Thread poster: JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 12:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2005

This afternoon I posted a reply on a forum. I checked to see that it had posted correctly and didn't have any typos; then I went off to the dentist. When I returned in the early evening, there was no sign of my remarks. I received no email notification that my post had been removed for X reason. I have seen shells of posts--title and poster's name, with a note in the body saying something like "This posting has been removed by a moderator." But mine is gone without a trace, as if it had never be... See more
This afternoon I posted a reply on a forum. I checked to see that it had posted correctly and didn't have any typos; then I went off to the dentist. When I returned in the early evening, there was no sign of my remarks. I received no email notification that my post had been removed for X reason. I have seen shells of posts--title and poster's name, with a note in the body saying something like "This posting has been removed by a moderator." But mine is gone without a trace, as if it had never been there. However, a moderator posted a reply using the same argument I had used.

What is the policy when a posting is removed? I'm curious (considering the very rude postings I've seen pass muster) what was wrong with mine.
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
where did you post it Oct 25, 2005

Do you remember in which forum you posted it?

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Looking for the problem Oct 25, 2005

Hi Jane

It's not normal to have a post that disappears with no explanation.

1) are you sure your post was published? If you saw it in the forum, you should be able to find it looking at your forum tab in your profile.

2) When postings are hidden (not removed) nothing is visible. The poster is notified.

3) What you might have seen instead of "This posting has been removed by a moderator" is "edited at...." and in fact it's the author himself who
... See more
Hi Jane

It's not normal to have a post that disappears with no explanation.

1) are you sure your post was published? If you saw it in the forum, you should be able to find it looking at your forum tab in your profile.

2) When postings are hidden (not removed) nothing is visible. The poster is notified.

3) What you might have seen instead of "This posting has been removed by a moderator" is "edited at...." and in fact it's the author himself who removes what he has said.

4) The policy is:
If a posting must be hidden, poster is notified.
If a posting is moved to another forum, poster is notified.
Postings are hidden when they don't follow Forum rules only.

The poster should always know what happens to his posting.

Regards

Claudia
Collapse

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
answering your questions Oct 25, 2005

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

First, to Maria: Yes, I remember what the forum was, and which moderator posted a similar answer to mine. But I don't know if it's within ProZ rules to mention it. The last time I included a reference in a posting a moderator (quite correctly) emailed me and asked me to remove that reference. So, though I see you're a a moderator I'm concerned about being specific about the forum and the moderator. But it you're sure it's OK, I'll post again.

Claudia, unless I've totally lost it, yes, I'm sure my post was published. As I said, I went back to the forum to make sure I had spelled everything right. That was about 10 hours ago. I checked my forum tab just before writing this reply, and there is no sign of my having been a part of that forum. Should I state what the forum was and who the moderator was who (it appears to me) hid my posting and rewrote my argument in what s/he may have considered to be gentler terms?

[Edited at 2005-10-25 01:14]

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
e-mail Oct 25, 2005

Jane, feel free to contact me via my profile. I'm sure we can find what happened to the posting

Update: the posting is nowhere to be found! It's not even greyed out (i.e. it was not hidden by any moderator); it's not there at all. This is very strange.
I think that only staff could possibly figure out what happened. I wish I could be of more help, Jane.

[Edited at 2005-10-25 01:57]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:25
English to German
+ ...
Submit a Support Request Oct 25, 2005

Hi Jane,
I would suggest to submit a Support Request to staff, indicating the topic to which you were trying to post a response and the approximate time (including the date). Ask them to check the site logs to see what happened.

Best regards,
Ralf

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Maria, Claudia, and Ralf Oct 25, 2005

Ralf, you must think I'm either a troublemaker or not too bright. At least I learned one lesson! (Ralf is the moderator mentioned above who asked me to remove a reference, in that case to an outsourcer.)

Maria and Claudia have been investigating and advising me via email. They,too, have suggested that I ask staff to check it out. However, from everything they were able to discover, I have to acknowledge that it was probably my mistake, that I simply never pressed the right button to
... See more
Ralf, you must think I'm either a troublemaker or not too bright. At least I learned one lesson! (Ralf is the moderator mentioned above who asked me to remove a reference, in that case to an outsourcer.)

Maria and Claudia have been investigating and advising me via email. They,too, have suggested that I ask staff to check it out. However, from everything they were able to discover, I have to acknowledge that it was probably my mistake, that I simply never pressed the right button to post my remarks, and that I am only imagining having checked it out later (since that is my usual practice).

The one thing that lingers to make me wonder is the fact that "my spot" was replaced by another posting, by a moderator, using the same two quotations from a previous poster, to make exactly the same point. But to my mind, the comment follows logically from the previous posting, so probably that moderator simply reacted the same way I did. All a coincidence.

My error, strange coincidence, this one goes to the "weird" file and I'm not going to worry about it any more!

Thank you again. You moderators have all been very kind and helpful.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:25
English to German
+ ...
Neither... Oct 25, 2005

Hi Jane,
Ralf, you must think I'm either a troublemaker or not too bright.

Neither, actually.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My post disappeared without a trace

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »