How to report insulting by other members?
Thread poster: Nedzad Selmanovic
Mar 16, 2004

Dear all,

Having seen Forums > Croatian > srpsko-hrvatski topic, I became highly interested about questions and comments in there. The main question was how to explain Serbo-Croat language. Colleague Aleksandar gave his opinion but at the end of his answer he mentioned something about Bosnian language, stating that this particular language is a political construction, which I got offended with very much.
Being a Bosnian, I could not refrain from answering to that and so I did
... See more
Dear all,

Having seen Forums > Croatian > srpsko-hrvatski topic, I became highly interested about questions and comments in there. The main question was how to explain Serbo-Croat language. Colleague Aleksandar gave his opinion but at the end of his answer he mentioned something about Bosnian language, stating that this particular language is a political construction, which I got offended with very much.
Being a Bosnian, I could not refrain from answering to that and so I did, but on a very polite way and showing good manners, and to be honest, I still can't calm down and forget what was written there. Is there any one here who can do something about such postings? It would be highly appreciated if something could be done about that.

Sincerely,

Nedžad Selmanoviæ
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 22:12
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
address your concerns to the Forum moderator Mar 17, 2004

That's the easiest way. It's like on the road (angry drivers - you know). Better stay away from flaming - no good for anybody.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:12
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Vlad said it all Mar 17, 2004

Hello Nedzad,
As Vladimir mentioned in his posting, please address your concern to the appropriate forum mod. If there are no mods for that forum, please contact me (or any other moderator) directly.

Thank you and have a nice one.
Monika

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:12
Spanish to English
A misunderstanding? Mar 17, 2004

People make very hurtful comments about other people's languages, customs, stereotypes sometimes without realizing at all that they are being hurtful.
The people in the Republic of Ireland get very upset when their island is referred to as part of the British Isles, and yet that was what I was always taught in Northern Ireland and never thought of it as a political statement.
I've heard people in all innocence say that Catalán and Nahuatl are dialects without realizing how extremely
... See more
People make very hurtful comments about other people's languages, customs, stereotypes sometimes without realizing at all that they are being hurtful.
The people in the Republic of Ireland get very upset when their island is referred to as part of the British Isles, and yet that was what I was always taught in Northern Ireland and never thought of it as a political statement.
I've heard people in all innocence say that Catalán and Nahuatl are dialects without realizing how extremely offensive that is.
I totally understand why you are so angry, but isn't it possible that the other person was just showing their ignorance,not malice?
Collapse

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 05:12
English to Croatian
+ ...
With all respect to you... Mar 17, 2004

Dear Nedzad,

Since I was the one who started the thread in Croatian forum, I feel responsible for your feeling of being insulted and for the very mess the whole thread could eventually cause. Perhaps it would be wiser to just accept that there are people who think differently (even though we don\'t have to like their thoughts or agree with them) and as long as there is no violence and personal addressing, just consider forums to be a place for everyone to express their opinions and
... See more
Dear Nedzad,

Since I was the one who started the thread in Croatian forum, I feel responsible for your feeling of being insulted and for the very mess the whole thread could eventually cause. Perhaps it would be wiser to just accept that there are people who think differently (even though we don\'t have to like their thoughts or agree with them) and as long as there is no violence and personal addressing, just consider forums to be a place for everyone to express their opinions and views... After all, maybe our respected colleague has learned a thing or two from your post in the Croatian forum, you never know...

All the best,

Seadeta
Collapse

Nedzad Selmanovic
Nedzad Selmanovic
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all very much for understanding Mar 17, 2004

To Seadeta:
My dear colleague, you are not responsible for anything. All you did was that you asked for advice, and one answerer turned into a wrong direction by mixing politics with profession. He also stated his personal opinion about Bosnian language that I have got offended and after all humiliated with. One must be so much "brave" to describe any language as "so called political construction" in public. I worked for the United Nations for more then 7 years, and not a single staff memb
... See more
To Seadeta:
My dear colleague, you are not responsible for anything. All you did was that you asked for advice, and one answerer turned into a wrong direction by mixing politics with profession. He also stated his personal opinion about Bosnian language that I have got offended and after all humiliated with. One must be so much "brave" to describe any language as "so called political construction" in public. I worked for the United Nations for more then 7 years, and not a single staff member had ever stated something similar because of the Rules, Regulations, Rights and Obligations, which if not respected or broken would have banned him/her for good from UN system. By signing up with ProZ, we agreed with similar rules as well, and yet those rules are being broken. Why, I don't know and don't want to know. I respect every human being on this planet and will always keep that respect at maximum.
To all others who responded here:
Thank you all very much for useful advises. I have now my piece of mind.
To Kemal Mustajbegovic (Croatian Forum moderator):
As I said in my personal e-mail, I hereby want to apologize for not contacting you immediately, and I want to thank you for understanding and support.
To all others whom I received e-mails from:
Thank you very much for understanding and support.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to report insulting by other members?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »