Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:48
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 9, 2010

I notice a facebook "Like" link saying "Be the first of your friends to like this" is now appearing in first posts of forum threads. I see no point in this unannounced change.

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:48
German to Greek
+ ...
Like Sep 9, 2010

The point is that nowadays everything is/has to be connected to everything and the other way round.

With "like" I mean I like Jack's posting; I do not like the "like" and the like...

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2010-09-09 07:06 GMT]

Andrea Brumma
Andrea Brumma
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Group of professionals or crowd of adolescents? Sep 9, 2010

I personally don’t like this Facebook link on a site for serious, professional language service providers, because the wording “Be the first of your friends to like this” is awful and lets me think of a crowd of adolescents.
But well, Facebook is used widely and if it helps to attract new clients…

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Pointless and mildly irritating Sep 9, 2010

I'm with Jack. It seems a trivialisation of the site.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
I am grumpy, of course... Sep 9, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:
I see no point in this unannounced change.

... but neither do I. Anyone over 21 active on F/B should have a word with themselves, IMHO. (Or perhaps I'm just a Billy No-mates who doesn't want to announce the fact - you decide.)

Was this done at the same time and/or by the same talented individual who decided to make it harder to distinguish quotes from original text in postings, I wonder?

(Insert thumbs down icon)

(I'm not saying where to insert it, mind)

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
the feature has been announced Sep 9, 2010

Hello Jack,

this feature was announced at the beginning of July on
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/174545-social_networking_option_added_to_prozcom_forums_and_discussion_features.html

When posting to a ProZ.com forum or other discussion, you now have the option to share your post on your social networks as well. Selecting this option will cause a status update to be posted to the networks you specify, with the title of your ProZ.com forum post and a link back to read it in context.

The first time you use this feature, your social network(s) will ask for your permission. You can also configure this authorization from your social network settings.

If you prefer not to use social networking features at ProZ.com, you can disable social networking in your settings page to hide these new options.

Hope this helps,

ciao

Daniela (not on Facebook )

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Opted out Sep 9, 2010

Thank you, Daniela.
I have opted out in my settings, and it's solved the problem for me personally, but I still think the whole thing is a silly idea.

[Edited at 2010-09-09 08:48 GMT]

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Hear hear, I'm grumpy too... Sep 9, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:
I see no point in this unannounced change.

... but neither do I. Anyone over 21 active on F/B should have a word with themselves, IMHO. (Or perhaps I'm just a Billy No-mates who doesn't want to announce the fact - you decide.)

Was this done at the same time and/or by the same talented individual who decided to make it harder to distinguish quotes from original text in postings, I wonder?

(Insert thumbs down icon)

(I'm not saying where to insert it, mind)

I thought there was something wrong with my computer and edited a post 3 times to try to "fix" the quote thing....I'm from the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school . . . . and getting grumpier by the minute...

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
All is not lost (or is it?) Sep 9, 2010

Daniela Zambrini wrote:
If you prefer not to use social networking features at ProZ.com, you can disable social networking in your settings page to hide these new options.

If you click the click, the posting has another link where you can remove all the cruddy nonsense with one click to update your profile - hurrahs all round.

That said, I happen to think there is a world of difference between LinkedIn and Facebook, and Proz appears to have an all-or-nothing approach to the whole caboodle, so no Facebook = LinkedIn either, but ho-hum, thems the breaks.

Edited for, coincidentally, quoting trouble.

[Edited at 2010-09-09 08:50 GMT]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:18
German to English
********** Sep 9, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I preferred the previous white quote boxes. As Charlie says, quotes are no longer distinguishable from the poster's comments. The previous boxes were also something I found quite neat and original in the ProZ forums - I haven't seen them in any other online forum.

I've never been a very active forum participant and participate even less these days, but I do read a lot of the forum discussions and the previous quote boxes were definitely kinder to the eye.

So, I hope we can revert back..???

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
Bring back old quote design please Sep 9, 2010

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
I am really shocked by the link with Facebook ! Sep 9, 2010

If this will persist, I'll stop writing to the forums.
I regret to say that, but the information I give to my colleagues are mostly of a professional nature and have nothing to do in the public circles.
Translation is a critical occupation with its own rules, which must inspire trust, the main concern of our clients being namely confidentiality.

What would think our clients if they can see our message exchanges on Facebook, beside some drunk stupid young man's pictures
... See more
If this will persist, I'll stop writing to the forums.
I regret to say that, but the information I give to my colleagues are mostly of a professional nature and have nothing to do in the public circles.
Translation is a critical occupation with its own rules, which must inspire trust, the main concern of our clients being namely confidentiality.

What would think our clients if they can see our message exchanges on Facebook, beside some drunk stupid young man's pictures or messages ?
It will give a bad image, not professional, of us and of ProZ.

I am definitely against this application and I don't want that Facebook people have an access to my personal data, what will be easy if a ProZ thread is linked to Facebook, even if
1) I have no Facebook account (I have not)
2) I inactivate the "social networking" setting on ProZ, because if the thread initiator has chosen to link the thread to FB, the answerers data will appear

Let's stay between ourselves.
Catherine (sorry for my bad English, but it is worse when I am angry).

[Edited at 2010-09-09 09:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-09 10:51 GMT]
Collapse

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
OT on quote design Sep 9, 2010

I think the new quote design is a very bad idea. Whoever devised it should read some basics on web usability. Unless they're a secret agent of another translation site that is.

Maciek

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree Sep 9, 2010

Maciek Drobka wrote:

I think the new quote design is a very bad idea. Whoever devised it should read some basics on web usability. Unless they're a secret agent of another translation site that is.

Maciek

I agree with Maciek on this point.

But I think that the FB issue must not be drown in other problems.
Catherine

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Ok Calm down people!!!!! Sep 9, 2010

I say - if you don't like the feature, and abhor Facebook, don't use either!

Personally, I am over 21 and I am active on FB (shock horror), as are many very respectable Proz colleagues, and we happen to have some very serious, entertaining, professional, silly, personal, varied discussions there that are always "off-topic", never removed for being political or religious in nature (note to moderators: I'm not protesting again
... See more
I say - if you don't like the feature, and abhor Facebook, don't use either!

Personally, I am over 21 and I am active on FB (shock horror), as are many very respectable Proz colleagues, and we happen to have some very serious, entertaining, professional, silly, personal, varied discussions there that are always "off-topic", never removed for being political or religious in nature (note to moderators: I'm not protesting against Proz policies here, just saying it's a different place with different rules).

I did notice one or two of my FB friends/Proz colleagues posting a direct link to an interesting Proz discussion on their FB page, which I suppose was done through this "Like" feature, which directed me to interesting discussions I would otherwise not have been aware of.

So please, either be open to the change or ignore it, but don't make us FB fans feel like losers who need to get a life!

[Edited at 2010-09-09 10:26 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Facebook link in initial posts of forum threads

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »