Recurrence of Nov. 20 incident (being redirected when viewing some pages)
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 3, 2012

Today, some forum threads forward me to whatismyipaddress.com again...

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2012-12-03 13:19 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2012-12-03 13:39 GMT]

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Can you submit the specifics in a support request? Dec 3, 2012

Hi Samuel,

A few reports have come in through the support system and a developer is looking into this now. Would you mind submitting the specifics (including browser, the particular threads, etc.) in a support request? Thanks!

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:26
Hebrew to English
I thought something was fishy again....... Dec 3, 2012

I never got redirected this time, but my computer kept blocking me from ProZ for a while about an hour ago. I stopped trying when the penny dropped........

[Edited at 2012-12-03 14:14 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:26
SITE FOUNDER
Thank you. Dec 3, 2012

Unfortunately, I can confirm that we have multiple reports of the same thing that happened on November 20 happening over the past hour.

The ad server has been taken offline, which should have effectively addressed the problem. (If anyone experiences anything that would suggest otherwise, please post here or submit a support ticket.)

Thank you for the reports. I'll post again as to what the plans will be going forward to ensure a safe user experience at ProZ.com. In the
... See more
Unfortunately, I can confirm that we have multiple reports of the same thing that happened on November 20 happening over the past hour.

The ad server has been taken offline, which should have effectively addressed the problem. (If anyone experiences anything that would suggest otherwise, please post here or submit a support ticket.)

Thank you for the reports. I'll post again as to what the plans will be going forward to ensure a safe user experience at ProZ.com. In the meantime, all I can do is apologize once again. We thought we had this handled, and clearly we did not.
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Specifics Dec 3, 2012

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hi Samuel,

A few reports have come in through the support system and a developer is looking into this now. Would you mind submitting the specifics (including browser, the particular threads, etc.) in a support request? Thanks!

Probably more useful to others if specifics go up here. I was using IE, happened around 13:00 GMT, got directed to the same site as Samuel, no particular thread (just www.proz.com).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't, sorry Dec 3, 2012

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
Would you mind submitting the specifics (including browser, the particular threads, etc.)...

It happened to two threads that were open at the same time, but when I tried to trigger it again, I could not. I can only guess that it must be a specific advert that causes it, and I didn't get that advert when I visited those same threads again.

Are you sure this is malware? Couldn't it just be a mistyped URL in the target link of an advert?

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Report submitted Dec 3, 2012

I submitted a report after experiencing the glitch when using my main computer. I then switched to my smartphone to continue responding to the same Kudoz question I was looking at when it occurred, and had the same experience via the phone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recurrence of Nov. 20 incident (being redirected when viewing some pages)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »