Thread poster: Richard Creech
Richard Creech
Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:49
French to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2006

I hope a moderator will reply here. I put up a recent posting regarding Arabic translators which was promptly removed on the ground that it was in violation of a rule against "politics." The posting contained links to two news stories from CNN and MSNBC regarding relevant issues in Arabic translation. Of course, many Arabic translation issues are inevitably caught up in thorny political problems. Does this mean that proz.com does not wish anyone to discuss these translation issues? I unders... See more
I hope a moderator will reply here. I put up a recent posting regarding Arabic translators which was promptly removed on the ground that it was in violation of a rule against "politics." The posting contained links to two news stories from CNN and MSNBC regarding relevant issues in Arabic translation. Of course, many Arabic translation issues are inevitably caught up in thorny political problems. Does this mean that proz.com does not wish anyone to discuss these translation issues? I understand that this is not a forum for political debate, but it seems to me that as translation professionals we should not be prohibited from discussing a matter simply because it may have a political angle. In reality, every issue is political; the decision as to whether something is political or not is itself a political matter.Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 21:49
English to German
I think we should be able to discuss Arabic translations Jul 27, 2006

Proz is certainly not a political web site, but I think it should be possible to discuss issues in Arabic translation.

I don't know what you said in your original post, but it probably wasn't justified to remove it just because of possible political implications. (If your post had attracted any inappropriate replies, they could have easily been deleted by the moderators.)

I think that everybody who's interested in a discussion of linguistic issues should be given a ch
... See more
Proz is certainly not a political web site, but I think it should be possible to discuss issues in Arabic translation.

I don't know what you said in your original post, but it probably wasn't justified to remove it just because of possible political implications. (If your post had attracted any inappropriate replies, they could have easily been deleted by the moderators.)

I think that everybody who's interested in a discussion of linguistic issues should be given a chance.

Olaf
Collapse

mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:49
French to English
+ ...
Hello Richard Jul 27, 2006

I remember reading your post, I thought it was very interesting and so very true.
Although I am a native speaker, I stopped applying to any jobs that involved any government agencies because they get you no where, but yet there is this shortage that they keep talking about, or is it a mirage?
We should be able to express our opinions, our so-called "politically correct" is nothing but "censure" in my humble opinion.
Regards,
Mireille

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:49
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The moderators did the right thing Jul 27, 2006

Richard Creech wrote:

I hope a moderator will reply here. I put up a recent posting regarding Arabic translators which was promptly removed on the ground that it was in violation of a rule against "politics." The posting contained links to two news stories from CNN and MSNBC regarding relevant issues in Arabic translation. Of course, many Arabic translation issues are inevitably caught up in thorny political problems. Does this mean that proz.com does not wish anyone to discuss these translation issues? I understand that this is not a forum for political debate, but it seems to me that as translation professionals we should not be prohibited from discussing a matter simply because it may have a political angle. In reality, every issue is political; the decision as to whether something is political or not is itself a political matter.

I am ProZ,com Community Manager. I have read both articles and I fully support the action of the moderators.

With all due respect, I do not share Richard's presentation of this issue. Both articles refer to very controversial off topic issues that include some linguistic elements not central to the stories: the main character of a story is a linguist, but the issue is his sexual orientation, the second one is about current events in the Middle East and includes a passing reference to a mistranslation.

Please see http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1 and the Scope definition.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:49
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
We can discuss Arabic translations and linguistic issues Jul 28, 2006

Olaf wrote:

I think we should be able to discuss Arabic translations

I think that everybody who's interested in a discussion of linguistic issues should be given a chance.

We can discuss Arabic translations and linguistic issues within the framework of the site rules http://www.proz.com/siterules.

The focus of Richar's postings was off-topic and controversial, the linguistic element was of little relevance.

I am locking this thread, as it makes no sense to argue about postings that we are not going to display.

Regards,

Enrique Cavalitto

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic Translations: How to Discuss

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »