How would you compare Twitter to other networking sites?
Thread poster: Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
German to English
Jul 8, 2009

Hi all,

So far I'm only registered on ProZ and LinkedIn and am quite satisfied with both for networking purposes. I've purposely chosen not to register with sites like Facebook and Twitter as I would like to keep online networking as professional as possible and I also feel it would be too much to keep track of.

Recently, I've had messages from two of my LinkedIn groups saying that they've started groups on Twitter and encouraging me to join, indicating that they think
... See more
Hi all,

So far I'm only registered on ProZ and LinkedIn and am quite satisfied with both for networking purposes. I've purposely chosen not to register with sites like Facebook and Twitter as I would like to keep online networking as professional as possible and I also feel it would be too much to keep track of.

Recently, I've had messages from two of my LinkedIn groups saying that they've started groups on Twitter and encouraging me to join, indicating that they think Twitter is actually a better networking site. I know discussing politics is against the forum rules, and I'm not going to, but I was quite impressed by the role Twitter played during the problems in Iran after the recent election results there.

How would those of you who use it rate Twitter compared to other social networking sites? Do you feel it benefits you more than, say, LinkedIn or Facebook, and if so, in what ways?

Thanks for any comments, and site staff, please do let me know if discussing other networking venues is against the forum rules

Best regards,
Niraja
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Previous thread on this topic Jul 8, 2009

I just did a forum search and found that this topic was discussed last month:

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/132247-introducing_twitter_to_contact_details-page2.html

Quite a few colleagues also discussed Twitter in a recent poll discussion on social networking sites.

Sorry for the
... See more
I just did a forum search and found that this topic was discussed last month:

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/132247-introducing_twitter_to_contact_details-page2.html

Quite a few colleagues also discussed Twitter in a recent poll discussion on social networking sites.

Sorry for the repetition, but I would still welcome your input if you feel like discussing it again
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:43
Japanese to English
Both time consuming and useless fun Jul 8, 2009

I've been playing around in LinkedIn for a while and I've enjoyed talking to a range of people on there. It hasn't resulted in any work, although I've found out a lot about bees and boar hunting. The groups I've signed up with are tightly controlled and the tone of discussion is very subdued, but interesting nonetheless. Spam is dealt with ruthlessly

Yesterday I signed up with Twitter so that I can post a log of my work on my website
... See more
I've been playing around in LinkedIn for a while and I've enjoyed talking to a range of people on there. It hasn't resulted in any work, although I've found out a lot about bees and boar hunting. The groups I've signed up with are tightly controlled and the tone of discussion is very subdued, but interesting nonetheless. Spam is dealt with ruthlessly

Yesterday I signed up with Twitter so that I can post a log of my work on my website in real time.
http://walterstranslation.com/E7-Latest_Work.htm
I don't know if this has any value yet, but it was fun setting it up.
I'm now being deluged with emails from Twitter telling me that a whole bunch of clearly spammy entities have, by some automated magic, become my followers. I'll watch with interest to see if any real people take an interest.

Incidentally, it was interesting that the Tweets that came out of Iran were in English and not Persian. Very convenient that.
Collapse

Tonia Wind
Tonia Wind
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:43
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like Facebook, but think Twitter is pointless (for me, at least) Jul 8, 2009

Hi, Niraja!

I signed up on Facebook at the request of an old high school friend of mine. She told me that a lot of people from high school were on there (like I really CARE what these people are doing nowadays, but still...). It is a fun kind of site with pointless quizzes, etc. for you to do (what color is your aura, what is your hidden talent, etc.). I wouldn't use it for professional networking, though.

In my opinion, ProZ is the best choice for meeting up with othe
... See more
Hi, Niraja!

I signed up on Facebook at the request of an old high school friend of mine. She told me that a lot of people from high school were on there (like I really CARE what these people are doing nowadays, but still...). It is a fun kind of site with pointless quizzes, etc. for you to do (what color is your aura, what is your hidden talent, etc.). I wouldn't use it for professional networking, though.

In my opinion, ProZ is the best choice for meeting up with other language professionals. The other sites are really more for fun. I signed up for Twitter too, but after a couple of odd followers deciding to follow my one (and very boring) posting on the site, I decided that it would be best to refrain from posting anything else on that site!

I guess that it is a personal decision, but for me I kind of think that business is business and I wouldn't expect to drum up any meaningful contacts from sites like Facebook and Twitter.

All the best,

Tonia
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Article about social networking sites Jul 9, 2009

Hi Niraja and all,

I just wanted to add, to what has already been said here and in the thread you made reference to, the link to an article just published at TechRepublic.com, which incidentally is about social networking sites:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=851

I find the article very much "food for thought" when considering our involvement in various social or professional networking sites. For example:

Most of us don slightly different personas depending on where we are and who we’re with. We don’t act the same or say the same things when we go to dinner with mom and dad as when we’re out with longtime friends, and we adopt yet another demeanor when we’re dining with business associates. Yet our social networks may bring people from all these groups, and others, together. That’s why it’s important to sit down and think about a few issues before you begin building a social network — and plan a strategy that will let you enjoy its benefits without doing harm to your career, your marriage, or your friendships.

Cheers,

Ivette

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 10, 2009

Thanks Rod, Tonia and Ivette for your replies.

I've decided to keep things as they are for the time being and not join Twitter or Facebook. After watching some of the ProZ.com conference videos in the video section and having a look at photos of the recently held conference in Ohrid, I feel the best thing is probably to try and meet people in person, although right now a computer screen in my home office seems more a
... See more
Thanks Rod, Tonia and Ivette for your replies.

I've decided to keep things as they are for the time being and not join Twitter or Facebook. After watching some of the ProZ.com conference videos in the video section and having a look at photos of the recently held conference in Ohrid, I feel the best thing is probably to try and meet people in person, although right now a computer screen in my home office seems more accessible
Collapse

John Bunch
John Bunch  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:43
German to English
Twitter and Facebook Oct 18, 2010

I personally find Facebook to be too much "living in a glass house". It is too transparent, if you know what I mean. It is also full of trivial things I don't really need or want to know about friends and a lot of people I barely know. I like Twitter much more. Twitter seems to be more "about things", about what is happening, and is not as ego-centric as Facebook, which I think is really more about navel-gazing. Someone put it this way: "Facebook is people you went to high school with", "Twitter... See more
I personally find Facebook to be too much "living in a glass house". It is too transparent, if you know what I mean. It is also full of trivial things I don't really need or want to know about friends and a lot of people I barely know. I like Twitter much more. Twitter seems to be more "about things", about what is happening, and is not as ego-centric as Facebook, which I think is really more about navel-gazing. Someone put it this way: "Facebook is people you went to high school with", "Twitter is people you wish you had gone to high school with".Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How would you compare Twitter to other networking sites?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »