Is it a good idea to buy Multiterm extract and Autosuggest creator when purchasing Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
Local time: 11:12
French to English
+ ...
Mar 21, 2014

Hi,

I'm new to CAT tools and am about to purchase Trados Studio 2014. The website is encouraging me to purchase Multiterm and Autosuggest at the same time for a discount. It seems to me that these are pretty essential features in order to benefit from the CAT tool (and I didn't realize I had to buy them separately), but I just wanted to confirm that with forum members instead of automatically clicking on "add to cart." These features are pretty important, right? Thanks for your inpu
... See more
Hi,

I'm new to CAT tools and am about to purchase Trados Studio 2014. The website is encouraging me to purchase Multiterm and Autosuggest at the same time for a discount. It seems to me that these are pretty essential features in order to benefit from the CAT tool (and I didn't realize I had to buy them separately), but I just wanted to confirm that with forum members instead of automatically clicking on "add to cart." These features are pretty important, right? Thanks for your input!
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:12
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Definitely go for Multiterm and AutoSuggest Mar 21, 2014

As far as I am concerned, Multiterm and AutoSuggest are the main reasons for using Trados Studio.
Along with the so-called concordance feature, where you can find words and expressions in context and se how a particular client uses them, or find all sorts of references from earlier work.

While the repeats and fuzzy matches - whole sentences - are sometimes helpful and sometimes not, depending on the kind of document you are translating, Multiterm in particular is extremely use
... See more
As far as I am concerned, Multiterm and AutoSuggest are the main reasons for using Trados Studio.
Along with the so-called concordance feature, where you can find words and expressions in context and se how a particular client uses them, or find all sorts of references from earlier work.

While the repeats and fuzzy matches - whole sentences - are sometimes helpful and sometimes not, depending on the kind of document you are translating, Multiterm in particular is extremely useful.

It is sold as a glossary, but you can use it for any kind of terminology.

The precise names of clients' products and their special terminology, ministries and institutions, acts and ministerial orders that take a lot of typing...

I even use it to prevent typos - it doesn't catch teh unfortunately, but my habitual Cotober and others...

Terms that are similar but not identical can be entered, and you can see them and make sure you get the right one.

I have never managed to get Multiterm Extract to work, but I have not tried very hard either. You can enter a word or a 'term' into Multiterm as you translate, and I tend to do that instead.

I prepare terminology lists before starting on a major project, but always find more as I go along.

AutoSuggest is great if you have a large enough base of translation memory to create a dictionary, or if you can get one from someone.
If you are new to CATs, then you may want to wait until you are up and running anyway.

It suggests individual words as you type. Instead of typing the rest of the word, you select and press Enter. It may be way off (in which case you can ignore it).
It can be distracting until you get used to it, but if so, simply do not add it to your project until you are ready.

Best of luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it a good idea to buy Multiterm extract and Autosuggest creator when purchasing Studio 2014?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »