Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:55
English to Slovak
+ ...
Feb 12, 2008

Hi all,

Yesterday, I posted a reply to topic "http://www.proz.com/topic/96754"with the list of windows I open on my working day. Today, I've received an e-mail saying that because my post contains name of the competitor xxxxx, it can not be published as is and I need to edit it or post a new reply. I copied and pasted the e-mail and started a new topic to see what the rest of you think about it. Second e-mail followed shortly advising me that I wasn't given permision to publish the
... See more
Hi all,

Yesterday, I posted a reply to topic "http://www.proz.com/topic/96754"with the list of windows I open on my working day. Today, I've received an e-mail saying that because my post contains name of the competitor xxxxx, it can not be published as is and I need to edit it or post a new reply. I copied and pasted the e-mail and started a new topic to see what the rest of you think about it. Second e-mail followed shortly advising me that I wasn't given permision to publish the e-mail to start a new topic and my post was deleted.

My questions are:
- What do you think about the filtering (censorship) of post? I'm pretty sure that everybody else knows xxxxx and we all are members or/users of other translators' websites not just ProZ.Was it really that out of order to mention it in my post?
- Are messages from moderators regarding the ProZ really private? If so,why there isn't a confidentiality disclaimer at the end of them?

Rad
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:55
English to German
+ ...
Check the site rules Feb 12, 2008

Hi Rad,
By using the site, you accept the site rules and agree to abide by them. These rules are publicly posted on the site - may I suggest to take a look at them, in detail?

- What do you think about the filtering (censorship) of post? I'm pretty sure that everybody else knows xxxxx and we all are members or/users of other translators' websites not just ProZ.Was it really that out of order to mention it in my post?

General rule no. 3:

Discussion of sites offering competing services is also prohibited, due to past abuse.

Regards,
Ralf

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Discussion v mentioning Feb 12, 2008

By mentioning it in my list I was hardly discussing it, Ralph.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Regardless of the site rules... Feb 12, 2008

Disclaimer: I don't speak on behalf of ProZ.com.

Rad Graban wrote:
I copied and pasted the e-mail and started a new topic to see what the rest of you think about it.

Regardless of what the rules say, this action of yours was provocative, don't you agree? And... quoting from private correspondence in a public forum is bad netiquette (not to mention breach of the sender's copyright).

I'm pretty sure that everybody else knows xxxxx and we all are members or/users of other translators' websites not just ProZ.

ProZ.com is a commercial entity offering a service (a forum) to its paying customers (you and me). It saw fit to open the forum also to non-paying customers. But we are customers, and ProZ.com is a business.

If you'll allow me to nitpick, when you joined ProZ.com, you must have read the site rules. ProZ.com handles violations of those rules in a very community-like manner, if you ask me. You accidently breached the contract you made with ProZ.com by violating a rule, and what happened? You were not given a warning, nor were you placed on moderation, nor were you removed from the service -- the only thing that happened, was that your post was quietly removed and you were given a friendly reminder of the rules. Surely that is grace enough.

Are messages from moderators regarding the ProZ really private?

All private messages are private.

If so,why there isn't a confidentiality disclaimer at the end of them?

Are you saying that you only treat information as confidential if the originator specifically said that it is confidential? Your poor clients... And what about copyright? Do you only respect copyright if the author specifically claimed it?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
These are discussions Feb 12, 2008

Rad Graban wrote:
By mentioning it in my list I was hardly discussing it, Ralph.

These threads (posts) are discussions. Anything mentioned as part of a discussion is part of the discussion, surely. Or don't you agree?

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confidential Feb 12, 2008

Are you saying that you only treat information as confidential if the originator specifically said that it is confidential? Your poor clients... And what about copyright? Do you only respect copyright if the author specifically claimed it?

Not at all. But when I receive an e-mail from a moderator regarding ProZ rules I can't see anything wrong with sharing it with other members/users unless I'm specificaly ask not to. How many e-mails (spam/dodgy stuff) posted to members through ProZ have been copied in the forums for discussions? It's all being done to help/inform one another about what's going on.

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Discussions Feb 12, 2008

These threads (posts) are discussions. Anything mentioned as part of a discussion is part of the discussion, surely. Or don't you agree?

The discussion was about the windows we open when we start our working day. By mentioning xxxxx I wasn't discussing it. I didn't discuss who it is, what they do, how they do it, etc. so I don't think I was discussing competitor. The rule doesn't say that the competitors name cannot be mentioned in discusion forums but that it cannot be discussed. I just see the difference here between "mention" and "discuss".

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
50:50 Feb 12, 2008

Rad Graban wrote:

To be fair to you:

a) I have seen at least 2 competing sites mentioned on here lately without anyone "filtering" the posts AFAIK. These were mentions in passing, not discussions. I confess it made me wonder whether the rule was being relaxed.

b) a mention in passing is not discussion, I can see what you mean. In this particular case in point, I could perhaps see that it could lead to discussion ("hey Rad, why have you got ficticiouswebsite.com open all the time, is it any good?"). And then they could have stepped in. I guess it was an exercise in nipping in the bud. Or maybe the rule is supposed to say "mention" not "discussion"....

- Are messages from moderators regarding the ProZ really private? If so,why there isn't a confidentiality disclaimer at the end of them?

Yeah, I think you've been a bit naughty there. It's just not the done thing. The mods are not employees. It was a private message whichever way you looked at it.

[Edited at 2008-02-12 20:00]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Posts filtering and confidentiality of messages from moderators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »