Thread poster: Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:01
English to French
+ ...
Jun 12, 2015

Well, it is that time of year when the "old" desktop is starting to look and feel its age (4 years, a dinosaur...), and I am starting to look around for ideas, or even a rethink of what is necessary.

Anyway, has anybody got recommendation about new-ish technologies to improve/facilitate daily translation tasks (beyond traditional translation memories)?

Has anybody tried to setup a real home network with a server for all the heavy duty tasks and workstations to move roun
... See more
Well, it is that time of year when the "old" desktop is starting to look and feel its age (4 years, a dinosaur...), and I am starting to look around for ideas, or even a rethink of what is necessary.

Anyway, has anybody got recommendation about new-ish technologies to improve/facilitate daily translation tasks (beyond traditional translation memories)?

Has anybody tried to setup a real home network with a server for all the heavy duty tasks and workstations to move round the house/town/world?
Collapse

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:01
German to English
+ ...
Nope! Jun 12, 2015

I just keep everything on a USB stick. I haven't really embraced the cloud yet, partly because it my infringe the various NDAs I've signed. I do have DropBox for personal use and find that ok, so I could see how it could work for translation purposes subject to NDA issues.

If it's a question of what is necessary, what is really essential beyond a laptop, WiFi, MS Office and your choice of TM software (including no CAT at all)?

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
4 years isn't old Jun 12, 2015

A 4-year-old PC should work just fine for the usual translation tasks. If it is slow, it's time to reinstall Windows - and I don't mean to use a repair option, you'll need to back up your data, wipe the disk completely and reinstall the OS from scratch. You may also want to open up the case and clean the innards thoroughly - sometimes a dusty computer starts to overheat and slows down automatically to protect itself.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Life support Jun 15, 2015

Anton Konashenok wrote:
A 4-year-old PC should work just fine for the usual translation tasks. If it is slow, it's time to reinstall Windows - and I don't mean to use a repair option, you'll need to back up your data, wipe the disk completely and reinstall the OS from scratch. You may also want to open up the case and clean the innards thoroughly - sometimes a dusty computer starts to overheat and slows down automatically to protect itself.

Before considering releasing old equipment and heavy metal and plastic to the environment, I do like Anton, which usually improves the machine response very significantly if you have 2 days of free time to back up and reinstall your apps and data.
You can also buy 50/100 euros of additional RAM to give the machine a little more kick.

Philippe

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
SSD Jun 15, 2015

Jean-Christophe Duc wrote:

For hardware, try migrating your hard disk to an SSD. Noticeably quicker than a traditional drive.

Dan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
SSD Jun 15, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

Jean-Christophe Duc wrote:

For hardware, try migrating your hard disk to an SSD. Noticeably quicker than a traditional drive.

Dan

I've heard that SSDs are impressively fast at first, but that they slow down over time (particularly with heavy use such as translation software etc.) because they can't defragment themselves or clean up partly-used sectors - especially if you are using a third-party SSD without TRIM or if you allow the computer to go into sleep mode (thereby preventing TRIM from doing its cleanup work). I have also read that if your computer crashes for any reason and you're using an SSD, it may be impossible to reboot. For those reasons, and because I'm not in the least bit concerned about speed (I have zero speed problems) when I recently upgraded my system I installed a good old "traditional" hard drive (but one that runs faster) and am perfectly happy with it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-solid-state-drives-slow-down-as-you-fill-them-up/

[Edited at 2015-06-15 10:27 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The solution for conventional hard disks Jun 15, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I've heard that SSDs are impressively fast at first, but that they slow down over time (particularly with heavy use such as translation software etc.) because they can't defragment themselves or clean up partly-used sectors - especially if you are using a third-party SSD without TRIM or if you allow the computer to go into sleep mode (thereby preventing TRIM from doing its cleanup work). I have also read that if your computer crashes for any reason and you're using an SSD, it may be impossible to reboot. For those reasons, and because I'm not in the least bit concerned about speed (I have zero speed problems) when I recently upgraded my system I installed a good old "traditional" hard drive (but one that runs faster) and am perfectly happy with it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-solid-state-drives-slow-down-as-you-fill-them-up/

Quite possible, since the technology is relatively recent. It may take a while before reliable software is available to handle these issues.

In the ancient days when a 40 MB (sic! - megabytes) hard disk cost US$ 500, I had two of these failing on my PC-XT. By chance, I found SpinRite v2 at a store, bought it, and it brought these disks back to life.

Many years later, when I began piling dysfunctional hard disks, and buying a new one every few months, I rediscovered SpinRite in its v6, and bought it. It brought back most of those hard drives, in fact, all those that didn't have some massive mechanical crash (as evidenced after dismantling them).

Steve Gibson's video explains what it does and how. More about it here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ideas for hardware / software

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »