Thread poster: justin C
justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 12:37
English
Feb 7, 2006

Hello everyone,

ProZ.com staff is currently in the process of migrating all of our forums from having no default character set, to having Unicode (utf-8) as a default character set. So far, the Greek, Romanian, and Russian forums have been migrated to Unicode. More forums are going to be migrated to Unicode in the next few days.

For more information about what Unicode is, and why we are migrating sections of the site to
... See more
Hello everyone,

ProZ.com staff is currently in the process of migrating all of our forums from having no default character set, to having Unicode (utf-8) as a default character set. So far, the Greek, Romanian, and Russian forums have been migrated to Unicode. More forums are going to be migrated to Unicode in the next few days.

For more information about what Unicode is, and why we are migrating sections of the site to it, please visit http://www.proz.com/?sp=charset_issues

If you notice any problems regarding Unicode in the forums, please visit http://www.proz.com/?sp=support/process and submit a support ticket.

Best Regards,
Justin
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:37
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Easy Feb 7, 2006

justin wrote:

Hello everyone,

ProZ.com staff is currently in the process of migrating all of our forums from having no default charecter set, to having Unicode (utf-8) as a default charecter set. So far, the Greek, Romanian, and Russian forums have been migrated to Unicode. More forums are going to be migrated to Unicode in the next few days.

For more information about what Unicode is, and why we are migrating sections of the site to it, please visit http://www.proz.com/?sp=charset_issues .

If you notice any problems regarding Unicode in the forums, please visit http://www.proz.com/?sp=support/process and submit a support ticket.

Best Regards,
Justin

I hope it will be easy to use

justin C
justin C
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Ideally you would not notice the difference... Feb 7, 2006

If everything goes according to plan

Best Regards,
Justin

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
The Romanian experience Feb 7, 2006

The Romanian forum was migrated to Unicode about two weeks ago. No problem at all so far.

[Edited at 2006-02-07 19:22]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:37
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
What about Kudoz?? Feb 7, 2006

Because if only forums are converted, it might get confusing...

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Important! Feb 8, 2006

The "ungarbling" option is missing an essential information! That is: first check that your browser is set to Unicode!

That is what happened in the Polish forum today: the asker has seen her post as garbled (as she had her browser set to Win-1250!). Therefore she used the option to "ungarble" and selected the option she could see properly (effectively turning the correct Unicode version into incorrect version).

Therefore we need the message "Please check t
... See more
The "ungarbling" option is missing an essential information! That is: first check that your browser is set to Unicode!

That is what happened in the Polish forum today: the asker has seen her post as garbled (as she had her browser set to Win-1250!). Therefore she used the option to "ungarble" and selected the option she could see properly (effectively turning the correct Unicode version into incorrect version).

Therefore we need the message "Please check that your browser encoding is set to Unicode" in the ungarble dialogue windows...
Collapse

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
Migration of non-english forums Feb 10, 2006

In just a few moments I will be migrating all non-english forums, except Japanese, Georgian, and Swedish, to using Unicode. Here is the information you'll need to know:

* The headers of all pages for the forum will have the character set specified as "Unicode (UTF-8)". As long as your browser has unicode support this will be automatically picked up and used, you should not have to change anything manually.

* All old posts already in Unicode or in the roman english cha
... See more
In just a few moments I will be migrating all non-english forums, except Japanese, Georgian, and Swedish, to using Unicode. Here is the information you'll need to know:

* The headers of all pages for the forum will have the character set specified as "Unicode (UTF-8)". As long as your browser has unicode support this will be automatically picked up and used, you should not have to change anything manually.

* All old posts already in Unicode or in the roman english character will remain unchanged as these are compatible with the new system.

* All old posts using non-Unicode character sets are pulled from the database as they were before, but the system will attempt to automatically convert them into Unicode before they are sent to your browser for display.

This won't work for 100% of all posts, some of them will be incorrectly converted. For these posts you will find a link below the garbled text reading "Is the text in this post garbled? Click here". Following this link will bring you to a dailogue to help us determine what character set the text was in so we can convert it into Unicode.

If the text was converted correctly it helps us if you click on the link labeled "Is the text in this post legible? Click here". This link will mark the text as having been converted correctly without needing to leave the page. Texts marked in this way will be permanently converted into Unicode.

For more information on Unicode see the recently revised character set FAQ here:

http://www.proz.com/faq/localization

If you encounter any problems or have any unanswered questions feel free to post here, in your respective forums or send me a message directly.

Andrew Wright
Site Staff
Collapse

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:37
English to French
+ ...
Reminder Feb 11, 2006

Hello, Justin and Andrew

You seem to have forgotten that many Proz subscribers do no read English. PLease see http://www.proz.com/topic/42497

Is there any way you could localize your announcement? Thank you on behalf of the whole non-English-speaking Proz community.

Have a great week-end

... See more
Hello, Justin and Andrew

You seem to have forgotten that many Proz subscribers do no read English. PLease see http://www.proz.com/topic/42497

Is there any way you could localize your announcement? Thank you on behalf of the whole non-English-speaking Proz community.

Have a great week-end

Bruno Magne
Porto Alegre
Brazil

[Edited at 2006-02-11 15:42]

[Edited at 2006-02-11 15:43]

[Edited at 2006-02-11 15:44]
Collapse

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
what about editing? Feb 11, 2006

In Hungarian everything looks fine when you read the posts or post a new reply. The only problem is when you edit your previous post.
í©¡??these are correct HU characters. Let's see what happens when I would like to edit them...
----------
They only look fine if when in editing mode I have Cental European encoding (not Unicode!) turned on.

[Edited at 2006-02-11 16:49]
íéáûúõóüö

[Edited at 2006-02-11 16:52]

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Member names incorrectly displayed Feb 11, 2006

I can confirm the editing problem in the Hungarian forum. See this post: http://www.proz.com/post/286842#286842

In addition, non-ASCII characters in member names are displayed incorrectly (squares) in Unicode forums. Example: http://www.proz.com/post/299654#299654

Endre
... See more
I can confirm the editing problem in the Hungarian forum. See this post: http://www.proz.com/post/286842#286842

In addition, non-ASCII characters in member names are displayed incorrectly (squares) in Unicode forums. Example: http://www.proz.com/post/299654#299654

Endre

[Edited at 2006-02-11 17:28]
Collapse

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Yes, what about KudoZ? Feb 11, 2006

Jabberwock wrote:
What about Kudoz??
Because if only forums are converted, it might get confusing...

I have already noticed that some POL-ENG questions are legible only in Unicode. I had to change the encoding back and forth in order to be able to read some of the questions/answers.
Are we supposed to set Unicode as our default encoding?
I think we're going to have a mess there

[Edited at 2006-02-11 21:27]

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Temporary mess - KudoZ conversion is now being tested :) Feb 11, 2006

Joanna Borowska wrote:

I have already noticed that some POL-ENG questions are legible only in Unicode. I had to change encoding back and forth in order to read some of the questions/answers.
Are we supposed to set Unicode as our default encoding?
I think we're going to have a mess there

The reason why SOME POL-ENG KudoZ questions are now in Unicode is that converting all KudoZ will happen very soon - right now the utility is being tested by moderators. I'd suggest to use Unicode from now on - there will be less to convert

The process is similar to forum conversion: after testing there will be an automatic conversion, which hopefully will not leave to many pages to convert manually.

So yes, - a bit of mess now, but this should be only temporary

Magda

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Accented letters in my loggin name changed into squares Feb 13, 2006

Hello,

I have noticed that due to this change my name in my profile (loggin) is no longer Mónica Machado, but instead M+square+Machado.

Hope this is sorted out soon.

Best regards,
Mónica

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
me too Feb 13, 2006

Mónica Machado wrote:
I have noticed that due to this change my name in my profile (loggin) is no longer Mónica Machado, but instead M+square+Machado.

The same problem is with my name, in Unicode doesn't look very attractive. I wanted to change it (to only have English characters), but that would mean another ID verification, so I gave it up.

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Possible solution Feb 13, 2006

Mónica and Péter,

Have you tried reentering your names (including the specific signs) while the page for editing your personal data is displayed in Unicode? I think it should work.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com staff is in the process of migrating the forums to unicode

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »