Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Deleted Forum Postings - or - Is the "Edit" function being abused?
Thread poster: Rossana Triaca
Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:09
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Wrong Stefan Jan 10, 2005

Stefan Keller wrote:
Claudia Iglesias wrote:
All those who want to discuss another topic are free to start a thread.
Would you agree? Otherwise it looks like hijacking or sabotage.
Claudia

The topic was "Deleted Forum Postings". I can't see that my posting didn't relate to this. ???

Hijacking or sabotage was by no means my intention.

Regards,
Stefan

The topic was "Deleted Forum Postings - or - Is the "Edit" function being abused?"

My wording and reaction might have been clumsy, but the fact is that the initial poster was talking about people who edit their own posts, not other situations.

Two members brought other topics that requested an investigation to understand what their problem was about and also clarification.
I'm glad that these two people received the answer that explained what had happened, but I felt sorry for the initial poster who got just one comment to her concern.
I had the feeling that something should be done to bring back the initial topic.

Maybe a blunder from my side, sorry.

Claudia

[Edited at 2005-01-10 22:52]

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:09
English to German
Touché Jan 10, 2005

I see, Claudia!

Mea culpa, indeed. Apologies...

Regards,
Stefan

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
Revenons a nos moutons? Jan 10, 2005

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Two members brought other topics that requested an investigation to understand what their problem was about and also clarification.
I'm glad that these two people received the answer that explained what had happened, but I felt sorry for the initial poster who got just one comment to her concern.
I had the feeling that something should be done to bring back the initial topic.

Maybe a blunder from my side, sorry.

Claudia

I do not think it was a blunder on your side! My thoughts were exactly the same as yours. I am always amazed at how postings and threads just "wander away" from the original topic, and in some cases there never seems to be a clarification or closing on the issues posted. I am glad you tried to get back to the subject!

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:09
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry... Jan 11, 2005

about my delay in getting back at you all; as soon as I posted the thread I had an extremely urgent assignment that kept me busy all day ("busy" being an understatement for "frantic"; working in-house has its downsides too - you just can't say no!).

First of all, yes, my thoughts were about posters that edited their own threads, as Claudia stated. However, I'm not sorry the thread went astray because it was useful for at least two members to find out what happened to their mi
... See more
about my delay in getting back at you all; as soon as I posted the thread I had an extremely urgent assignment that kept me busy all day ("busy" being an understatement for "frantic"; working in-house has its downsides too - you just can't say no!).

First of all, yes, my thoughts were about posters that edited their own threads, as Claudia stated. However, I'm not sorry the thread went astray because it was useful for at least two members to find out what happened to their missing posts. I think it proves that you should always ask when something of the sort happens (moderators are really helpful!).

To return to the original thread, GoodWords was right to point to the latest example of post editing. That was the thread that prompted me to ask if noone else found it annoying. However, this discussion was not aimed at that thread in particular, but to the practice in general (that thread was just the last straw for me). It just happens that lately I've been down to the forum archives and found many irritating examples as well.

I have been contacted privately by several people (whom I'll address as soon as I get the time, I promise!), explaining their personal reasons for deleting their posts. I can say as a whole that I understand their reasons (even relate on some cases) but I still cannot concur with their decision of completely removing their posts.

I think Ralf hit the spot when he said he wouldn't delete some of the posts on this thread because they contained valuable information; I feel the same way with almost all posts, because even if they are not informative in themselves they tell a lot about the person who wrote them (for good or bad).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleted Forum Postings - or - Is the "Edit" function being abused?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »