Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Easy way to search through my own past forum posts? (staff: implemented)
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:49
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 26, 2007

When wishing to refer to a previous forum discussion in which I took part myself, I often fail to find what I am looking for in Forum Search, maybe because I can't remember the exact word I'm looking for
I would find it much easier to search through my own past forum posts, if these were listed under a "My Forums" menu similar to the "My Kudoz" one, which shows me all the questions I myself have asked and answered.
Or does this facility already exist somewhere that I don't know about
... See more
When wishing to refer to a previous forum discussion in which I took part myself, I often fail to find what I am looking for in Forum Search, maybe because I can't remember the exact word I'm looking for
I would find it much easier to search through my own past forum posts, if these were listed under a "My Forums" menu similar to the "My Kudoz" one, which shows me all the questions I myself have asked and answered.
Or does this facility already exist somewhere that I don't know about?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-26 13:53]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-29 16:38]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
Italian to English
+ ...
It's under "my profile" Jul 26, 2007

There's a section called "forum posts", which tells you how many you've made, and if you click on it, it lists all the discussions you've started and all your posts.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Only a limited number. Jul 26, 2007

Only a limited number of previous postings. I remember that three years ago, I posted a request for information about memory training, but I can not seem to find.
Perhaps a tab, my forum favorites would be useful.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Yes, too limited. Jul 26, 2007

It includes only the last 25 topics and the last 25 posts. "My KudoZ" includes every question I have ever asked or answered since I joined ProZ seven years ago.

Alison Jenner
Alison Jenner  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
I agree Jul 26, 2007

I agree - although there is the "forum posts" section, this obviously doesn't help if you want to refer back to a discussion that you may not actually have contributed to. It would be helpful to be able to "bookmark" them within the site, rather than only having the option of doing this in the browser.

Obviously, it is also possible to check back using the forum search, but it would be a million times easier if there was a "my forums" function.

[Edited at 2007-07-26 13:04]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Your old profile contains them all Jul 26, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

It includes only the last 25 topics and the last 25 posts. "My KudoZ" includes every question I have ever asked or answered since I joined ProZ seven years ago.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:49
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
You can use the forum search Jul 26, 2007

Hi Jack,

You can use Community -> Forum search

To see all your forum posts use the option "Search by name or user ID of poster:"

Cheers,
Enrique

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks, Quique Jul 26, 2007

That's the best solution yet, and I have just succeeded in using it to find an old topic to which I wanted to refer in a new one. Like a lot of these things, it's easy when you know how, but not easy to find if you don't.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Tagged into the to-dos list Jul 26, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

That's the best solution yet, and I have just succeeded in using it to find an old topic to which I wanted to refer in a new one. Like a lot of these things, it's easy when you know how, but not easy to find if you don't.

Hi, old friend!

You're right, of course.

I will ask one of our developers to add an item under the "My ProZ.com" menu.

Kind regards!
Q

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hola Jul 26, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

Jack,

This is really very necessary, specially when one has more than a couple of threads opened or postings in other colleagues' threads.
I have asked this a couple of times and Collin prepared for me a kind of Index, but I would love to have it on my profile. Sometimes one can remember words that are part of the thread body, but even then sometimes the search is too time consuming so that you have to leave it.

The partial list we have is fine, only that it should be complete, at least with all of the threads we have started.

Au

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Should it be of any help... Jul 26, 2007

This is what Collin prepared some time ago and I have confirmed that it includes all of my contributions to ProZ.com fora:

http://tinyurl.com/2bj8uw

As you can see, first you can see all the threads I have opened and then my postings in other translators' threads.
This is really very useful.

Au

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Can't see Aurora's forum posts Jul 27, 2007

Sorry, Aurora, I can't find anything about forums on any of the pages that link brings up. I'm probably being stupid and missing something obvious.

Thanks for your support.

Jack.

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same (surprise) here Jul 27, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

Sorry, Aurora, I can't find anything about forums on any of the pages that link brings up. I'm probably being stupid and missing something obvious.

Thanks for your support.

Jack.

Hi Jack!

I don't know what is going on. I have been using this link for a long time and now it seems to have been disabled. I will send a support ticket now. Sorry, it used to work.

Au

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reply/explanation from Support Jul 27, 2007

It is working now, but I am the only one who has access to it, as I am the only one that can be logged as amh and bla bla bla.
I guess the site can work on Collin's solution and offer it to the whole community. (Also, I would love to have it in my profile with easy access for me and others.)

Thanks, Jared!

Au

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
This has been implemented Aug 1, 2007

Enrique wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

Hi, old friend!

You're right, of course.

I will ask one of our developers to add an item under the "My ProZ.com" menu.

Hi all, this has been implemented. You may find now the new item "My forum posts" in the "My ProZ.com" menu. A click on it will bring the forum search with all your former forum contributions.

Regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Easy way to search through my own past forum posts? (staff: implemented)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »