second life, is a real ph
... See more
Hi Rob..of course, here I am..
I had a My space account but I never really used it. I was actually thinking of starting a new one soon, possibly for professional services.
I knew of My Space at its very beginning. I was a fan of a band who moved its website there and you needed to subscribe for premium news and opportunities. Then i thought it was nice and opened my page. I actually think it is such an interesting new way of being known! Myspace, just llike second life, is a real phenomenon! I was more tempted to launch my webspace on second life, trying to sell my professional services (anything goes to market yourself) but now that you tell me some of your friends tanslators had response, I might change and make a new account on myspace.
Actually I think we should profit of spaces like that. Lots of people use it regularly, of course there is a chance to get some work. Plus probably not many translators opened an account there..so, even less competition

fra
Collapse

Nadine Kahn
Nadine Kahn  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Make use of it Jun 13, 2007

... on a private basis. Musicwise. Friendwise.

First, I thought it was crappy and unstable. By now I've found that it is unstable, but okay for the (more or less) daily gossip.

What is so different about the networking option?

I don't think it's very professional, to be honest. I'd think there are better and, more importantly, more reliable methods of communicating.

Nadine

lingomania
lingomania
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
The biggest Jun 14, 2007

Myspace is unstable at times like all FREE networking systems, but frankly I don't see its unreliability. If I'm not mistaken, it's the niggest free networking system on the net and that means more possibility of getting yourself known and having fun at the same time.....two "virtues" that normally do not go hand in hand.

Rob

lingomania
lingomania
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Less competition Jun 14, 2007

Hello Francesca. I agree with you about there being less competion for translators and interpreters on Myspace. There is a German friend who told me she gets 40% of her work off Myspace....for free to boot.

Rob

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
what kind of offers? Jun 14, 2007

Hi Nadine,
I see you have an account as a translator then? Sorry if I ask, can you describe what kind of translation offers did you receive? Just to have an idea of the type of requests that you may find there. Did you get any interesting or valuable offer or just (for example) lyrics to be translated or personal web pages?..I don't know, just guessing..

Thanks
Francesca

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:55
Italian to English
+ ...
facebook v myspace Jun 15, 2007

Having tried both, in my opinion facebook is streets ahead of myspace and much more professional-looking in its layout. I personally like to keep my personal and work life separate and don't advertise myself as a translator there so I'm not sure how networking would really work but I would recommend facebook over myspace as a social networking site any day. Check it out.
Let us know how you get on!
Have a good weekend,
Amy

[Edited at 2007-06-15 11:58]

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
separate lives Jun 15, 2007

like Amy, I use Facebook, but not for work at all - just for keeping up with friends. I had a request from a translator colleague, whom I have never met, to be a 'friend' but turned it down, as I don't necessarily want 'work people' seeing where I'm going for dinner at the weekend! I like a certain amount of privacy.

My sister's band (A Genuine Freakshow) use myspace to promote themselves, and it seems to work very well for that.

lingomania
lingomania
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Angela Jun 15, 2007

I didn't know about Facebook at all. Thank you. All I know is that Myspace.com is the biggest networking on the Net and recently Tom, the "boss", sent a newsletter/bulletin stating that Myspace has accomplished new privacy, anti-phishing and anti-spam devices to defintely keep out hackers and crackers form the site...which should 'translate' as more security.

Rob

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
do you use it? Jun 21, 2007

hi Rob,

Do you use myspace to promote yourself then? You sound like you're trying to sell it to us...

lingomania
lingomania
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not for my work Jun 21, 2007

I don't use it for my work personally, but I know some of my German colleagues use it to get work. I don't know how they've set up their networking, but they use it. I use it to get as much info as possible on my hobby...that is....music. It's not your classic work networking if that's what you want to know, but you can use it to your advantage along with other networking sites......and have fun, meet people at the same time.

Robert

Nadine Kahn
Nadine Kahn  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not work related Jun 22, 2007

francesca battaglia wrote:

Hi Nadine,
I see you have an account as a translator then? Sorry if I ask, can you describe what kind of translation offers did you receive? Just to have an idea of the type of requests that you may find there. Did you get any interesting or valuable offer or just (for example) lyrics to be translated or personal web pages?..I don't know, just guessing..

Thanks
Francesca

Ciao Francesca!

No, I don't have a translator account and I didn't know there was a (special?!) option for sort of promoting your translation services. Personally, I wouldn't go to MySpace, if I needed a translator, but that's just me. Perhaps it's a neat thing...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Myspace.com

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »