What is Proz?
Thread poster: d_murat (X)
d_murat (X)
d_murat (X)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2003

Proz is a place/site where some \"professionals\" exhibit unprofessionalism, or some friends try to earn for living with their \"professional skills\"?

Or, is it a place of \"nationalism\", where somebody selects a wrong answer for the sake of \"being given by anotherone of the same nationality\"?

Or is it a place to cheat someone to get a price offer to offer only a one cent lower than the other?

What??

Time to ask!

kbamert
kbamert  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:56
French to German
+ ...
bidding system Apr 3, 2003

Hello

Quote:
Or is it a place to cheat someone to get a price offer in order to offer only one cent lower than the other?

Difficult to know because cunningly hidden, seems that only the bidder knows it, I don\'t think you will earn much money being on this website, unless you live in a country with the lowest worldwide living costs ...
... See more
Hello

Quote:
Or is it a place to cheat someone to get a price offer in order to offer only one cent lower than the other?

Difficult to know because cunningly hidden, seems that only the bidder knows it, I don\'t think you will earn much money being on this website, unless you live in a country with the lowest worldwide living costs ...

Kind regards,

Kurt

PS. I think it is a place for agencies trying to exploit to the utmost \"translators\" ... playing global ...

Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:56
Russian to English
+ ...
It could be... Apr 3, 2003

...all the things you mention, and more. Just like the world that it is part of, given that, like that world it is inhabited by a diverse multiplicity of individuals with their own aims, outlooks, goals and interests. ProZ is not a monolithic entity, surely this is a good thing? But it sounds perhaps as if your question is rhetorical and that you\'ve already fixed upon an answer for yourself.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It's a place where people help each other Apr 3, 2003

Murat (if that is indeed your name),

I must say that I\'m a bit disturbed by your post. Despite the fact that your first forum posting (\"Why?\" - www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=61479#61479) wasn\'t exactly written in a friendly way, what happened? A number of members answered without delay, trying to help and explain.

Is that your definition of a place where peo
... See more
Murat (if that is indeed your name),

I must say that I\'m a bit disturbed by your post. Despite the fact that your first forum posting (\"Why?\" - www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=61479#61479) wasn\'t exactly written in a friendly way, what happened? A number of members answered without delay, trying to help and explain.

Is that your definition of a place where people cheat each other?

With all due respect, may I suggest that you check facts, take some time to fully understand the mechanisms of this site and ask questions where something is unclear before posting disrespectful statements about this site and its members.

Thank you.

Ralf
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Where do you get this negativity from? Apr 3, 2003

Dear D_Murat,

I am quite astonished by your negative approach to the site, all the more so since you can\'t have been around here that long. It usually does take some time to get a balanced picture of ProZ.com.

Come to think of it, it all boils down to a very basic question: Why have you become a member in the first place if you\'re just complaining, using rhetorical insinuations, playing with negative emotions..., instead of contributing in a construct
... See more
Dear D_Murat,

I am quite astonished by your negative approach to the site, all the more so since you can\'t have been around here that long. It usually does take some time to get a balanced picture of ProZ.com.

Come to think of it, it all boils down to a very basic question: Why have you become a member in the first place if you\'re just complaining, using rhetorical insinuations, playing with negative emotions..., instead of contributing in a constructive way?

Use your grey matter first to get a balanced view.

My ever-so-worth 2 eurocents,

Steffen

P.S. to Kurt: To reduce ProZ to a place for agencies looking for cheap labour alone strikes me as an extremely narrow view. There\'s a lot more to it on the positive side, and I bet you know that.

[ This Message was edited by: Steffen Walter on 2003-04-03 08:41]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:56
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dear New Member Apr 3, 2003

Dear D_Murat,

First of all, welcome to ProZ.com.

I notice from your high ID number ( 50058 ) that you have joined the site just a few days ago and therefore you may not have a complete and balanced picture of the site, its features and its purposes.

- The site is a community, where you can ask for information and advice, or offer your help, in Forum.

- The site contains also a powerful section for he
... See more
Dear D_Murat,

First of all, welcome to ProZ.com.

I notice from your high ID number ( 50058 ) that you have joined the site just a few days ago and therefore you may not have a complete and balanced picture of the site, its features and its purposes.

- The site is a community, where you can ask for information and advice, or offer your help, in Forum.

- The site contains also a powerful section for help with terminology (KudoZ) and large glossaries.

It is rarely as negative as you picture it, and in fact some excesses are self-controlled by the community of participants themselves, and if this is not sufficient, by the moderators.

And finally, the site is a marketplace, where you may find jobs that suits your expertise and rates. Certainly not all jobs are attractive or well paid, like in the real world.

Just apply for what you like and discard the others.

In 2 years of membership I have established and, more important, maintained, a number of contacts with reliable and interesting customers.

This is not my only source of work but it has contributed to my current regular customers range.

There are many other sections and features (Blue Board, Powwow, Wallet, website hosting, CAT Tools Center, Teams, Exchange) that may also be useful, but what I listed above are considered the main parts of the site.

You can use this resource to benefit your professional activity, and if you don\'t like some aspects of it, you can offer your constructive criticism using some specific forums.

You are welcome to post your questions or contributions in Suggestions, Bugs, Job System, Tech. Support and other forums.

Best regards

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by: gianfranco on 2003-04-03 10:58]
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Virtual Reality Apr 3, 2003

Hi,

On ProZ.com you can find only what you are looking for and it is what you make it be.

ProZ.com success is mainly based on its human component, therefore it is clear that it is a wonderful *screenshot* of real life and of non-virtual relations among translators.

Ups and downs are part of our life, why should virtual life be that different? Virtual doesn\'t mean exactly *unreal*, only real virtue or virtual reality.

... See more
Hi,

On ProZ.com you can find only what you are looking for and it is what you make it be.

ProZ.com success is mainly based on its human component, therefore it is clear that it is a wonderful *screenshot* of real life and of non-virtual relations among translators.

Ups and downs are part of our life, why should virtual life be that different? Virtual doesn\'t mean exactly *unreal*, only real virtue or virtual reality.

Giuliana

[addsig]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Time to answer your own questions! Apr 3, 2003

Following the friendly advice you have already got:

Acquaint yourself with the site for 3 months (intelligent minimum) before saying anything again.

Best Regards

Mats Wiman

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Nothing to add :-))) Apr 3, 2003

\"On 2003-04-03 09:37, MatsWiman wrote:

Following the friendly advice you have already got:

Acquaint yourself with the site for 3 months (intelligent minimum) before saying anything again.\"

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Everywhere you find what you carry inside May 17, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-02 18:03, d_murat wrote:

Proz is a place/site where some \"professionals\" exhibit unprofessionalism, or some friends try to earn for living with their \"professional skills\"?

Or, is it a place of \"nationalism\", where somebody selects a wrong answer for the sake of \"being given by anotherone of the same nationality\"?

Or is it a place to cheat someone to get a price offer to offer only a on... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-02 18:03, d_murat wrote:

Or is it a place to cheat someone to get a price offer to offer only a one cent lower than the other?

What??

Time to ask!

You may find a good answer to these questions in the Off-topic forum:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic_id=10468&forum_id=44

\"My son,\" said the old man, \"Each one carries, in his heart, his own universe. And, that is what he will find every place he goes.\" (** or, \"Therefore, regardless where he goes, that will always be what he finds.\"

Open your heart and your outlook, when encountering Others and life\'s experiences, and the world shall change.

\"Peace comes from within. Do not look for it outside.\"

Best regards,

Enrique

Collapse

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hola... :-)) May 19, 2003

Enrique (two2tango )

Thank you for the link you mentioned!!

Here is another link: http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic_id=11055&forum_id=24

It is in Spanish but I am sure someone will translate the last comment by Nimrodtran
... See more
Enrique (two2tango )

Thank you for the link you mentioned!!

Here is another link: http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic_id=11055&forum_id=24

It is in Spanish but I am sure someone will translate the last comment by Nimrodtran for our new colleague.

Ciao a tutti,

JL

------------------------------------

1)I found many jobs here (some came directly from the Jobs section, yes; BUT most of the jobs found came thanks to networking and off-work relations developed here)

2) I found my wife here (she is a fellow translator)

3) I made many FRIENDS here.

You see...I found economic advantages and most important, I found my soul mate and many new friends.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is Proz?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »