Should site staff be held to a higher standard in fora? (Staff: Andrew is a participant too)
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:52
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
May 10, 2019

Dear all,

I've been a member of this site for 13 years now, and I have always admired proz staff for their calm, civilized and matter-of-factly way of participating in the fora.

This seems to have changed significantly with a new staff member whose postings, if they had come from regular site users, I would expect to be subject to serious intervention by forum moderators.

While some postings from regular site members in the relevant threads leave a lot to b
... See more
Dear all,

I've been a member of this site for 13 years now, and I have always admired proz staff for their calm, civilized and matter-of-factly way of participating in the fora.

This seems to have changed significantly with a new staff member whose postings, if they had come from regular site users, I would expect to be subject to serious intervention by forum moderators.

While some postings from regular site members in the relevant threads leave a lot to be desired as well, I think that staff members should be held to a higher standard. Do you agree?

And, as a side note, a related factual question: Does forum moderation distinguish between posts from proz users and site staff?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Erik

[Edited for typos]

[Edited at 2019-05-10 14:26 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2019-05-13 15:29 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
Barbara Carrara
Thomas T. Frost
Daniela Zambrini
Jennifer White
Rachel Fell
Christel Zipfel

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:52
French to English
Interesting question May 10, 2019

No, we are all human beings, and should all have the same standards of behaviour on the forum.

Germaine

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Blood May 10, 2019

Erik Freitag wrote:

.....I think that staff member should be held to a higher standard. Do you agree?

I am concerned about how that person was ever able to become a staff member. There seems to be an underlying problem at Proz.

Mirko Mainardi
Thomas T. Frost
Ivana Kahle
Jennifer White
Grace Anderson
Helen Shiner
Darius Sciuka

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
One thing I've noticed May 10, 2019

People will tolerate all sorts of rudeness and aggression from "regular site members", but woe betide anyone who defends themselves against those remarks. A staff member should just stand there and politely accept any crap thrown at him/her.

That attitude sucks.

Andrew Morris
Tanya Quintieri

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Public forum May 10, 2019

If members choose to behave rudely on this site, they do so at cost to their own reputations. When a member of staff does so, it also brings the reputation of the site (such as it is) into question. It really is making me consider whether I wish any longer to be associated with Proz. I fail to see what it is achieving in any positive sense.

Natasha Ziada (X)
Jan Truper
Kay Denney
writeaway
Daniela Zambrini
Barbara Carrara
Yolanda Broad

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
One thing I've noticed May 10, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

People will tolerate all sorts of rudeness and aggression from "regular site members", but woe betide anyone who defends themselves against those remarks. A staff member should just stand there and politely accept any crap thrown at him/her.

That attitude sucks.

Edited to add: I'm surprised (or maybe not) that zillions of people have agreed with the original post that regular forum members should not adhere to the same standards as staff.

Tanya Quintieri

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Revoked by poster.
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:52
SITE FOUNDER
I'll reply to this shortly May 10, 2019

Hi all,

Thanks for using ProZ.com and for sharing thoughts / questions on this issue. I'll reply shortly. In the meantime, I am closing the thread.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Andrew is a participant in these forums. Let's try to be more welcoming of each other. May 13, 2019

Hey all,

This topic is similar to a recent one questioning Andrew's role. I replied by video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwMuaKoq6Pw

The video is 13 minutes, and I ramble a bit, so to spare those who don't want to watch here is a summary... try to follow the logic:

* ProZ.com adapted its mission statement in January. Up to now, ProZ.com has "provided
... See more
Hey all,

This topic is similar to a recent one questioning Andrew's role. I replied by video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwMuaKoq6Pw

The video is 13 minutes, and I ramble a bit, so to spare those who don't want to watch here is a summary... try to follow the logic:

* ProZ.com adapted its mission statement in January. Up to now, ProZ.com has "provided access" to "tools and opportunities". In other words, our target customer was the established professional and do-it-yourself-er. Now, we are taking it as our mission to "partner for success" with members (both individual and business), including those who may benefit from assistance. I don't expect the implications of this to immediately be clear. I touch on that in the video a bit.

* In connection with this shift, we are hiring new people. Andrew is one of those hired (for an initial 3-month engagement.) He is not a forum moderator, and this is part of why he may be coming across differently here. He has been hired to do, among the ProZ.com community, what he has done elsewhere: share his experiences and viewpoints in a such a way that others may benefit.

* The forums here can be uncomfortable at times, especially when the topic is ProZ.com or new initiatives from ProZ.com. I'd like to see that change. In the case of Andrew, I feel like he is being made to feel unwelcome, which is unfortunate. I see that he is giving it back a bit, a bit more than I would advise, and I've talked to him about that. But he is a participant here and doesn't need to be made to feel unwelcome.

To put it differently, Andrew is trying to talk about translation and translation-related topics. Threads are being taken astray, and discussion is veering, so that it winds up being a discussion of whether or not Andrew should be allowed to talk about these topics. (And then it gets into the back-and-forth.)

Andrew is not the only one to have experienced this. So my request to everyone: please be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Let's make the forums a more welcoming, more forgiving place.

Can we do that? Click "agree" if you would like the forums here to be friendly.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Erik Freitag
Andrew Morris
Sheila Wilson
Christopher Schröder
Chiara Foppa Pedretti
Tanya Quintieri

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:52
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Agree with this too May 13, 2019

Erik Freitag wrote:

... I have always admired proz staff for their calm, civilized and matter-of-factly way of participating in the fora.

Hope this changes now.

[Edited at 2019-05-13 18:25 GMT]

Helen Shiner
Fiona Grace Peterson
Yolanda Broad
Yvonne Gallagher
Jennifer White
writeaway

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:52
Italian to English
Thoughts May 13, 2019

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Click "agree" if you would like the forums here to be friendly.

I don't think anyone would argue they want "unfriendly" forums.

Henry Dotterer wrote:

But he is a participant here and doesn't need to be made to feel unwelcome.

At the risk of being tarred as one of the "negative group" of posters, why do you think Andrew is being "made to feel unwelcome", if that is the case?
I've been a member here since 2004, and this is the first time something like this has struck our sleepy little community.

Has some sort of collective psychosis gripped the "negative core" of forum posters, who feel some sort of insuppressible need to make a Proz.com staff member feel unwelcome?

Nearly all threads launched by the person concerned have "sailed into unproductive waters".

A thirteen-minute video produced by the site's president to calm the baying crowd.

More and more intriguing by the day.

Yolanda Broad
Yvonne Gallagher
Jennifer White
Katalin Horváth McClure
writeaway
Christopher Schröder

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Let's keep it simple, Fiona May 13, 2019

Thanks, Fiona, but I'm going to take a pass on analyzing. My request would be that the next time there is a topic posted by Andrew or anyone on, say, techniques for meeting end clients, we just stick to that as a topic and not get into any intrigue of this sort.

There is enough hassle to be found elsewhere in life...

Andrew Morris
Tanya Quintieri

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should site staff be held to a higher standard in fora? (Staff: Andrew is a participant too)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »