Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:11
English to Czech
+ ...
Yep Jun 30, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Why has my title been changed?
I find it frustating that titles are changed completely unilaterally without first running them past the topic starter (sometimes to include grammatical errors).

I'd like to know that too.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Forum titles should be as descriptive and accurate as possible Jun 30, 2011

Hello Lisa,

Lisa Simpson wrote:

I find it frustrating that titles are changed completely unilaterally without first running them past the topic starter (sometimes to include grammatical errors). My question was not "Where does support come from in the SDL Trados support forum?". It wasn't remotely that. It wasn't SDL Trados specific (initially) and the point of my question "ProZ becoming CAT support" was to question a) to what degree ProZ is providing the sole source of CAT support as the software providers are providing (next to) none of their own b) is CAT support dominating the forum? A completely different question to the one the title has now been changed to...

[Edited at 2011-06-30 12:31 GMT]

The title of your post was edited since the original title, "ProZ becoming CAT support", may have been misleading (showing a connection between ProZ.com and CAT tools support that does not exist) and did not describe what you actually mention in your last post: a) to what degree ProZ is providing the sole source of CAT support as the software providers are providing (next to) none of their own b) is CAT support dominating the forum?.

If you'd like to include a more descriptive title, please feel free to submit a support request and support staff will be happy to edit it for you again, http://www.proz.com/support

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Lucía

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unilateral changes should still not be carried out Jun 30, 2011

a) invariably there might be a misunderstanding (which there was in this case)
b) surely it's only courteous to run it past the original poster?

[Edited at 2011-06-30 14:02 GMT]

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Titles are edited for purposes of clarity and organization Jun 30, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:

a) invariably there might be a misunderstanding (which there was in this case)
b) sure it's only courteous to run it past the original poster?

I understand your concern, Lisa, but for purposes of clarity and organization of the archives, moderators and site staff are given authority to edit posting titles without the need to check with the topic starter, http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/2#2

There might be misunderstandings, of course, but you are always welcome to use the support center to ask for the adjustment of your forum posts titles at any time.

Now, I suggest the original discussion continues and that you use the support center to propose a more suitable title for this thread if you want.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Lucía

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
To answer your original question... Jun 30, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:

a) to what degree ProZ is providing the sole source of CAT support as the software providers are providing (next to) none of their own b) is CAT support dominating the forum?

Let's start with the last part. There are of course specific forums for CAT support on Proz but you may have meant "dominating the site", in which case the answer is no, at least for me. I get plenty of other things out of Proz apart from help with software.

I use mainly Trados Studio. When I need support, I check the TW_users Yahoo discussion group first and then Proz, sometimes posting a support request to SDL as well. I pay for a support contract and have always received from SDL a satisfactory reply/explanation/suggestion/Webex session or whatever else was required to sort out my problem. Generally, a glance at TW_users or Proz is quicker, though, for all but the most complicated difficulties. Conversely, if someone else posts a query I can help with on TW_users or Proz, I chip in, sometimes with information I have paid to receive from SDL support. Note that SDL staff often provide free support information on both TW_users and Proz, which anyone can then dig out of the archive.

The support contract format for software licences is very common because it works, and not just for CAT tools. It enables the software company to provide paid professional help to users and is an extra stimulus - in addition to competition from other software houses - to timely product improvement. In the CAT world, MemoQ, for example, has also adopted this business model, charging 20% of the cost of the licence as an annual support fee, and as in SDL's case, the support contract includes upgrades. In contrast, Déjà Vu continues (correct me if I'm wrong, please, DV users!) to provide excellent free support. The downside is that the just-released DVX2 was actually due out over a year ago. If DVX users had been paying for support contracts, they might have felt entitled to receive the new program a tad earlier

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I also get plenty out of ProZ Jun 30, 2011

This wasn't a criticism of ProZ. I was merely pointing out the fact that CAT support is dominating not the site but the forum. A quick scan of the latest 50 topics under discussion shows that roughly 25 are CAT support questions. Okay 'dominating' might be a minor exaggeration. I'm sure someone out there can help with more accurate statistics.

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
I'm Guilty Jul 1, 2011

Without Proz I would never have been able to use Studio 2009 - (apart from the fact that I never get enough spare time to read or even find manuals).
The best approach for any problem is to type a few words in Google: you immediately find the solution on the Proz forum pages so a big thank you to all concerned (Jerzy in particular!)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com forums increasingly being used for CAT support queries

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »