Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Facebook link in initial posts of forum threads
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 15:23
SITE STAFF
If similar features exist for other social networking sites, please let me know Sep 9, 2010

Jeremy Smith wrote:

There's already the "Share this" button at the top of each page. Facebook is included among the sharing options. Why does Facebook get to elbow its way into the body of the forum text? Are they paying Proz for this, or are you giving them lots of free traffic and data out of the goodness of your collective heart?

Hello Jeremy,

There is no payment of any kind involved here. Paid advertising is available at ProZ.com, but not in this form.

As I said above, "The Facebook button, like other social networking features introduced on the site, are merely optional tools to allow members who do use those social networking sites to share translation-related information more easily."

Why the Facebook button and not a similar one for LinkedIn? Because, to my knowledge, LinkedIn does not yet offer a similar feature. If anyone is aware of such a feature, please do let me know and I'll be more than happy to check it out.

Jared

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:23
French to English
+ ...
Have also opted out , but... Sep 23, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

I have opted out in my settings, and it's solved the problem for me personally, but I still think the whole thing is a silly idea.

I can understand that some people may want to share information, but why the silly wording on a professional site such as this? "Be the first of your friends to like this" just sounds ridiculous. As someone has already suggested, this may be suitable for a group of adolescents but certainly not for a professional site. I've noticed that there's a "Share link to this topic" at the top of the page so what is the point of being the first to like a particular topic?

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:23
English to Polish
+ ...
wow Sep 23, 2010

I'm with Nesrin. It's just amazing how much energy people want to devote to whining over a silly Facebook button! Some going as far as taking jabs at those who do use Facebook, which apparently is an adolescent thing to do. Get a life folks. If you really fell like you need to create all the drama around this, you seriously need to consider why.

[Edited at 2010-09-23 09:42 GMT]

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Opted out, and ... Sep 23, 2010

cmwilliams wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

I have opted out in my settings, and it's solved the problem for me personally, but I still think the whole thing is a silly idea.

I can understand that some people may want to share information, but why the silly wording on a professional site such as this? "Be the first of your friends to like this" just sounds ridiculous. As someone has already suggested, this may be suitable for a group of adolescents but certainly not for a professional site. I've noticed that there's a "Share link to this topic" at the top of the page so what is the point of being the first to like a particular topic?

I am with cmwilliams. Such a wording sounds as childishness ("infantilisme" in French). This "the first one to reach the car will win an ice-cream"-style is all but professional.
Turning people into childish beings is very trendy on the Internet these days

Catherine

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Genuinely curious Sep 23, 2010

In reply to Krzysztof's comment, I have nothing against social networking sites per se - it's just that I was surprised to see this 'like'' button appear in the forums. It just seems childish to me. I was going to suggest just having a 'share' button instead but then I saw that an option already exists to 'share link to this topic'. So I'm obviously missing something, but I was just wondering why this "like" button is there. I can perhaps see the point in the few cases where someone is making... See more
In reply to Krzysztof's comment, I have nothing against social networking sites per se - it's just that I was surprised to see this 'like'' button appear in the forums. It just seems childish to me. I was going to suggest just having a 'share' button instead but then I saw that an option already exists to 'share link to this topic'. So I'm obviously missing something, but I was just wondering why this "like" button is there. I can perhaps see the point in the few cases where someone is making a suggestion, but in most cases dealing with problems, clients not paying, scams, etc, I really don't think the wording is appropriate. I'll go back to my sad, pathetic life now.Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
hey Sep 23, 2010

cmwilliams wrote:

In reply to Krzysztof's comment, I have nothing against social networking sites per se - it's just that I was surprised to see this 'like'' button appear in the forums. It just seems childish to me. I was going to suggest just having a 'share' button instead but then I saw that an option already exists to 'share link to this topic'. So I'm obviously missing something, but I was just wondering why this "like" button is there. I can perhaps see the point in the few cases where someone is making a suggestion, but in most cases dealing with problems, clients not paying, scams, etc, I really don't think the wording is appropriate. I'll go back to my sad, pathetic life now.

Who says it was your comments I was referring to?

I also didn't say the like button was a good idea.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
I too am surprised... Sep 23, 2010

cmwilliams wrote:

I was going to suggest just having a 'share' button instead but then I saw that an option already exists to 'share link to this topic'. So I'm obviously missing something, but I was just wondering why this "like" button is there.

I admit that in my defense of the feature above - and not having used it myself - I thought it and the "share" link were one and the same. I too think that "be the first to like" sounds pretty infantile!

[Edited at 2010-09-23 12:04 GMT]

Jon Peck
Jon Peck  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:23
English
Changed to "recommend" Oct 15, 2010

Thank you for your feedback; it's been changed to "Be the first of your friends to recommend this."

Best regards,
Jon Peck

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Facebook link in initial posts of forum threads

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »