Why not make it possible to completely delete a forum entry
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2005

If we make a peer comment to questions, we can change it or delete it completely. If we give an answer that is a duplicate of the 12 that came before it or is so wrong it's embarrassing, we can hide it.
Why can't we remove all traces of a forum entry if we change our mind after we entered it? We can edit our entries but we can't remove them. Is there a reason why not, or could this option be added?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree Sep 29, 2005

writeaway wrote:

If we make a peer comment to questions, we can change it or delete it completely. If we give an answer that is a duplicate of the 12 that came before it or is so wrong it's embarrassing, we can hide it.
Why can't we remove all traces of a forum entry if we change our mind after we entered it? We can edit our entries but we can't remove them. Is there a reason why not, or could this option be added?

I completely agree. Sometimes you are a little quick on the draw and wish you had given the matter more thought, or your comment is completely redundant when many others have said the same thing. It would save a lot of red faces to have the option to delete.

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Sep 29, 2005

[Edited at 2005-09-29 16:01]

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can edit a posting empty Sep 29, 2005

As way of example I edited empty a posting above. All you have to do is to click on EDIT and then replace all text in tittle and body by a dot or other irrelevant character.

Besides you can ask the forum mod to hide the posting, or leave a test asking for it in the posting, so the moderator can know that the posting should be hidden.

Regards,
Enrique

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know this is a possibilty but why do we have to leave a trace? Sep 29, 2005

two2tango wrote:

[Edited at 2005-09-29 16:01]

sure, you can delete the written part, but the fact you've been here at all is still visible. What's the point?

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:30
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Moderators can do it Sep 29, 2005

We usually do so when a post didn't follow forum rules, but it can be done on request provided that there's no answer to that posting.

They would be completely invisible (some people think they had a dream).

Claudia

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
writeaway, look at your first post Sep 29, 2005

see?

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't the mods have enough to do already? Sep 29, 2005

two2tango wrote:

As way of example I edited empty a posting above. All you have to do is to click on EDIT and then replace all text in tittle and body by a dot or other irrelevant character.

Besides you can ask the forum mod to hide the posting, or leave a test asking for it in the posting, so the moderator can know that the posting should be hidden.

Regards,
Enrique

Surely we should be able to just delete it ourselves. I do agree with Claudia that if the posting has been answered and has become part of the discussion, the time for pulling out has passed.

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Claudia, por favor!! Sep 29, 2005

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

see?

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I would make the postings not editable, after 24 hours Sep 29, 2005

writeaway wrote:
Don't the mods have enough to do already?

The programmers are pretty busy too...

By the way, it is questionable even having the ability to edit the postings after many days or months. Once they are posted they belong to the discussion, and removing them may render a thread meaningless.

Contrary to your suggestion, I would suggest instead (after a grace period of, let's say, 24 hours, for editing out typing mistakes or else), that all forum postings are frozen as they have been posted.

Consider that most forms of communication, including email, once sent are not retrievable, so a permanent forum is not such a novelty or difficult to digest.

bye
Gianfranco

[Modificato alle 2005-09-29 16:17]

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Any moderator can be contacted for that Sep 29, 2005

if the forum moderator seems not to be on line, any other mod is able to make invisible an entry, but a reason should be provided, otherwise it's better to advice to think before posting.

I would not be in favor of making available to anybody the ability of making postings invisible because that would make mod's job more difficult.

Claudia

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:30
French to English
You've convinced me Sep 29, 2005

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

Consider that most forms of communication, including email, once sent are not retrievable, so a permanent forum is not such a novelty or difficult to digest.

I was previously in favour of writeaway's suggestion (indeed, I have suggested similar w.r.t. "ask the asker") but this is a good argument for the status quo.
If people *really* feel the need to remove something, then the tango twins' option works for me.

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:30
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Let's stay coherent Oct 1, 2005

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
By the way, it is questionable even having the ability to edit the postings after many days or months. Once they are posted they belong to the discussion, and removing them may render a thread meaningless.

[Modificato alle 2005-09-29 16:17]

Exactly. And it's a good way to motivate people to think first, before they start writing. Anyway, we all make mistakes or change our opinions every once in a while - I think it's better to live with it than to rewrite your personal history. (:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why not make it possible to completely delete a forum entry

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »