Is strict adherence to site scope rules killing the forums?
Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 1, 2011

I haven't been very active on the Proz forums lately, for various reasons, but partly, to be quite honest, because I wasn't much stimulated by the discussions there. A lot of them are getting repetitive (for me), although I'm sure that's very useful for newcomers, but how many discussions on low rates, bad proofreaders or mean agencies can you take part in before you feel you've seen it all before?

Now 3 days ago there was a small discussion on the topic of translating fundamental
... See more
I haven't been very active on the Proz forums lately, for various reasons, but partly, to be quite honest, because I wasn't much stimulated by the discussions there. A lot of them are getting repetitive (for me), although I'm sure that's very useful for newcomers, but how many discussions on low rates, bad proofreaders or mean agencies can you take part in before you feel you've seen it all before?

Now 3 days ago there was a small discussion on the topic of translating fundamental Western literature (Adam Smith, de Tocqueville etc) into Arabic and its potential contribution (or not) to understanding between cultures, as this literature has played a major role in shaping the Western mind... which I finally thought was an interesting topic. But no sooner had I contributed than it was removed for breaching Proz rules (probably the "don't do politics" rule). I'm sorry but why is discussing the role translation plays in intercultural understanding (even when, as I argued, this understanding can sometimes lead to a dangerous power imbalance), be outside the scope of translators' concerns?
If a comment was made here or there on the current role played by certain Western governments, then maybe the poster could simply be asked to edit their posting, no? Instead of killing the whole discussion...
I'm not pleading to bring the discussion back, but just saying that the Proz forums are all the poorer because such stimulating discussions are blocked...

I have a feeling I may be asked to post this comment via a support ticket instead, but still wanted to make my opinion heard and if possible, hear the opinions of other Prozians...

[Edited at 2011-03-01 12:28 GMT]
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 02:33
Russian to English
+ ...
This has been the problem with this place since I can remember Mar 1, 2011

For this reason, I hardly ever bother participating anymore. Sometimes it's like deja vu from the not so good old times, all over again.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I second that Mar 1, 2011

I was the original poster of the aforementioned thread.

The link to the article I posted gave valuable information for potential translation work.

The article talked about how so little of important western political thought was available to Arabic speakers. It also said that there was a budget available to change this situation.

The discussion was only lightly political. Most of what was being discussed was the merits of even translating these texts.
... See more
I was the original poster of the aforementioned thread.

The link to the article I posted gave valuable information for potential translation work.

The article talked about how so little of important western political thought was available to Arabic speakers. It also said that there was a budget available to change this situation.

The discussion was only lightly political. Most of what was being discussed was the merits of even translating these texts.

Apparently there were posts after mine that got the whole thread quashed. But, why not just edit out the offending bits instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater?
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Discussion will be made visible again Mar 1, 2011

Hi all,

Thanks, Nesrin, for bringing this case up.

It can be difficult at times for site moderators and staff to make vetting decisions on certain topics which come close to, or appear at first glance to be, out of site scope. Both moderators and staff do their best to uphold the scope of the forums along with all other site rules, but to err is human.

In the specific case you mention, the discussion thus far is within site rules and so far within the sco
... See more
Hi all,

Thanks, Nesrin, for bringing this case up.

It can be difficult at times for site moderators and staff to make vetting decisions on certain topics which come close to, or appear at first glance to be, out of site scope. Both moderators and staff do their best to uphold the scope of the forums along with all other site rules, but to err is human.

In the specific case you mention, the discussion thus far is within site rules and so far within the scope of the forums, and will be made visible again. Thanks!

Lucía
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Lucia! Mar 1, 2011

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Locking thread Mar 1, 2011

Since the issue discussed here has been clarified and solved, I am locking this thread.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is strict adherence to site scope rules killing the forums?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »