Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
Local time: 23:19
French to English
+ ...
GMT without time! Jul 16, 2009

ICL wrote:

[It] turned out quite long, so right now I have absolutely no time to translate it, so I included a link to a Spanish version of it using the Google MT tool (this is probably blasmephy to some people, but hey, it is a rather practical solution when you have no time for doing the translation yourself).

Ivette

Well you do say "to get an idea of this article in Spanish"

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:19
English to Dutch
+ ...
NO Jul 16, 2009

Another simple NO.

Suyash Suprabh
Suyash Suprabh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:49
English to Hindi
+ ...
Yes Jul 16, 2009

My blog on translation and Hindi (in Hindi) : http://anuvaadkiduniya.blogspot.com

I enjoy sharing whatever I have learned as a translator over the years.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:19
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes! Jul 16, 2009

love blogs and I have a music one... starting another one on more personal matters...

G

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 17:19
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Yes, and it's fun! Jul 16, 2009

I think that blogging is fun! I like sharing my ideas and getting feedback. It is only time consuming if you make it so. Our industry has its ups and downs, and blogging is a good way to fill in the gaps when business is slow (or less hectic).

You are all most welcome to view my blog: Spanish Legal Translation.

Lydia Foster
Lydia Foster  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but not directly translation-related Jul 16, 2009

I started writing one about 6 months ago, but the theme is not translation-related, rather on my pet subject (food and all things food/gastronomy related).
For me, it's a good outlet to freely express myself in English. I tend to be surrounded all day by my source language, so it's a good way for me to keep in touch with my native language and wind down after a long day trying to rewrite/translate badly written texts.

One of the main points of interest is comparing customs/ap
... See more
I started writing one about 6 months ago, but the theme is not translation-related, rather on my pet subject (food and all things food/gastronomy related).
For me, it's a good outlet to freely express myself in English. I tend to be surrounded all day by my source language, so it's a good way for me to keep in touch with my native language and wind down after a long day trying to rewrite/translate badly written texts.

One of the main points of interest is comparing customs/approaches to food between Spain and Ireland, so naturally translation does come into it every so often, but rather focusing on the cultural differences that I find as being a foreigner in Spain...

I'm not a devote writer, only writing when I feel like I have something to say or I've been inspired by some recipe or product..
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Jul 16, 2009

I started a blog in order to show my youngest daughter how to start hers. Since then it serves the same purpose as the scrapbook I had when I was a child: it's simply a collection of images that I like (photos taken when we go birdwatching) and other odds and ends, intended for personal enjoyment rather than dialogue with others.

Very recently I got started in Facebook and I use that mainly to be in touch with former work colleagues, friends who live abroad and -most of all- my niec
... See more
I started a blog in order to show my youngest daughter how to start hers. Since then it serves the same purpose as the scrapbook I had when I was a child: it's simply a collection of images that I like (photos taken when we go birdwatching) and other odds and ends, intended for personal enjoyment rather than dialogue with others.

Very recently I got started in Facebook and I use that mainly to be in touch with former work colleagues, friends who live abroad and -most of all- my nieces and nephews because I don't see all of them every week. Today one of them challenged me to a game about characters in TV series: needless to say, she beat me, since I don't go any further than Friends and Gilmore Girls, but it was fun anyway.

In my next coffee break I must check that art and photography blog that Anthony mentions!

Collapse

Mónica Sauza
Mónica Sauza  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 16, 2009

I agree with all other colleagues who have answered "no". We spend too much time in front of the computer.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I answered "Other"... Jul 16, 2009

... Cause 'No', and I don't do social networking. I'm not interested, e-mail is enough for me.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Off topic: @ Sandra Petch Jul 16, 2009

Sandra Petch wrote:

ICL wrote:

[It] turned out quite long, so right now I have absolutely no time to translate it, so I included a link to a Spanish version of it using the Google MT tool (this is probably blasmephy to some people, but hey, it is a rather practical solution when you have no time for doing the translation yourself).

Ivette

Well you do say "to get an idea of this article in Spanish"

Hi Sandra,

Exactly, my comment is actually a "warning", because I certainly know that so far Google MT has not beat me when it comes to the translation quality race, but it does keep reminding me of "Space Odyssey 2001" and Hal...

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another no and the reason... Jul 16, 2009

Mónica Sauza wrote:

I agree with all other colleagues who have answered "no". We spend too much time in front of the computer.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:19
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 16, 2009

and no Facebook.

Maria Drangel
Maria Drangel  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes, I do social networking Jul 16, 2009

I find social networking a great way to stay in contact with my friends in different parts of the world, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Switzerland, Germany etc.

I actually find it developing to my proffession to have daily contacts with native speakers of my source languages, and many of them have come to my aid when I had some tricky things I needed help with fast...

I couldn´t imagine to stop social networking, although I see that a lot of people in here se
... See more
I find social networking a great way to stay in contact with my friends in different parts of the world, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Switzerland, Germany etc.

I actually find it developing to my proffession to have daily contacts with native speakers of my source languages, and many of them have come to my aid when I had some tricky things I needed help with fast...

I couldn´t imagine to stop social networking, although I see that a lot of people in here seem to think that it is a waste of time... For me it works great and I like it, that is all I can say
Collapse

Helena Genel
Helena Genel
United States
Local time: 14:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
No blogs Jul 16, 2009

but several websites on different topics.

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Jul 16, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

No, I don't have a blog. No, I don't want one. And no, I don't do social networking.

Marina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Poll: Do you have a blog?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »