typing assistant
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:17
Dutch to English
Jun 17, 2015

Saw a banner for a typing assistant on this site (http://www.sumitsoft.com/). Anyone use it? Any good? I would want to use it in addition to the autosuggest functionality in Studio and MemoQ.

Thanks,

Olly

Edit: downloaded the trial and am using it right now. Works in addition to the CAT tools mentioned above (separate popup that competes somewhat with the CAT tool's auto
... See more
Saw a banner for a typing assistant on this site (http://www.sumitsoft.com/). Anyone use it? Any good? I would want to use it in addition to the autosuggest functionality in Studio and MemoQ.

Thanks,

Olly

Edit: downloaded the trial and am using it right now. Works in addition to the CAT tools mentioned above (separate popup that competes somewhat with the CAT tool's autosuggest). First impression is that it will be useful for long words and correcting typos.

[Edited at 2015-06-17 06:31 GMT]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:17
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Would prefer less to more Jun 17, 2015

Rather than wanting any more "assistance" with word completion etc. I would sooner do away with what I have. It often gets it wrong and I'd prefer to rely on myself to get it right.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wrong and right Jun 17, 2015

Intelligent autocomplete can't get it wrong, only the writer can. Intelligent autocomplete doesn't actually automatically complete, but offers suggestions that you can either use or ignore as you see fit.

Olly

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Better Jun 17, 2015

Dictation software is a better bet. I like using the Dictation software that comes with the MacOS because (a) I don't have to type (b) the software spells everything correctly.

....except for "high" which it insists on typing as "hi".

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dictation Jun 17, 2015

Dictation won't do it for me; there's often too much noise in the background (kids, music).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mike Jun 17, 2015

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Dictation won't do it for me; there's often too much noise in the background (kids, music).

A directional head microphone would probably solve that for you

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:17
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Breaks the flow Jun 17, 2015

I find such autocompletion tools very annoying. When I have my fingers on the letter keys I don't want to reach for the arrow keys to navigate a list of options nor reach for the mouse. That's why I work with keyboard shortcuts and use access keys heavily (those Alt+letter combinations which activate the GUI element that has the corresponding letter underlined in its label). Too bad that memoQ still has many conflicting access keys.

[Edited at 2015-06-17 14:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-
... See more
I find such autocompletion tools very annoying. When I have my fingers on the letter keys I don't want to reach for the arrow keys to navigate a list of options nor reach for the mouse. That's why I work with keyboard shortcuts and use access keys heavily (those Alt+letter combinations which activate the GUI element that has the corresponding letter underlined in its label). Too bad that memoQ still has many conflicting access keys.

[Edited at 2015-06-17 14:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-06-17 14:55 GMT]
Collapse

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:17
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I use it and recommend it Jun 17, 2015

I have been using Typing Assistant for quite some time. Very useful. Especially for languages with long words. It can also remember phrases. Has more useful features.

Some of my friends, like the colleague above, find it annoying. But for me it works fine. You can always switch it off, if you do not need it or it starts giving you pop-ups that you do not need.

So my recommendation is positive. I am using TA even while writing this response......
See more
I have been using Typing Assistant for quite some time. Very useful. Especially for languages with long words. It can also remember phrases. Has more useful features.

Some of my friends, like the colleague above, find it annoying. But for me it works fine. You can always switch it off, if you do not need it or it starts giving you pop-ups that you do not need.

So my recommendation is positive. I am using TA even while writing this response...
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
So how did you dictate this? Jun 17, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

....except for "high" which it insists on typing as "hi".

So how did you dictate that difference?

Yes indeed, the built-in Dictation is rather good. It even supports 'advanced commands'. http://cafetran.wikidot.com/dictation

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

typing assistant

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »