Number of replies to a topic - how to discover?
Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:38
German to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2012

(This is interesting but probably not really important.)
Following a post I made at 10:39 (GMT) today in a topic about "native language" claims, I would
  1. like to know the easiest way to find out how many replies were posted in a certain topic, including those from more than a year ago;
  2. suggest that there should be a modification to the programming of the forum pages to make it easier to see the number of replies
The "most recent posts" forum page shows these num
... See more
(This is interesting but probably not really important.)
Following a post I made at 10:39 (GMT) today in a topic about "native language" claims, I would
  1. like to know the easiest way to find out how many replies were posted in a certain topic, including those from more than a year ago;
  2. suggest that there should be a modification to the programming of the forum pages to make it easier to see the number of replies
The "most recent posts" forum page shows these numbers, but only for the most recent posts which, despite requests from Proz members, are still limited to 2 days. The only way I have found to see the number of replies to older posts is to navigate via the "Forums about ProZ,com" link to a specific forum and then select one page at a time from the list shown at the top and bottom of the lists of topics on those pages.
By doing this (& with a prompt from somebody in another post) I have found a topic with 762 replies, from the year 2006 (I found it here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems-51.html?start=300).

Oliver
Collapse

Daniel Grau
Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Try this search Jul 15, 2012

I was not able to fine-tune this, but it works if you look for the header in the proper webpages:

• "Pages in topic" "6 7 8 9" site:www.proz.com/forum/

Change the number sequence as needed, but use at least two to ensure uniqueness:

• "Pages in topic" "40 41" site:www.proz.com/forum/

Each number (a page) represents 15 answers, except for the last page, which may have less than 15 messages.

The longest thread so far has 189 page
... See more
I was not able to fine-tune this, but it works if you look for the header in the proper webpages:

• "Pages in topic" "6 7 8 9" site:www.proz.com/forum/

Change the number sequence as needed, but use at least two to ensure uniqueness:

• "Pages in topic" "40 41" site:www.proz.com/forum/

Each number (a page) represents 15 answers, except for the last page, which may have less than 15 messages.

The longest thread so far has 189 pages (close to 3000 posts).
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:38
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it! Jul 15, 2012

Yes, that's an idea; thanks for the suggestion. The thread I mentioned therefore has a long way to go, with not even 800 posts!
I've tried your method and found the topic you probably mean. I presume you mean this one, in Spanish. It has 2830 posts (assuming that each page but the last has 15)
... See more
Yes, that's an idea; thanks for the suggestion. The thread I mentioned therefore has a long way to go, with not even 800 posts!
I've tried your method and found the topic you probably mean. I presume you mean this one, in Spanish. It has 2830 posts (assuming that each page but the last has 15).

http://www.proz.com/forum/spanish/25693-conociéndonoz-page189.html

Oliver
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of replies to a topic - how to discover?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »