Thread poster: Domagoj
Domagoj
Domagoj
Local time: 10:51
German to Croatian
+ ...
Aug 26, 2014

Hello --

I am thinking of buying an All-in-One PC, and was wondering about your experiences - if any, of course

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
How about an iMac? Aug 26, 2014

How about an iMac as a PC? It has nice hardware and (depending on your taste) a nice look. When you buy the additional AppleCare, you have a three-year warranty.

You can use your iMac only with MS Windows or use the (in my opinion superior) operating system OS X as a host and use MS Windows as a guest OS.

The disadvantage of an iMac is the high price. On the other hand, when you decide to sell your iMac after three years, you will normally get a good price for it.

Domagoj
Domagoj
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, 2nl Aug 26, 2014

I was actually thinking of buying a Lenovo AIO - I've seen it as a second best, after iMac, of course but you're right, an iMac is quite expensive

Vladimir Nadj
Vladimir Nadj  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
all-in-one is non-upgradeable Aug 27, 2014

The problem with all-in-one configurations is they are non-upgradeable (except for RAM and HDD). First users of specialized word processors (such as Amstrad PCW 8256/8512) learned the hard way the value of separate monitors and power supplies.

Have you considered one other option? Buy separate monitor and some SFF (small form factor desktop computer). There is a plethora of standard PC configurations in that form factor and several mac mini machines if you prefer OS X.

... See more
The problem with all-in-one configurations is they are non-upgradeable (except for RAM and HDD). First users of specialized word processors (such as Amstrad PCW 8256/8512) learned the hard way the value of separate monitors and power supplies.

Have you considered one other option? Buy separate monitor and some SFF (small form factor desktop computer). There is a plethora of standard PC configurations in that form factor and several mac mini machines if you prefer OS X.

low power office pc:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nettop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Mini
Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:51
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
A laptop plus an external monitor is the safest solution Aug 28, 2014

Connect a large (at least 21") external monitor to a modern laptop (let's say a 15") and you will have a nice, powerful enough desktop-like solution for your translation needs. Disconnect it and you are ready to continue working on batteries on the laptop, i.e. wherever you like.

Plus, in case of power interruption you can continue using the laptop for several hours without disrupting too much your workflow, which would be impossible with a desktop PC unless you also have a UPS unit
... See more
Connect a large (at least 21") external monitor to a modern laptop (let's say a 15") and you will have a nice, powerful enough desktop-like solution for your translation needs. Disconnect it and you are ready to continue working on batteries on the laptop, i.e. wherever you like.

Plus, in case of power interruption you can continue using the laptop for several hours without disrupting too much your workflow, which would be impossible with a desktop PC unless you also have a UPS unit (which is typically only enough to let you close your applications before everything goes black).

We are in the process of converting all our desktops to the type of solution above, and feel much more secure this way.

Mario Cerutti
http://www.aliseo.com/english/
Collapse

Domagoj
Domagoj
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 28, 2014

@ Vladimir: What a great idea! Thank you again.

@Mario: Thank you; I will give it some thought.

[Edited at 2014-08-28 14:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All-in-one PC

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »