When it's gonna stop???

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:56
Flemish to English
+ ...
Not interested Aug 4, 2009

Who is interested in the fact that a person is a moderator or not? Not me.

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly what I mean Aug 4, 2009

Williamson wrote:

Exactly.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
You aren't obliged to read their posts Aug 4, 2009

Williamson wrote:

Well, the moderators have a role that can sometimes be important. See:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=moderators
and nobody is compelling you to read their posts. In my case, I am just a little interested to read the "I'm a new moderator" post of somebody who I already "know" through having seen their postings as ordinary members in KudoZ or the forums.

Oliver

[Edited at 2009-08-04 18:13 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe should have been one forum topic for those using English language? Aug 4, 2009

I've no objection to moderators introducing themselves, but if most of them had done it in the same forum topic, it would not have resulted in everything else being rapidly crowded off the forum topics shown on the home page. I realise this would not have been appropriate for the moderators of foreign-language forums.

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fair enough... Aug 4, 2009

Oliver Walter wrote:
Well, the moderators have a role that can sometimes be important. See:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=moderators
and nobody is compelling you to read their posts. In my case, I am just a little interested to read the "I'm a new moderator" post of somebody who I already "know" through having seen their postings as ordinary members in KudoZ or the forums.

...but I am quite capable of finding out who is a moderator for which forum when I need it without having my homepage flooded with "New Moderator for 2009-2009" posts from top to the bottom for two days. And if the person happens to be moderator for several different forums you get it several times.

[Edited at 2009-08-04 18:25 GMT]

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
True, but you get anyway all notifications Aug 4, 2009

Oliver Walter wrote:

You aren't obliged to read their posts

Hello Oliver,

granted, but if you are tracking a forum, you get all those notifications, at least the first posting (if you are not tracking all posts).

Giuliana

R.S.
R.S.
Local time: 17:56
English to Polish
+ ...
I am interested Aug 4, 2009

If you are not interested, just don't read the introductions. It's that simple !!!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You only notice it because... Aug 4, 2009

Rad Graban wrote:
When it's gonna stop???

You only notice it because you're reading the "Recent posts" list and not the individual forums individually (that is my guess, at least). Users who read only one or two forums would see only one or two introductory posts. And don't forget that when someone replies to such a post, it makes it to the Recent list again. I think it will probably stop after a week or so. It bothers no-one (unless you feel that you need to read all posts).

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More sensible approach Aug 4, 2009

Rotwein wrote:
If you are not interested, just don't read the introductions. It's that simple !!!

Wouldn't be a single post with the list of all new moderators and forums they are responsible for, plus links to their profiles for those 'interested' in checking them out more appropriate and sensible approach?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:56
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I asked this morning to mark those postings off-topic Aug 4, 2009

The main problem is with the Recent Posts list where these intros literally flooded the screen. Some new mods thoughtfully made those intro-threads Off-topic, and those show up in a different color, at least helping to see the other, "normal" threads.

A moderator or staff member can mark a thread "Off-topic" any time (it is literally no more than clicking a box at the top of the thread on the Mod screen), so would somebody (perhaps a staff member) PLEASE go through all of those anno
... See more
The main problem is with the Recent Posts list where these intros literally flooded the screen. Some new mods thoughtfully made those intro-threads Off-topic, and those show up in a different color, at least helping to see the other, "normal" threads.

A moderator or staff member can mark a thread "Off-topic" any time (it is literally no more than clicking a box at the top of the thread on the Mod screen), so would somebody (perhaps a staff member) PLEASE go through all of those announcements that are not marked off-topic and mark them in all forums?

Thanks
Katalin
Collapse

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much, Katalin Aug 4, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

A moderator or staff member can mark a thread "Off-topic" any time (it is literally no more than clicking a box at the top of the thread on the Mod screen), so would somebody (perhaps a staff member) PLEASE go through all of those announcements that are not marked off-topic and mark them in all forums?

Thanks
Katalin

Glad somebody has noticed the same.

[Edited at 2009-08-04 21:45 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
A single notice announcing all chosen applicants would have been enough Aug 4, 2009

It's been slightly amusing reading all the triumphant 'I'm your Mod' announcements by former 'colleagues' who have now 'risen' to Proz.com Mod, knowing that they eagerly responded to the call for applications and that they were all hand-picked by the site staff.
A number of newly created Mods seem to be especially valued and have been assigned multiple forums and language pairs, which has led to multiple "Here I am" postings for each and every pair and/or forum under their control. Lest
... See more
It's been slightly amusing reading all the triumphant 'I'm your Mod' announcements by former 'colleagues' who have now 'risen' to Proz.com Mod, knowing that they eagerly responded to the call for applications and that they were all hand-picked by the site staff.
A number of newly created Mods seem to be especially valued and have been assigned multiple forums and language pairs, which has led to multiple "Here I am" postings for each and every pair and/or forum under their control. Lest we miss the fact that they are now "Moderators". Fair warning.
A single notice, as was customary until recent changes, listing their names and their various assignments would have been more than enough. What a dramatic difference from the more modest and friendly announcements of days of yore.
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
English to German
+ ...
courage Aug 5, 2009

writeaway wrote:

I read those announcements differently. Not so much as a “triumphant” message but as the first public statement in a new position. It takes courage to get out there and be seen, and I’d like to assume that everyone of them thought hard about what to write in their very first message!

So thank you, I appreciated those introductions.

johanna (ex-mod)

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Original thinking & personal touch Aug 5, 2009

Hi Katalin,

I fully agree with you, for the very reasons you mentioned (even in your thread), but those topics are considered on topic.

Fact is that we have a lot of identical twins, no personal introductions, which I'd have valued.

Giuliana

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Moderators' Introduction Posts Influx

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »