Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:27
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Dec 2, 2009

Dear members,

A new feature has been implemented for ProZ.com forums, to help moderators perform their duties and to make some forum actions clearer.

The interface moderators use to moderate and vet in the forums has been improved and made easier to use.

Outwardly, as has been requested by members previously, whenever a post that was visible is made invisible (either temporarily or permanently), it will now be replaced by a "marker" which contains an
... See more
Dear members,

A new feature has been implemented for ProZ.com forums, to help moderators perform their duties and to make some forum actions clearer.

The interface moderators use to moderate and vet in the forums has been improved and made easier to use.

Outwardly, as has been requested by members previously, whenever a post that was visible is made invisible (either temporarily or permanently), it will now be replaced by a "marker" which contains an indication of why the post is no longer visible.

# This is an example of the marker for a post that was hidden by a moderator:

# And this is an example of the marker of a post de-vetted by a moderator:

# This is what will be displayed when a post that required vetting was made invisible because the poster edited it after it had been approved:

# When the first post of a thread is hidden, then the whole thread becomes hidden. In this case the thread will be replaced by a different kind of marker:

When this happens, the thread starter will receive a notification and the other posters in the thread will receive a different one explaining the reasons behind the actions taken.

As always, thanks to all ProZ.com members for making improvements like this possible.

Kind regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Angelica Kjellström
Angelica Kjellström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:27
German to Swedish
+ ...
Great improvement, thank you Dec 2, 2009

Excellent, Enrique! This will make both moderating and vetting easier.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Angelica

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:27
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Great improvement, thanks! Dec 2, 2009

Best regards,

Teresa Borges

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Appears to be an excellent idea. Dec 2, 2009

Thank you. This seems like a good idea. And thank you for letting us know.

Jane

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:27
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sorry, Enrique, can't see your examples Dec 2, 2009

From previous posts in this thread, it seems others can, but for me they just appear like this:

# This is what will be displayed when a post that required vetting was made invisible because the poster edited it after it had been approved:

... See more
From previous posts in this thread, it seems others can, but for me they just appear like this:

# When the first post of a thread is hidden, then the whole thread becomes hidden. In this case the thread will be replaced by a different kind of marker:

I assume each example line should be followed by a link.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:27
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
See a real example above Dec 2, 2009

Hi Jack,

I don't know why you can't see the posted images, but I created a post above and then deleted it to show you a real-life example of how the marker of a hidden post will look.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Laurie Price
Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for this! Dec 2, 2009

I've hated going back into the forums looking for something I am absolutely sure that I saw before and possibly even scanned through and finding that it disappeared -- it made me feel like I'd dreamed it or worse!

This makes more sense.

Andrea Hauer
Andrea Hauer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Excellent improvement - but obviously not activated Jan 28, 2010

In this forum:

http://www.proz.com/forum/german/155375-außen_und_innenwirkung_unseriöser_werbung.html

lots of postings have been deleted for various reasons. But there's no transparency at all!!

[Edited at 2010-01-28 14:32 GMT]

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:27
English to German
+ ...
Automatic or manual? Jan 28, 2010

Are these “markers” published automatically whenever a post required editing, or is that done manually by a moderator?

Thanks for clarifying.
johanna

Andrea Hauer
Andrea Hauer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Update Jan 31, 2010

Just for info:

In the above mentionned forum:
http://www.proz.com/forum/german/155375-außen_und_innenwirkung_unseriöser_werbung.html

this feature has now been activated (in response to a support ticket).

Thanks for that step.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New features for enhanced clarity in forums have been released

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »