Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Agrees disappear if a forum discussion is closed?
Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure
Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:45
French to English
. Apr 16, 2019

Germaine wrote:

is this:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I don't understand why this would bother anybody. (...)

It doesn't bother me. Moderators have the right to remove threads and posts altogether, so I'm not going to get upset over a few missing Agrees. Although I'd prefer it if they would remove that unpleasant thread altogether. It reflects badly on a professional community.

It does bother me. When I use the Agree button, I express an opinion; 10, 15, 30, 50 "Agree", that’s 10, 15, 30, 50 (paying) members of this "professional community" who express their opinion. It’s also 10, 15, 30, 50 repeating posts that we don’t have to read and that the site won’t have to store. Most important, it’s often opinions that we may not have heard otherwise, giving us a pulse much more representative than ever before. So, yes, I get upset over "a few (!) missing Agrees".

If these opinions do count for threads that you deem worthy, they should still count in other circumstances. And don’t get me wrong: I perfectly know that the opinion of (paying) members of this community doesn’t count much unless "Management" agree with them. It’s their very right: this is a business, not a community service! Still, every time I see members being silenced or censored, I cannot but think: respect used to be good business practice.

Well, Jared stated above that the Agrees were not deliberately removed, and he's looking into it, so the moral outrage may be unnecessary after all.

Andrew Morris

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Out of curiosity... Apr 16, 2019

Where do you find closed threads?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Nowhere Apr 16, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Where do you find closed threads?

You just need the link/have visited them before and find them in your browser.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
There’s hidden and then there’s... disappeared? Apr 16, 2019

Now what’s going on? Today’s thread has disappeared altogether...

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:45
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thread is there, Chris Apr 16, 2019

Chris S wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by “Today’s thread”, but the closed (locked) thread I was referring to in my initial post is still there (link in my post). If you are talking about discussion threads that are on the “Most recent” list, you need to know that site staff can unlist threads from there, so it is not fully automatic, meaning that recent posts don’t always move the thread onto the top of the Recent list.
Anyway, my initial post was about the treatment of existing Agrees when a thread is locked, and Jared already said they should stay, so it is a programming issue - hopefully fixed soon.

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. Apr 16, 2019

Chris S wrote:

Crikey!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I meant Apr 16, 2019

I meant the follow-on thread about a new tone, or something like that. I was quite enjoying it.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Tuning the tone Apr 16, 2019

Chris S wrote:

about a new tone, or something like that. I was quite enjoying it.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Of sweeping and rugs Apr 16, 2019

Chris S wrote:

I meant the follow-on thread about a new tone, or something like that. I was quite enjoying it.

You can find it here: https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic-44.html

But yeah, granted, hiding (inconvenient) threads from view is a nifty trick. But oh oh, we're OT! Please don't stray from the original topic, Chris S. It would be troublesome if this thread were to be locked and agrees disappeared because of some glitch...

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Apr 16, 2019

[Bearbeitet am 2019-04-17 10:56 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could we not go off topic? Apr 16, 2019

It looks like the thread Chris was looking for was found, so could we please stay on topic here? (Not that I have anything against what you guys are talking about, it’s just that this is not the right place to continue that discussion.)

Here, I think we all need to wait for Jared to report back on his findings as to the cause of this unintended effect, and what they are going to do about it.
Thanks.

Added later:
Sigh... I don't know how else I could ask to
... See more
It looks like the thread Chris was looking for was found, so could we please stay on topic here? (Not that I have anything against what you guys are talking about, it’s just that this is not the right place to continue that discussion.)

Here, I think we all need to wait for Jared to report back on his findings as to the cause of this unintended effect, and what they are going to do about it.
Thanks.

Added later:
Sigh... I don't know how else I could ask to *pleeeease* not hijack this thread, because by doing that its original purpose will be lost and the issue might not get resolved. I guess I will have to resort to asking the moderators to remove off-topic posts from now on. Sigh...

[Edited at 2019-04-17 01:23 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yvonne Gallagher

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
*Unintentionally* deleted agrees are restored :) Apr 17, 2019

Victory!

Yvonne Gallagher
Evelio Clavel Rosales

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:45
SITE STAFF
Should be fixed Apr 17, 2019

Thanks Katalin for reporting this. Agrees on a locked thread are back.

Jared

Evelio Clavel Rosales

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jared Apr 17, 2019

I hope you guys were able to implement a permanent fix to the code, not just a manual workaround.
Although my hope is that thread-locking won't become a frequent thing, so hopefully we will not have to check the functionality again.

Evelio Clavel Rosales

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agrees disappear if a forum discussion is closed?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »