Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
PDF Converter
Thread poster: Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)
convert PDF to Word Nov 23, 2011

writeaway wrote:

jimmytech wrote:

Stefano D'Amato wrote:

Just looking to see if anyone has valuable feedback to share.

For the last two weeks I have been evaluating PDF Converter software.

In my opinion, ABBYY FineReader 10 seems to work the best.
As I own a MAC, I tried the ABBYY FineReader for Mac which is cheaper but it doesn't seem to have as many options as the Windows version.

Before I purchase a license, can anyone give me an opinion or feedback about ABBYY FineReader 10?

Are there any other PDF converters out there that you like better and I would like to suggest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards!

I will recommend you one of the best PDF software that can create, view and edit any PDF file. Classic PDF converter can convert Doc to PDF, Excelsheet to PDF and PowerPoint to PDF. Conversion feature also allow you to convert PDF to Doc and PDF to image file format like jpg, bmp, tiff and png.

Classic PDF editor have almost all important functions of Adobe Acrobat PDF editor. I am using PDF editor for post few months and it works good. It also affordable. However, you may try other software's.

To read more about Classic PDF Google it with "classic pdf editor".

Thanks

I looked and it looks really good (and affordable). But does it convert PDF files to Word or does it only convert files to PDF?

Yes, it converts PDF to Word and also convert MS Doc, XLS & PPT to PDF with single click. To read more how it works find classic PDF tutorial page. Thanks

Holly Holmes
Holly Holmes  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:39
Member (2014)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
PDF Converters in 2016 Feb 2, 2016

I am interested in bringing this discussion into 2016. Which PDF converters are people using?

I have tried the Adobe yearly subscription for online conversion, but the formatting is often poor for dealing with tables and columns. I have also used ReadIris. It works well--when it works, but sometimes processes 2 of 3 pages and can't touch the 3rd for unknown reasons.

I use Wordfast Pro 4 on a Mac, and I'm beginning to suspect it is the type of problem that only investing
... See more
I am interested in bringing this discussion into 2016. Which PDF converters are people using?

I have tried the Adobe yearly subscription for online conversion, but the formatting is often poor for dealing with tables and columns. I have also used ReadIris. It works well--when it works, but sometimes processes 2 of 3 pages and can't touch the 3rd for unknown reasons.

I use Wordfast Pro 4 on a Mac, and I'm beginning to suspect it is the type of problem that only investing some $$$ in major software can solve.

Also, I have Microsoft Office 2011, but heard that 2013 can open PDFs directly in Word? Any experience with the quality / complexity of this feature?

Alright Mac users, what are your best suggestions?
Collapse

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
RE Feb 3, 2016

I'm glad I saw your post Holly. I just switched to Office 2016 last week, and never even thought to check if it could do PDF>Word . Just tried it, and it worked. I tried the conversion on my live text (i.e. you can copy and paste the text) .pdf CV , and then on a non-live text (photo-scanned) .pdf, and it did a good job with both (although not perfect for the photo-scan file, it was still quite good). Can't promise you'd get the same results for all documents obviously, but I'm quite happy with ... See more
I'm glad I saw your post Holly. I just switched to Office 2016 last week, and never even thought to check if it could do PDF>Word . Just tried it, and it worked. I tried the conversion on my live text (i.e. you can copy and paste the text) .pdf CV , and then on a non-live text (photo-scanned) .pdf, and it did a good job with both (although not perfect for the photo-scan file, it was still quite good). Can't promise you'd get the same results for all documents obviously, but I'm quite happy with this. Also does Word>PDF.

As an added bonus, Office is quite inexpensive compared to some of the CAT tools out there.
Collapse

Holly Holmes
Holly Holmes  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2014)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
PDF Converters in 2016 Feb 4, 2016

Hi Preston,

Great to hear! I have been looking into that upgrade too. And you're running this on a Mac? I am mainly interested in the quality of converting non-live text, as that is where it is most difficult to maintain page layout and formatting. Does the program allow you to choose how it converts various aspects of the document (i.e. before conversion), or does it just convert wholesale and what you get is what you get?

Holly

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
Re Feb 4, 2016

Holly Holmes wrote:

Hi Preston,

Great to hear! I have been looking into that upgrade too. And you're running this on a Mac? I am mainly interested in the quality of converting non-live text, as that is where it is most difficult to maintain page layout and formatting. Does the program allow you to choose how it converts various aspects of the document (i.e. before conversion), or does it just convert wholesale and what you get is what you get?

Holly

On a PC. I haven't delved very deeply into this function, so I'm not very sure as to whether there are options available or not. Will let you know if I have time tomorrow to take a bit more of an in-depth look.

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:39
Member (2005)
French to English
Nuance Power PDF Advanced Feb 18, 2016

Holly Holmes wrote:

Hullo Holly and all of you,

I refer you to my reply at this web page

Its converter recognizes a range of European languages, but you have to delve into a menu to specify which; and it converts into a variety of office-software formats.

Obviously, it isn't perfect, but with a bit of jigging as I describe at the other end of that link, I have found a number of files to be workable.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren
(ProZ.com: IanDhu, Translator 41189)

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Finereader Feb 18, 2016

ABBYY Finereader is still the best. It lets you manually select areas of different type (image, background image, text, table) for recognition, which is a real productivity boost, especially with complex tables. No other product comes close to that. Well, except the good old ABBYY PDF Transformer 2.0, but the company ruined the product by removing area selection and the ability to select a set of pages as a simple list like "1, 3-5, 8, 11-12". I own a copy of the latest version, PDF Transformer+... See more
ABBYY Finereader is still the best. It lets you manually select areas of different type (image, background image, text, table) for recognition, which is a real productivity boost, especially with complex tables. No other product comes close to that. Well, except the good old ABBYY PDF Transformer 2.0, but the company ruined the product by removing area selection and the ability to select a set of pages as a simple list like "1, 3-5, 8, 11-12". I own a copy of the latest version, PDF Transformer+, but don't have much use for it.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF Converter

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »