Would it be too much to ask for a translation studies forum?
Thread poster: murat Karahan
murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:12
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jul 14, 2004

I mean we have the lighter side of translation, shouldn't we balance it with the creepy, scary, dire, dark side of translation: translation studies It's more than linguistics and I believe it should stand on its own bearing in mind the efforts of many to get it accepted as a different field of study.
Think of the many approaches, developments that could be discussed or shared and how it could possibly and positively reflect
... See more
I mean we have the lighter side of translation, shouldn't we balance it with the creepy, scary, dire, dark side of translation: translation studies It's more than linguistics and I believe it should stand on its own bearing in mind the efforts of many to get it accepted as a different field of study.
Think of the many approaches, developments that could be discussed or shared and how it could possibly and positively reflect on translators who maybe have never had contact with studies about their profession.
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
English to French
+ ...
That would be a good idea :-) Jul 15, 2004

You have my full support, being a translation student myself!

murat Karahan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Marie Jul 15, 2004

As you know there are many approaches to the study of translation and in my opinion still many things to add to it. But the worst approach is: Translation Studies, the boooogeyman,
such a forum could be very informing.

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

You have my full support, being a translation student myself!

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Definitely a good idea! Jul 15, 2004

I agree with Marie; it's a good idea. I studied Translation Studies and I found it fascinating and I still continue to keep up with developments when I can. Murat is right; there are so many different approaches and "schools" of translation theory out there. Given the various backgrounds of proZ.com members, I'm sure we could dig up some really interesting and bizarre theories as well as the more formal and scientific approaches. ... See more
I agree with Marie; it's a good idea. I studied Translation Studies and I found it fascinating and I still continue to keep up with developments when I can. Murat is right; there are so many different approaches and "schools" of translation theory out there. Given the various backgrounds of proZ.com members, I'm sure we could dig up some really interesting and bizarre theories as well as the more formal and scientific approaches. Perhaps some members are even working on their own theories as I write...
I'm all for it!

Aisha
Collapse

murat Karahan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why translation studies Jul 15, 2004

I guess it was not enough so simply ask for a Translation Studies forum. No matter how many fora there are in Proz, Translation Studies would still be one of the most pertinent to our profession. It is not about technique, it's far beyond linguistics, it is a much debated topic and very fruitful to new theories etc. It may not add up to your translation skills yet it can help you to evaluate the process, give you new insights. And it can enhance the proficiency in the practice of translation. It... See more
I guess it was not enough so simply ask for a Translation Studies forum. No matter how many fora there are in Proz, Translation Studies would still be one of the most pertinent to our profession. It is not about technique, it's far beyond linguistics, it is a much debated topic and very fruitful to new theories etc. It may not add up to your translation skills yet it can help you to evaluate the process, give you new insights. And it can enhance the proficiency in the practice of translation. It involves all aspects of translation, not only literary translation.
Translation is a complex, interdisciplinary linguistic activity and involves creativity among other things. Just think of what's all involved, cross cultural communication, socio-cultural factors, psychology, politics etc. And if Translation Studies can't find a home at Proz, then where else? Hans Hoenig passed away 10 days ago, how many have read his books? Yet there are some of his students here. What better way is there to pay tribute to him than to spread/share his views on translation? Just think about Gideon Thoury, Mona Baker, Vermeer and many many more and their works.
Collapse

murat Karahan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quite right Jul 15, 2004

There could be as many "schools" as there are schools Linguistics was the starting ground for the theories and translation studies. We as translators could take it one step further based on our experience. There are still some people at proz who are not sure whether their translations should be target reader (or audience oriented). Even the basics of translation theories are to some as distant as the stars, yet learning more about these could make them enjoy it.

Aisha Maniar wrote:

I agree with Marie; it's a good idea. I studied Translation Studies and I found it fascinating and I still continue to keep up with developments when I can. Murat is right; there are so many different approaches and "schools" of translation theory out there. Given the various backgrounds of proZ.com members, I'm sure we could dig up some really interesting and bizarre theories as well as the more formal and scientific approaches. Perhaps some members are even working on their own theories as I write...
I'm all for it!

Aisha

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:12
English to Turkish
+ ...
Great idea Jul 16, 2004

In fact, the question should have been: how come we still do not have a forum to discuss translation as a discipline?

It might have contributed greatly to everyone: the beginner, the seasoned, the scholastic. As an experienced translator without any schooling in the field, I am most enthusiastic to be able to read and discuss more on the theories and ideas related to my profession.

And, space problem in the virtual space... ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would it be too much to ask for a translation studies forum?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »