Any SmartCAT users around? What's your take on SmartCAT?
Thread poster: BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:58
English to French
+ ...
Sep 25, 2019

Hello Prozians,

Asking this question as one of my nicest clients is thinking about using SmartCAT - and hence I would probably have to use it myself.

I believe the idea is to use an online TM tool so that various linguists who work on projects can tap into a common, updated glossary (and not so much about saving on repetitions/matches – the bulk of the work with this client does not feature much in terms of matches).

What is your general experienc
... See more
Hello Prozians,

Asking this question as one of my nicest clients is thinking about using SmartCAT - and hence I would probably have to use it myself.

I believe the idea is to use an online TM tool so that various linguists who work on projects can tap into a common, updated glossary (and not so much about saving on repetitions/matches – the bulk of the work with this client does not feature much in terms of matches).

What is your general experience with SmartCAT? Ease of use, learning curve, is this the right tool for simply applying a common glossary?

Thank you for your input.

Jean-Louis
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not too bad Sep 27, 2019

In addition to the usual offline CAT tools, many clients are now asking me to use new cloud base tools nowadays, to the point the I find it difficult to remember which one is which - XTM, Wordbee, SmartCat and I can't remember what else... When I get one of these translations, I open the tool, kind of quickly learn it again and work with what I have. I soon remember from experience, but when I am not working with a specific tool I cannot really remember the details.

Having said that
... See more
In addition to the usual offline CAT tools, many clients are now asking me to use new cloud base tools nowadays, to the point the I find it difficult to remember which one is which - XTM, Wordbee, SmartCat and I can't remember what else... When I get one of these translations, I open the tool, kind of quickly learn it again and work with what I have. I soon remember from experience, but when I am not working with a specific tool I cannot really remember the details.

Having said that, I have now launched SmartCat just to try and answer your question and found that my client implementation does not look too bad. Certainly not difficult to use, reasonably complete with basic features, and it gives the option to download the bilingual file after translation. This is one of the most important features for me because it allows me to apply my own way of checking my work before delivery, apply checklists and other offline tools, compare with my own glossary, etc.

About the glossary: in the case of this implementation, I do not have the option to add new terms into the common glossary. Which is not necessarily a bad thing: in general, I do not like having unvetted editing of the glossary by multiple colleagues. I think a responsible person should rather make the final decisions having a complete view of the whole project even if this requires a more complex workflow.
Collapse

BabelOn-line

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Luca Sep 27, 2019

Thanks you ever so much for taking the time to fire up your SmartCAT and provide this detailed answer.

100% agree with you when it comes to glossaries. This is exactly the problem my client has: the glossary is actually a list of previously translated sentences, with multiple copy and paste (made by end-client), edits, no versioning. In the days, we had a language sub-editor to keep the wheels on, but this era is long gone.

Since asking the question on Proz, it seems t
... See more
Thanks you ever so much for taking the time to fire up your SmartCAT and provide this detailed answer.

100% agree with you when it comes to glossaries. This is exactly the problem my client has: the glossary is actually a list of previously translated sentences, with multiple copy and paste (made by end-client), edits, no versioning. In the days, we had a language sub-editor to keep the wheels on, but this era is long gone.

Since asking the question on Proz, it seems that the fundamental issue is: who owns the glossary? Who is in charge of updating it? And the thorny one: who is willing tp pay for the maintenance of a glossary?

Looks to me that, we could provide a text or Excel CSV-delimited glossary and let each linguist use their own offline TM. I cannot imagine a TM that can't import a bilingual text fil. And indeed, for the few of us who do not use a TM yet, offer an on-line solution.

Apparently, SmartCAT also insists on handling the payments (from end-client and to linguists). This would, as far as i am concerned, be a massive red flag.

Again, thanks for your time

Kind regards
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
You can always export/import XLIFF files Sep 27, 2019

And if you don't like it or wish to work from your preferred CAT tool, you can still export and import the documents as XLIFF files (adnd leave it open just for querying the glossary/termbase):

https://helpsc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000240072-Export-XLIFF-from-Smartcat

[Edited at 2019-09-27 14:19 GMT]

BabelOn-line

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jean Sep 27, 2019

Hi Jean

This is for a client, they were asking around to their linguists for advice.

Turns out that the main concern is indeed the ability to use bilingual glossaries. Which of course you can easily do in CafeTran - and I would imagine in more or less any offline TM.

So I think the discussion is now less a technical one (around "which TM, online or offline") and more around the "who owns and updates the dictionary", as linguists can probably work on heir
... See more
Hi Jean

This is for a client, they were asking around to their linguists for advice.

Turns out that the main concern is indeed the ability to use bilingual glossaries. Which of course you can easily do in CafeTran - and I would imagine in more or less any offline TM.

So I think the discussion is now less a technical one (around "which TM, online or offline") and more around the "who owns and updates the dictionary", as linguists can probably work on heir TM of choice.

What I heard re SmartCAT was that apparently (have not checked it myself) , it was not allowing linguists to export and keep their own TM. If true, that would be a no goer as far as i am concerned. Also, there is a level of "we will handle everything for you on line including your admin and payments" that i am quite uncomfortable with.

Anyway, still on the learning curve with CafeTran but I like its dependability and the interface, so all good so far>

Have a great weekend.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:58
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
SmartCAT is the client, not just a platform Apr 28, 2020

BabelOn-line wrote:

Apparently, SmartCAT also insists on handling the payments (from end-client and to linguists). This would, as far as i am concerned, be a massive red flag.

That makes SmartCAT the translators' client, not simply a translation platform. In which case the normal due diligence is called for.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HI John, Apr 28, 2020

Thx for your input.

There is no way I am letting a third party anywhere near a client of mine, especially if I have just given this third party the treasure map (i.e. the glossary and terminology base).

Due diligence done, I am afraid it is a no go.

Kind regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any SmartCAT users around? What's your take on SmartCAT?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »