What happened to the thread on the ATA "crusade" issue?
Thread poster: Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 21, 2007

Maybe I'm just not looking properly, but I swear I saw a thread earlier this morning on the ATA and an objection to the use of the word "crusade" in one of its latest projects.

I wanted to revisit it now during a break but can't see it.

Has the thread been removed? If so, can someone explain why or point me to the right place at least?

TIA

[Edited at 2007-03-21 13:17]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:51
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The thread was hidden Mar 21, 2007

That thread was hidden because it was not in line with rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1

Regards,
Enrique

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 21, 2007

Thank you for clarifying that Enrique. suspected it had been hidden and that I wasn't suffering from premature senility

I suppose when the net is cast that wide, you can catch a lot of fish - pity though as it would have led to some very interesting debate, I'm sure.

Keep well
Deborah

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
I wondered also Mar 21, 2007

But then my reply would have been, "wrong forum", referring to all those mentioned plus this one.

The kind of debate it would have sparked would have done nothing good for us. Our interest here is translation.

Thanks, Tocayo, for stopping it in its tracks.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:51
German to English
I was going to ask the same question.... Mar 21, 2007

but what I don't understand is the reply from Enrique.

Enrique: are you seriously trying to say that a thread on the issue of translation quality by one of the profession's most senior, experienced and authoritative translators doesn't comply with ProZ rules?

Thanks for the clarification.
Robin

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Posting not in line with site rules Mar 21, 2007

RobinB wrote:

but what I don't understand is the reply from Enrique.

Enrique: are you seriously trying to say that a thread on the issue of translation quality by one of the profession's most senior, experienced and authoritative translators doesn't comply with ProZ rules?

Thanks for the clarification.
Robin

That posting was not in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1 and in particular with the statement:

"Postings which are political, religious, or otherwise controversial in nature, or that may be considered offensive by other users, will be removed without regard to the views expressed. "

Rules apply to all site users.

Regards,
Enrique

RobinB
United States
German to English
Clear enough Mar 21, 2007

Enrique wrote:
"Postings which are political, religious, or otherwise controversial in nature, or that may be considered offensive by other users, will be removed without regard to the views expressed. "

That's clear enough. Just for the record, could we please have definitions of the following concepts:

- political
- religious
- otherwise controversial
- may be considered offensive

As we're all adult translators (well, I presume that most of us fall into at least one of those categories), I think this is the least we can expect so as to avoid future conflicts.

TIA,
Robin

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Next problem Mar 21, 2007

RobinB wrote:

Enrique wrote:

That's clear enough. Just for the record, could we please have definitions of the following concepts:

- political
- religious

As we're all adult translators (well, I presume that most of us fall into at least one of those categories), I think this is the least we can expect so as to avoid future conflicts.

TIA,
Robin

Good question and point, however - if memory serves me correctly - discussing the legal interpretation of rules has also been prohibited quite recently.

Suffice it to say, for "fear" of getting into interpretation, they are VERY widely drafted - hence my reference to nets and fish above

[Edited at 2007-03-21 16:21]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:51
German to English
+ ...
And the next Mar 22, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

...if memory serves me correctly - discussing the legal interpretation of rules has also been prohibited quite recently.

Discussing the censorship of posts by moderators was also prohibited recently.

I don't see much future for this thread.

Marc

RobinB
United States
German to English
Just an explanation Mar 22, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:
Good question and point, however - if memory serves me correctly - discussing the legal interpretation of rules has also been prohibited quite recently.

Well, I wasn't looking for a legal interpretation, just an explanation for your average bear of little brain

Suffice it to say, for "fear" of getting into interpretation, they are VERY widely drafted

I'm sure that ProZ staff can provide a grown-up answer to my questions and explain exactly what is meant, can't they?

Robin

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Site policy about controversial forum posts Mar 22, 2007

RobinB wrote:

Enrique wrote:

- political
- religious

Hi Robin,

A description of the site policy regarding scope can be found at the scope definition and at the following FAQ.

I assume you ask about the criterion followed to define whether a certain potentially controversial post will be allowed or not in ProZ.com' forums. the determination of the controversial character of a post is performed by the acting moderator (or staff member) along the following guidelines:

The first question is whether the post fall within the scope of the site, or if can be categorized as one of the tolerated off-scope exceptions (posts outside one of these two categories are not allowed).

If the post falls within ProZ.com's definition of scope and the acting moderator considers that it is in violation of site rules, such as the one prohibiting political, religious or otherwise controversial content, then the post will be removed.

If the post belongs to one of the tolerated off-scope exceptions then the acting moderator will remove it he/she considers that it is possible that some reasonable person would find it to have political, religious or otherwise controversial content.

In both cases, when in doubt the the acting moderator will consult with other moderators or staff members.

I hope it clarifies the issue.
Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto
Community manager

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happened to the thread on the ATA "crusade" issue?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »