Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:53
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 10, 2010

I am not sure if this has not been proposed before...

Sometimes topics get locked (or users reprimanded) by veering off the original topic. While I understand the reason for the rule, it is very human to digress and sometimes those exchanges in itself are as valuable (or more ) than the original thread.

Would it be possible to add an option to "branch" a topic? That is, the moderator would create a new top
... See more
I am not sure if this has not been proposed before...

Sometimes topics get locked (or users reprimanded) by veering off the original topic. While I understand the reason for the rule, it is very human to digress and sometimes those exchanges in itself are as valuable (or more ) than the original thread.

Would it be possible to add an option to "branch" a topic? That is, the moderator would create a new topic with a relevant title and move all those posts which belong to the "subtopic" there. In the original topic there would remain the first (or one of the first) topic, which introduced the new idea with the relevant notice and link to the new topic.

The email tracking option (which is now depressingly lonely with just a single check field!) would allow to track either the main thread and the branches or just the main thread (with a possible notice on branching).
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
I don't know... Oct 10, 2010

While I'm not against the idea, my first thoughts when reading your suggestion were that
1) it should be up to people who digress radically from the original topic to start a new thread on their topic (of course they may often need a gentle reminder to do so),
2) some replies to a thread may include references both to the original topic and to the digression - how are you going to split these up?
3) some digressions may not be worth starting a new thread, so we just accept the
... See more
While I'm not against the idea, my first thoughts when reading your suggestion were that
1) it should be up to people who digress radically from the original topic to start a new thread on their topic (of course they may often need a gentle reminder to do so),
2) some replies to a thread may include references both to the original topic and to the digression - how are you going to split these up?
3) some digressions may not be worth starting a new thread, so we just accept them as digressions and move on.
4) (though this isn't really relevant to your idea) I don't think threads are ever locked just because of digressions... all the instances of thread-locking I remember were due to the fact that site staff/ moderators deemed a continuation of the discussion to be counter-productive (for whatever reason/ from whichever perspective! )
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Branching topics

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »