BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 6, 2006

To the moderators,

Please move this posting if I've placed it in the wrong forum.

Next, I thought advertising your services, politics, etc. was against the rules; however certain members have taken on the task of promoting the translation field in their countries by posting articles concerning pricing, experience, etc.

This is highly unfair for everyone else. I'm sure if other countries were to do the same there would be a riot on here.

Why you
... See more
To the moderators,

Please move this posting if I've placed it in the wrong forum.

Next, I thought advertising your services, politics, etc. was against the rules; however certain members have taken on the task of promoting the translation field in their countries by posting articles concerning pricing, experience, etc.

This is highly unfair for everyone else. I'm sure if other countries were to do the same there would be a riot on here.

Why you've let it go this far is beyond me and extremely annoying. It's taking advantage of the system. If you wish to write a book about the advantages of hiring translators from X country do so in your own website or take an ad in an international newspaper.

ProZ is not the place for this.

Belkis
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:05
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Please be more specific and submit support ticket if required Nov 6, 2006

Hi Belkis,

I don't quite get what you are referring to here. Could you please
a) be more specific and
b) submit a support ticket if you think something is being handled unfairly in your opinion.

Regards,
Steffen

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll submit a Support Ticket Nov 6, 2006

My posting cannot be more specific because I would have to divulge certain information that is not allowed by the rules. Therefore I shall submit a Support Ticket and handle it in private.

Thank you.

Belkis

[Edited at 2006-11-06 08:32]

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done Nov 6, 2006

The ticket number is:

Thank you.

Belkis

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I think Belkis wanted the opinion of fellow users on this Nov 6, 2006

My personal opinion on this is that it's unfair competition on the part of the people who do this, and also that they have no clue what they are doing to our respective markets. Clearly, they are either clueless about our industry or nothing will stop them from getting that job at 2 cents per word - including competition.

Don't worry about such users, Belkis, they are eventually weeded out somehow, especially if they sign their name or username. It's just a pity that potential clien
... See more
My personal opinion on this is that it's unfair competition on the part of the people who do this, and also that they have no clue what they are doing to our respective markets. Clearly, they are either clueless about our industry or nothing will stop them from getting that job at 2 cents per word - including competition.

Don't worry about such users, Belkis, they are eventually weeded out somehow, especially if they sign their name or username. It's just a pity that potential clients who know nothing about our business will have misconceptions about the industry after having read such things - but then again, if you keep educating clients, that should eventually be sorted out, too.

All the best!
Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree. Nov 6, 2006

Thank you Viktoria. I agree with you 100%.

Regards,
Belkis

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:05
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
No country advertised in the article Nov 7, 2006

BelkisDV wrote:

The ticket number is:

Thank you.

Belkis

The article referenced in this ticket does not advertise any country, but it is a plea to translators in a country not to lower unnecessarily their rates, and to ask for international rates (not the lower local ones) when dealing with international markets.

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advertising a country on ProZ

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »