Thread poster: Michael Powers (PhD)
Michael Powers (PhD)
Michael Powers (PhD)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2006

This is a continuatin of what we were doing on KudoZ in this new site.

I have decided to compile a somewhat thorough English-Spanish glossary, a long-standing goal I have had for many years but never actually done. In approximately 10% of the cases, I am recurring to you, my colleagues on Proz, to ask you to help me get appropriate translations into Spanish of a number of idioms.

I want to assure everyone that ALL TRANSLATIONS WILL BE SHARED on the open forum we have
... See more
This is a continuatin of what we were doing on KudoZ in this new site.

I have decided to compile a somewhat thorough English-Spanish glossary, a long-standing goal I have had for many years but never actually done. In approximately 10% of the cases, I am recurring to you, my colleagues on Proz, to ask you to help me get appropriate translations into Spanish of a number of idioms.

I want to assure everyone that ALL TRANSLATIONS WILL BE SHARED on the open forum we have in Proz. The way I guarantee this is by choosing “one answer” to which I incorporate many of the other answers, and then I post them in an Idioms - Spanish to English glossary in Proz for the use of everyone.

Selection criteria: 1) extensive usage throughout the Spanish-speaking world. I am counting on your help, and since usually colleagues simply agree without adding where they know the translated term to be used, I am not able to specify this in the answers. This is not a commercial enterprise, but rather an informal exercise for the benefit of all of us. 2) Many times there are really creative idioms that are used which, although not used necessarily throughout the Spanish-speaking world, would be readily understood by all. I am particularly happy to include these in the open forum so that we can all enjoy them in our use, whether literally, or perhaps with an adaptation to the degree that each translator deems appropriate for that particular target population.

Please, when you agree with an answer, mention the countries in which you know such idiom to be used, if not already mentioned by another colleague. Since this project is so time-consuming and endless, and since, like you, I have such a heavy load of translations and interpreting jobs to do and cannot spend umpteen million hours on it, I must count on your help. And although simply listing countries because another translator says so is in no way scientific, at least it is an interesting start.

Finally, I know context is everything. Quite often I will give the meaning(s) in which I am interested, and I will attempt to include a sample. Some sources, such as the Random House Dictionary, already have an example, so there is no need for me to do this, since time is of essence.

Thank you for your help.

The first 10 words will be posted in this forum within one week.
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use the KudoZ area Jan 16, 2006

Michael Powers (PhD) wrote:

The first 10 words will be posted in this forum within one week.

Hi Michael,

Terminology questions should be asked in the KudoZ section, not in the site forums.

Regards,
Enrique

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No Kudoz Jan 16, 2006

No more Kudoz, Mike has already been kicked off the Kudoz area for this project according to messages I saw after replying to some of his questions.

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Henry - let us not generalize and support the victim role Jan 16, 2006

Hola

Allow me to clarify a litle bit, if bit if I may.

I squashed Michael's questions as I felt they were in a very grey area of true KudoZ scope. I consulted with my co-mods and then un-squashed the questions.

The way I see it is as follows:

1. Michael has a linguistic project in his hands. It is his own glossary and his long-standing goal.

2. In my view, not as a
... See more
Hola

Allow me to clarify a litle bit, if bit if I may.

I squashed Michael's questions as I felt they were in a very grey area of true KudoZ scope. I consulted with my co-mods and then un-squashed the questions.

The way I see it is as follows:

1. Michael has a linguistic project in his hands. It is his own glossary and his long-standing goal.

2. In my view, not as a mod but a fellow translator, this is a project and it does not belong in KudoZ.

Why does he not post a job? Soemthing like: "I have a pro bono glossary project that I need help with. I need idioms that I am unable to find in the current KudoZ Open Glossary for my (personal) long-standing goal: a glossary... Please contact xxxxx"

Why did he not post a thread: "I have a personal linguistic project (idioms related) that I want to conclude. Those interested working pro-bono, please contact me..."

It is obvious he cannot post terminology questions in the Fora. Is the playing victim or trying to convert this into a catch 22?

I think that by offering to share the translations a lot of people are willing to help. But let us be 100% clear.

How would everyone feel if I do the following: post 100 medical questions, say nothing about a glossary; add the definitions/translations I get in KudoZ to a 900 word database I had; obviously grade and place the 100 terms in Kudoz in the KudoZ Open Glossary; get the total 1000 terms and make myself a glossary and take it to another Translator's portal (without the proZians knowing it) and/or keep it for my own benefit (the total 1000 words) and/or sell it?

Un abrazo.

JL

[Edited at 2006-01-16 19:41]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Idiomatic expressions - English into Spanish - Modismos - inglés al español

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »