Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
How about a "rate my translation" forum?
Thread poster: philgoddard
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:58
SITE STAFF
Word limit, naming convention for submissions, and promotion Feb 25, 2011

Hi all,

As Samuel points out, 500 is the maximum word limit, not a minimum.

To help organize things while this is in forum format, a naming convention will be used for each new submission, similar to the one Samuel has mentioned.

With regards to getting the word out, aside from the mention and link on the homepage, an item on this new area will also be going out in the February newsletter, among other promotional efforts. If you have colleagues who might b
... See more
Hi all,

As Samuel points out, 500 is the maximum word limit, not a minimum.

To help organize things while this is in forum format, a naming convention will be used for each new submission, similar to the one Samuel has mentioned.

With regards to getting the word out, aside from the mention and link on the homepage, an item on this new area will also be going out in the February newsletter, among other promotional efforts. If you have colleagues who might be interested in participating, help spread the word too! Notifying via email is something that would need to be further worked out, but for the time being one can subscribe to new posts in the forum and receive notification of new submissions that way.

Niraja brings up the concern of informing clients. It will be expected that those who submit a translation are adhering to any possible confidentiality agreements or copyright issues. The delay that will be placed on when a submission is actually published is also designed to avoid abuse of the system (for example, submitting a text that I am working on in order to receive free proofreading/editing help).

I'm looking forward to seeing the first submissions!

Jared
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No unnecessary delays, please Feb 25, 2011

Jared wrote:
The delay that will be placed on when a submission is actually published is also designed to avoid abuse of the system (for example, submitting a text that I am working on in order to receive free proofreading/editing help).

I understand that the delay is intended to help prevent abuse whereby translators try to get free proofreading services, but surely that is what the 500-word limit is for.

The big disadvantage of such a delay is that by the time the text is published, the person who had initiate it may have lost interest in it (or may no longer have time available to continue being "present" while his text is being discussed). I would prefer to be able to be involved with my submission very shortly after I had submitted it.

And even if a translator abuses the system once, he won't be able to get away with it several times in a row (unless he only does short, 500-word translations and only does translation once in a while).

If it eventually happens that abuse of this kind seems to happen, then ProZ.com can place a limit also on the number of submissions per week or per month.

And well, you know, I actually don't mind if the submitter is going to use the results of the discussion to produce a better translation for his client... because I know that other translators will also discuss the text (and possibly my comments too) and that means that I'll learn from their experience, which in turn makes it worth my while to participate.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:58
SITE STAFF
Why don't we get started and see how it works? Feb 25, 2011

Hi Samuel,

I don't think I mentioned how long the delay would be, but I doubt it will be a hindrance to the system.

I'm all in favor of getting started and seeing how this works in practice, and adjusting accordingly; just waiting for the first submission to roll in!

Jared

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Where exactly? Feb 26, 2011

Jared wrote:

I'm all in favor of getting started and seeing how this works in practice, and adjusting accordingly; just waiting for the first submission to roll in!

Jared

Dear Jared,

Where is this particular arena exactly? Does your "just waiting for the first submission to roll in!" mean that it is already up and running? I wasn't able to find it.

I'll get out of the way now. I'm sure Samuel has something to say.

Regards,
Cilian

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Here is the link to the new Translation feedback area Feb 26, 2011

Hello Cilian,

As Jared announced in a previous post in this thread, the forum for the new Translation feedback area, including the guidelines for submission of translations and providing feedback, is up:

http://www.proz.com/topic/192944

Anyone is welcome to use the support system to submit texts to be posted a
... See more
Hello Cilian,

As Jared announced in a previous post in this thread, the forum for the new Translation feedback area, including the guidelines for submission of translations and providing feedback, is up:

Anyone is welcome to use the support system to submit texts to be posted and discussed.

Hope this clarifies.

Have a nice weekend!

Lucía
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Up? Feb 26, 2011

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello Cilian,

... the forum for the new Translation feedback area, ..., is up:

Anyone is welcome to use the support system to submit texts to be posted and discussed.

Hope this clarifies.

Have a nice weekend!

Lucía

Hi Lucia,

So a thread has simply been started to discuss the matter? I obviously misunderstood, thought that the "feedback area" already existed and I wanted to check it out.

Thanks,
Cilian

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:58
English
+ ...
Up Feb 26, 2011

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

So a thread has simply been started to discuss the matter? I obviously misunderstood, thought that the "feedback area" already existed and I wanted to check it out.

The thread started to discuss the matter is this very thread.

The feedback area is already up, and the link to the first post was posted earlier, and then reposted. However, other than that first post, the feedback area currently seems to be empty.

The direct link to the feedback area is http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_feedback_area-1049.html

[Edited at 2011-02-26 08:03 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:58
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Arbitration? Feb 26, 2011

I hadn't heard of this a few days ago when, in answer to a questionnaire about the PRO Network, I suggested reviews of texts for the purpose of arbitration between translators/proofreaders and translators/clients.

I think the PRO Network would be the ideal place for a totally anonymous and impartial assessment of quality. I would see all PRO members in that language pair being notified of the requirement for arbitration, with the text then being assessed by multiple translators (in
... See more
I hadn't heard of this a few days ago when, in answer to a questionnaire about the PRO Network, I suggested reviews of texts for the purpose of arbitration between translators/proofreaders and translators/clients.

I think the PRO Network would be the ideal place for a totally anonymous and impartial assessment of quality. I would see all PRO members in that language pair being notified of the requirement for arbitration, with the text then being assessed by multiple translators (in complete isolation) so that a truly across-the board assessment is achieved.

I don't think this would work if it were open to all paying members, though. Not that all PRO members are better translators, just that membership can be more an indicator of the depth of one's pockets than the quality of one's translations.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
So keep it hidden from the great unwashed with deep pockets? Feb 27, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I think the PRO Network would be the ideal place for a totally anonymous and impartial assessment of quality. I would see all PRO members in that language pair being notified of the requirement for arbitration, with the text then being assessed by multiple translators (in complete isolation) so that a truly across-the board assessment is achieved.

I don't think this would work if it were open to all paying members, though. Not that all PRO members are better translators, just that membership can be more an indicator of the depth of one's pockets than the quality of one's translations.

After this thread ( http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/192589-proposal_that_non_members_not_be_allowed_to_vote_on_kudoz_answers.html ) now locked, in which it's suggested by a relatively new paying member that people who don't pay should not be allowed to vote on Kudoz answers, now it's being suggested that people whose only merit is to have deep enough pockets to be paying members shouldn't be allowed to take part in -or even see!!!) the proofreading/editing forum???

First of all, let's remember that the P forum is a private forum reserved for members of the P club and not accessible/visible to others, not even those who pay the same amount of money for membership.

So, imo, it's time to either put an end to expressing in open forums the notion that P badge people are somehow 'better' than those without a badge, or to block all others from the site altogether. If the great unwashed (paying or not) aren't worthy of taking part, then fine. Say so and let the powers that be invite all of us to hang our heads in shame and go away.

Or have I misunderstood something here?

[Edited at 2011-02-27 14:27 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You've certainly misunderstood what I meant to say, Writeaway Feb 27, 2011

writeaway wrote:
After this thread ( http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/192589-proposal_that_non_members_not_be_allowed_to_vote_on_kudoz_answers.html ) now locked, in which it's suggested by a relatively new paying member that people who don't pay should not be allowed to vote on Kudoz answers, now it's being suggested that people whose only merit is to have deep enough pockets to be paying members shouldn't be allowed to take part in -or even see!!!) the proofreading/editing forum???

Firstly, I entirely agree that there is no justification at all for the KudoZ suggestion (which I missed), for many reasons including (a) many registered users are as able as, if not more able than, many paying members to give help, (b) user names are shown so consistently good/bad answerers can be identified, (c) there is ample opportunity for the value of each and every proposed answer to be challenged by peers.

Secondly, I wasn't talking about the forum Phil suggested and that has been implemented by Jared. The forum that Phil suggested is to give feedback to translators on their own translations; feedback that will be discussed openly in the forum but with some anonymity. Again, there will be ample opportunity for peers to challenge each other and voice different opinions. The asker can then draw his/her own conclusions.

The service I was proposing was one of totally anonymous arbitration. I suppose I shouldn't have mentioned it here at all, but it struck me as being similar.

imo, it's time to either put an end to expressing in open forums the notion that P badge people are somehow 'better' than those without a badge

I'm really sorry you took it that way, Writeaway, as that certainly wasn't what I meant to say, nor is it the way I feel.

It was simply that I saw the value of a system where those who are in conflict (translator vs proofreader or translator vs client) concerning the viability of a text could receive a totally impartial, totally anonymous critique, with no interaction between the various parties involved. In answer to the title of your posting, Writeaway, I would see this feedback as being hidden from everybody - not a forum. Conflicts of this type concern money as well as personal honour and arbitration could only work if both parties have 100% faith in it. If there is a risk that even a small percentage of those evaluating the text are talking out of their backsides, then it won't work. They would skew the findings to some extent, as they do in the competitions. Those are just for fun, whereas here we'd be talking of translators who stand to lose money and clients.

I'm sorry for any offence to you, Writeaway, and to anyone else concerned. I know very well that the majority of registered users and paying members are proficient and professional translators. The problem is that there is a small proportion that are neither.

Anyway, as I said above, this is a different service from the one referred to in Phil's original posting, therefore it's off topic. I don't want to hijack this thread and I hope others won't cause that to happen.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
on delays Feb 27, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

I understand that the delay is intended to help prevent abuse whereby translators try to get free proofreading services, but surely that is what the 500-word limit is for.

The big disadvantage of such a delay is that by the time the text is published, the person who had initiate it may have lost interest in it (or may no longer have time available to continue being "present" while his text is being discussed).

But you must admit, if people have to wait a couple of days/week before they get any feedback, then any suspicion or hint abuse can be pretty much entirely eliminated. And, since paid work and deadlines are, naturally, not involved, you can always come back to your submission a week or two, or a month, or year, after *that*. No time limits, no pressure, everything utterly above board and above reproach. Insisting on immediacy sounds a bit fishy, to be frank.

Not that I'll be able to play in this sandpit anyway, but hey ho.

Guiqin Zhang
Guiqin Zhang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
I vote for it Feb 28, 2011

I think this would come up to all serious translators.

As some main online shopping webs with rating and crediting system for both buyers and sellers, translation industry also should have one like that, if we don't have the academy like oscar.

If everything is not transparent, how can people know the truth beneath the veil and go on their activities.

Maybe Proz.com should consider it as an upgrade of its website functions.

Guiqin Zhang
Guiqin Zhang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
compared with commidities exchange Feb 28, 2011

The translation is different from commodities, but has similarities. Rate+comment combination with a public price could apply. And of course the choice of rating or not is up to people themselves.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about a "rate my translation" forum?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »