Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Please tell me how to get a moderator to squash abusive users!
Thread poster: Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disagree with Cidcampead Apr 1, 2002

QUOTE:

I can´t believe somebody who calls himself a professional can admit being dependent on the KudoZ to such an extent. Don´t you have other resources, Marcus, to do your translations? How can a real translation professional possibly need to post more than, say, 10 or 20 questions in less than an hour? I can understand some exceptions like the one mentioned by Jacek, but considering the way you say it (\"that´s how I prefer to work\"), it seems to me it is a regular practice of y
... See more
QUOTE:

I can´t believe somebody who calls himself a professional can admit being dependent on the KudoZ to such an extent. Don´t you have other resources, Marcus, to do your translations? How can a real translation professional possibly need to post more than, say, 10 or 20 questions in less than an hour? I can understand some exceptions like the one mentioned by Jacek, but considering the way you say it (\"that´s how I prefer to work\"), it seems to me it is a regular practice of yours to go and post 15 questions in a row. Maybe you should get some extra documentation skills, mate...

END OF QUOTE

---------------------------------

Why should you pass judgment on Marcus or anybody, Cid?.

Besides, as I understand it, what Marcus does is post all of his questions at once. Why should that be incorrect? Whatever is unprofessional about that, huh?

Imagine Marcus is doing a 10.000 word translation. He reads the whole document, underlines the terms he needs help with, and posts all the questions at the same time.

C\'mon, Cid, drop it!

Collapse

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:20
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bertha, read all postings before you throw your first stone (at me) Apr 3, 2002

I \"dropped it\" ages ago, I apologised and so did Marcus for his inappropriate comments. You should have read it all before rushing into conclusions.

Your contribution would be far more valuable, Bertha, if you stuck to the real issue here (moderators) instead of concentrating in isolated comments from the translators. I\'m sure you\'ve got something valuable to say rather that punishing this little cog in the wheel I am.

Gossip is doing no good to thi
... See more
I \"dropped it\" ages ago, I apologised and so did Marcus for his inappropriate comments. You should have read it all before rushing into conclusions.

Your contribution would be far more valuable, Bertha, if you stuck to the real issue here (moderators) instead of concentrating in isolated comments from the translators. I\'m sure you\'ve got something valuable to say rather that punishing this little cog in the wheel I am.

Gossip is doing no good to this site, please let\'s behave like adults for once.

Collapse

Petter Björck
Petter Björck
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
There are people who abuse KudoZ Jul 13, 2012

I see this is an old forum, but I think it's once again time to open up the discussion.

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk wrote:

" ... All of us can read behind the questions, I think. I have asked three or four questions on a row. I usually tend to let my colleagues know that I will be bombarding with questions. Some people, however, are abusing the site. On top of the abusers, we find people who are just eager to get points. They answer and answer and that attitude att
... See more
I see this is an old forum, but I think it's once again time to open up the discussion.

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk wrote:

" ... All of us can read behind the questions, I think. I have asked three or four questions on a row. I usually tend to let my colleagues know that I will be bombarding with questions. Some people, however, are abusing the site. On top of the abusers, we find people who are just eager to get points. They answer and answer and that attitude attracts more and more abusive people. It is a chain, a circle: more abusive questions flooding the system equals less speed/system overload for those who do need real help and are pros who just finished an important translation and NEED a term or confirmation for an idea or thought.
I think a 'warning hot line' is needed in order to let others know what is going on and give a 'heads up' to those who are not able to read between the lines. ... "

I have to agree with José.

In some cases, it is clear that there are users who ask (many) questions simply because they do not know how to translate, or do not know the languages well enough. They offer cheap translations, and get professional help for free at ProZ, from people who are eager to get as much Kudoz points as possible. This is, I think, what José means be "read behind the questions".

ProZ is supposed to be about professionalism (hence the name ProZ!), and one of the basic ideas is to maintain a high standard.

I do not know what to do about this problem (as I see it), but I think something should be done. KudoZ should be about helping other professionals in a friendly way, not about getting professional help for free when you are doing a job you should not be doing, nor about getting as many KudoZ points as possible.

One user wrote like this: "I have decided not to renew my membership in ProZ. Too many people are using ProZ to gain knowledge they don't have in order to offer cheap translations in competition with serious professionals."

Best regards,
Petter
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please tell me how to get a moderator to squash abusive users!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »