What is the benefit of receiving forum email notifications for our own posts?
Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:01
English to French
Mar 2, 2011

Hello,

It is nice to receive an email to know that someone has responded to your post, especially if your are urgently trying to solve a technical problem. On the other hand, I am not sure I see the benefit of receiving an email stating that you have yourself sent a reply. Presumably you would know that?

Thanks

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 23:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not necessarily. Mar 2, 2011

Jacques DP wrote:
... I am not sure I see the benefit of receiving an email stating that you have yourself sent a reply. Presumably you would know that?

If you're one of the multitude of forum users whose posts have to be vetted, the e-mail notification of your own posts is a useful signal that they have not only been sent but also - and more importantly - made visible to other users.

It would be a retrograde step if the notification system were adapted to filter out all those relating to one's own posts.

MediaMatrix

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I entirely agree! Mar 2, 2011

It is quite a nuisance.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:01
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Choice? Mar 2, 2011

mediamatrix wrote:
If you're one of the multitude of forum users whose posts have to be vetted, the e-mail notification of your own posts is a useful signal that they have not only been sent but also - and more importantly - made visible to other users.

I agree that it's a nuisance for those of us whose posts are published immediately. I don't know how many times I've received an email and thought "Ah! A reply!", only to find I'm being informed that I've posted!

Perhaps there could either be a choice (Do you wish to receive notification of your posts? Yes/no) or else it could depend on this vetting (with vetting = notification; without vetting = no notification)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the benefit of receiving forum email notifications for our own posts?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »