Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
No icons Feb 16, 2006

On some pages I see the announcement
ProZ.com is currently undergoing a change in character set to Unicode so some text in an older post might not display correctly. When text that is not in Unicode is encountered the system will place one or two icons under it:
but although there are characters that have not rendered correctly even when I ensured that my view op
... See more
ProZ.com is currently undergoing a change in character set to Unicode so some text in an older post might not display correctly. When text that is not in Unicode is encountered the system will place one or two icons under it:
but although there are characters that have not rendered correctly even when I ensured that my view option was set to Unicode, the icons were not there to click.
Collapse

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
Local time: 10:56
English
Possible causes Feb 16, 2006

GoodWords wrote:

but although there are characters that have not rendered correctly even when I ensured that my view option was set to Unicode, the icons were not there to click.

Ok, first let's double check a few things before we assume something has gone wrong.

- Only the forums are currently in in unicode, if you're looking at something outside the forums then non-english characters are going to display incorrectly if the character encoding is set to unicode.

- Double check that the character set being used on unicode pages is "Unicode (UTF-8)". This should be set automatically by your browser when it encounters one of our unicode pages, but it can';t hurt to check.

- Currently names are not yet converted, so any names containing special characters will display incorrectly in the forums. This will be corrected soon.

- If a section of text has been marked with an error by someone previously, the icons won't reappear until the error has been resolved.

If you have an example that doesn't fall into these categories, please let me know the topic, post or page specifically and I can take a look for myself to see what the problem is.

Andrew Wright

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
They were names Feb 16, 2006

If you have an example that doesn't fall into these categories, please let me know the topic, post or page specifically and I can take a look for myself to see what the problem is.

Thanks for the clarification. In this case, they were names.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:56
SITE FOUNDER
We will release a charset conversion tool for names along with the KudoZ release Feb 17, 2006

Mihai Badea wrote:

Mónica and Péter,

Have you tried reentering your names (including the specific signs) while the page for editing your personal data is displayed in Unicode? I think it should work.

This would indeed cause the verified identity to be undone. When we release the code to make KudoZ unicode, we will also release a feature to allow you to convert your name to Unicode. Note: this will only work if what you show throughout the site is your real name, ie. first and last name. If what you show is your username, we can not convert that because it would change your login. (We'll come up with another solution for *display* of those in Unicode, without an underlying conversion. In the meantime, anyone in this situation could, if you choose, switch over to showing real name (and then convert that via the conversion option.))

Hope you can make out what I am trying to say.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Many accented characters do not display correctly Feb 18, 2006

I normally use ProZ through the Italian interface. In many of the pages, at the moment accented characters do not display correctly.

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm having the same trouble as Riccardo Feb 21, 2006

There are hieroglyphics all over the place and I have no idea what all this talk of Unicode is about. All I know is that I switched on one morning and the proz site was (and still is) half gibberish.
What is more (and this is the FOURTH time I've mentioned this... grrrr ... ), I'd like to know why the text box fonts have been reduced to virtually invisible. There is no way of enlarging text and we can barely read what we are writing.
It is particularly bad on kudoz.
Please can
... See more
There are hieroglyphics all over the place and I have no idea what all this talk of Unicode is about. All I know is that I switched on one morning and the proz site was (and still is) half gibberish.
What is more (and this is the FOURTH time I've mentioned this... grrrr ... ), I'd like to know why the text box fonts have been reduced to virtually invisible. There is no way of enlarging text and we can barely read what we are writing.
It is particularly bad on kudoz.
Please can you fix this. Please, please, please????
Thanks
Angela

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

I normally use ProZ through the Italian interface. In many of the pages, at the moment accented characters do not display correctly.

[Edited at 2006-02-21 21:21]
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:56
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Migrating Feb 21, 2006

To the proZ staff: today the progress of migrating is very visible - you, people, are doing a great job, and I admire how fast everything is changing. A great job - thank you all!

Brie Vernier
Brie Vernier  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Odd display behavior - characters okay on first page access, but not okay when returning from a link Feb 21, 2006

Here is one example: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1262922

But I've been noticing it frequently. When I first accessed this page from the link in the e-mailed KudoZ notification, everything displayed correctly. Then I clicked on the link to the profile of the peer who agreed with the response, and when I hit my browser's back arrow, the special characters were garbled. Also, there are no button
... See more
Here is one example: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1262922

But I've been noticing it frequently. When I first accessed this page from the link in the e-mailed KudoZ notification, everything displayed correctly. Then I clicked on the link to the profile of the peer who agreed with the response, and when I hit my browser's back arrow, the special characters were garbled. Also, there are no buttons for me to check whether characters are displaying properly or not.

Another example is here: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1262898

When I click on the link to an external site (i.e. non ProZ), cited in one of the responses, then go back to the original page, the special characters are garbled.

Hope the feedback helps you with your project!
Collapse

Isabella Aiello
Isabella Aiello  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to Italian
+ ...
Me too. Feb 21, 2006

Angela Arnone wrote:
Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

[Edited at 2006-02-21 21:21]

Me too: the same problem of Riccardo and Angela.

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I made a mistake when clicking the option to accept the corrected version Feb 22, 2006

Hi,

I clicked the icon because I could seebroken characters on the sentence. However I have made a mistake and said that the version offered was correct when it wasn't.

Can I take it back somehow? TIA

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
No need to worry Feb 22, 2006

Dear Penelope,

Don’t worry. Your change will take no effect unless it is approved by an editor. The site staff foresaw such situations and the editors are meant to correct them.

[Edited at 2006-02-22 11:20]

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thx Mihai :) Feb 22, 2006

Pheeew! I hope I don't make more mistakes though... Back to work... Thx again

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
How to correct your conversion mistakes Feb 22, 2006

Mihai Badea wrote:
Your change will take no effect unless it is approved by an editor.

This is true, however, you are encouraged to correct mistakes you are aware of. To do so, open this page:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=charset_issues&sp_mode=list

If you click on a ticket in the leftmost column (ticket #), you are once again presented with different choices from which you can select the correct one.

Please let us know whether or not this has worked, Penelope.

Many thanks,
Endre

António Ribeiro
António Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Accented letters in my loggin name changed into squares -2 Feb 23, 2006

M󮩣a Machado wrote:

Hello,

I have noticed that due to this change my name in my profile (loggin) is no longer Mónica Machado, but instead M+square+Machado.

Hope this is sorted out soon.

Best regards,
Mónica

Hi,

Same thing with my name, António shows up as Ant+square

Cheers,

António

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com staff is in the process of migrating the forums to unicode

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »