Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I don't get it Nov 10, 2010

Where are those 1000 or 850 or whatever posts you guys are talking about?
I can only see two pages of thread titles on the "Most recent posts" page at http://www.proz.com/forum.php
The first page has 50 titles, the second has 31, that is 81 altogether.

I checked with both Firefox and IE, no difference.
Is this a browser-side technical issue?

I don't understand the
... See more
I can only see two pages of thread titles on the "Most recent posts" page at http://www.proz.com/forum.php

I don't understand the algorithm used: is it just the latest X number of posts, or is it all posts for the last Y number of days, or what is it?

Katalin
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:06
English to French
+ ...
no. of posts (vs. threads) Nov 10, 2010

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Hi Katalin,

1,000/850 correspond to the total number of posts (individual messages), not to the number of titles (threads).

I don't understand the algorithm used: is it just the latest X number of posts, or is it all posts for the last Y number of days, or what is it?

I (or we?) don' t understand either. It would be nice if we could get an explanation from staff.

Aude

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:06
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Titles versus postings Nov 10, 2010

Katalin, when talking about titles or threads: your calculation is correct.
Postings: replies to those threads.

According to Matt, the list retrieves 500 of the latest posts. The figures of 1000 and 850 posts show that this criterion doesn't necessarily apply, but then what does? Why is it restricted or why is it not lengthened to make it more user-friendly?

What it comes down to: when a title/thread has a lot of posts, it takes a large percentage of the 5
... See more
Katalin, when talking about titles or threads: your calculation is correct.
Postings: replies to those threads.

According to Matt, the list retrieves 500 of the latest posts. The figures of 1000 and 850 posts show that this criterion doesn't necessarily apply, but then what does? Why is it restricted or why is it not lengthened to make it more user-friendly?

What it comes down to: when a title/thread has a lot of posts, it takes a large percentage of the 500(?), resulting in the reduction of the number of threads.
It means that four or five popular title, with 50-60 posts can drastically reduce the list. It has happened in the past, when the list came to no more than about two third of a single page. On top of it, some of these posts can be several years old. It also reduces the turnover time, and that's the main problem.

The latest posts list is a convenient way to skim through the new threads and posts, but you miss out if the turnover is too fast and you are unable visit the site frequently.
As it is, the turnover is totally unpredictable and it can be less than 24 hours. The aim of this thread is to make the "latest" posts stay on for longer, so we could catch up this way by visiting the site perhaps about 2 or 3 times a week.

If ProZ wants to restrict the length of the number of threads, there are a couple of simple solutions to choose from;
1. Set the length to a certain number of days, as Oliver suggested. It is a good idea, because it would enable us to know for sure that having seen all posts today, it would take X days for the turnover to complete, basically providing a deadline for catching up.
2. Set the number of threads instead of posts, and make the list long enough to hang around for a few days. That was my original idea, but as it still depends on the speed of the ebb and flow of the threads, I would prefer the certainty provided by Oliver's suggestion.

[Edited at 2010-11-10 19:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-11-10 19:12 GMT]
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 08:06
SITE STAFF
Improvements to the recent posts page Nov 10, 2010

Hello all,

I've just spoken with Matt, and improvements to that page are lined up for this week which should show a more extensive list of recent posts on that page. Thanks for the patience.

Regards,

Jared

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Jared, Nov 11, 2010

Thank you very much for your response.

I am sure that the promised improvement will help everybody, not only those who contributed to this thread.

Regards
Judith

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Jared's reply + further thoughts Nov 14, 2010

I didn't see Jared's reply until today (14 Nov). Because I hadn't looked at recent posts until a couple of days after that reply on 10 Nov (& Juvera's on 11 Nov), it was no longer in the list of Recent Posts when I looked today, so I had to hunt to find it!
In other words, Jared's reply was potentially hidden by the very problem in question!

My further thoughts on this issue:
1. The number of "recent forum posts" is at present certainly not enough, for reasons already st
... See more
I didn't see Jared's reply until today (14 Nov). Because I hadn't looked at recent posts until a couple of days after that reply on 10 Nov (& Juvera's on 11 Nov), it was no longer in the list of Recent Posts when I looked today, so I had to hunt to find it!
In other words, Jared's reply was potentially hidden by the very problem in question!

My further thoughts on this issue:
1. The number of "recent forum posts" is at present certainly not enough, for reasons already stated
2. How many should there be? This turns out not to be a well-formulated question because "how many" could refer to:
  • the actual number of postings made
  • the number of topics (threads) in which postings have been made
  • the postings made during the preceding N hours or days
  • all postings in all the topics (threads) to which a posting has been made in the preceding N hours or days.
  • (possibly other definitions?)

I would like Most Recent Posts to give access to all the topics containing all the postings made in the preceding N days, with N at least 3 by default, and user-selectable.
The postings are stored on a server in any case (proof: they can be found by a suitable search in "advanced search"). Therefore I do not think that storage space is an issue in deciding how many. "recent posts" is only a slightly different search. I would be satisfied with leaving "Most Recent Posts" unchanged but with the following condition: the options provided on the "advanced search" page for searching the forums must be modified so that the user can specify the number of days, as I suggested on 1 October ("October 1" in US English). This search must then permit blanks in all the other search fields and perhaps a "collective" forum pseudo-name in the list of forums to enable this type of search to be specified.
(PS: If this is implemented, it must be announced and the Help amended appropriately.)
How about it, Proz people?
Oliver
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I think all we need is a different display view Nov 14, 2010

In my opinion, all threads (across all topics) should be displayed on the Latest Post page, in reverse chronological order of the latest post in them.
In other words, each thread would have its latest timestamp (that is the timestamp of the last posts made in the thread), and the Latest Posts page would simply list all threads based on that time stamp, in reverse order.
This way anybody can go back as far as they want.
It is just a sorted view of all the threads that are alread
... See more
In my opinion, all threads (across all topics) should be displayed on the Latest Post page, in reverse chronological order of the latest post in them.
In other words, each thread would have its latest timestamp (that is the timestamp of the last posts made in the thread), and the Latest Posts page would simply list all threads based on that time stamp, in reverse order.
This way anybody can go back as far as they want.
It is just a sorted view of all the threads that are already stored on the system anyway, so I don't think storage space would come into play.
Collapse

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Nothing happened Dec 8, 2010

on 10th of November, Jared wrote:
I've just spoken with Matt, and improvements to that page are lined up for this week which should show a more extensive list of recent posts on that page. Thanks for the patience.

Now, four weeks later, I have detected no change in the "Most Recent Posts" list.
Some recently observed list lengths (times are GMT):

• 26Nov2010 at 14:14: 94 topics, oldest 24Nov
  • 26Nov2010 at 15:26: 91 topics, oldest 25Nov
  • 29Nov2010 at 23:01: 82 topics, oldest 27Nov
  • 01Dec2010 at 12:17: 84 topics, oldest 29Nov
  • 08Dec2010 at 16:55: 72 topics, oldest 7Dec

Draw your own conclusions from this

Oliver

[Edited at 2010-12-09 11:17 GMT]

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
24 hours later... Dec 10, 2010

Thanks Oliver.
I waited 24 hours after your post, and in the main time this topic disappeared.
So it is not possible to see all posts posted within about 24 hours in one visit.
This is a serious shortcoming, and still no sign of improvement.

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Is "this week" more than 2 months long? Jan 27, 2011

on 10 November 2010 Jared wrote:
improvements to that page are lined up for this week which should show a more extensive list of recent posts on that page.

Still no detectable improvements. The "most recent postings" list is still about 90 topics long and time-limited to the current day and perhaps up to 2 previous days. The "advanced search" in the Forums still cannot be used to obtain the equivalent of a "most recent postings" list for more than those 2 or 3 days. To see my suggestions for how the improvements can be implemented, read the second half of my posting of 14 November in this thread.

Oliver

[Edited at 2011-01-27 23:58 GMT]

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More than two months Jan 29, 2011

And nothing happened.
I started this thread, because I am often away for 2-3 days on interpreting assignments and because of the fast turnover, I usually miss a chunk of the forum postings on the latest posts page.
The only way for me to see what I missed is to visit all the individual forums. It is tedious and time consuming, so I don’t bother.
I am sure there are other people too in a similar situation, at least for time-to-time.
Please extend the time scale general
... See more
And nothing happened.
I started this thread, because I am often away for 2-3 days on interpreting assignments and because of the fast turnover, I usually miss a chunk of the forum postings on the latest posts page.
The only way for me to see what I missed is to visit all the individual forums. It is tedious and time consuming, so I don’t bother.
I am sure there are other people too in a similar situation, at least for time-to-time.
Please extend the time scale generally, or provide more flexibility in extending the time scale individually, as Oliver suggested.
Collapse

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Still no action Aug 5, 2011

Oliver Walter wrote:
on 10th of November, Jared wrote:

Now, four weeks later, I have detected no change in the "Most Recent Posts" list.
Some recently observed list lengths (times are GMT):

• 26Nov2010 at 14:14: 94 topics, oldest 24Nov
  • 26Nov2010 at 15:26: 91 topics, oldest 25Nov
  • 29Nov2010 at 23:01: 82 topics, oldest 27Nov
  • 01Dec2010 at 12:17: 84 topics, oldest 29Nov
  • 08Dec2010 at 16:55: 72 topics, oldest 7Dec

Draw your own conclusions from this

Oliver

Some more lengths since then

• 10Dec2010 at 14:39: 96 topics, oldest 9Dec
  • 19Jan2011 at 23:09: 84 topics, oldest 18Jan
  • 27Jan2011 at 23:15: 95 topics, oldest 26Jan
  • 5Aug2011 at 23:32: 80 topics, oldest 4Jan

Conclusions unchanged: Proz does not want it to be easy for members to find topics in which the most recent postings are more than two days old. One cannot avoid asking oneself: Why?
Oliver

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Brief history Sep 9, 2011

on 17 Jul 2009 Juvera wrote:
I think a lot of people visit the English topics. Would it be preferable to have a longer latest topics list available? What do you think?
on 1 Nov 2010 Juvera wrote:
I have given up following the forum postings.
on 5 Nov 2010 Stéphanie Soudais wrote:
I agree, I also feel frustrated when I reach the end of the second or third page of "recent posts" and cannot go to a fourth page to find the specific thread I am looking for.
on 10 Nov 2010 Jared wrote:
I've just spoken with Matt, and improvements to that page are lined up for this week which should show a more extensive list of recent posts on that page.
on 14 Nov 2010 Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:
on 8 Dec 2010 I wrote:

Today 9 Sep 2011 at 22:23 GMT, the "most recent posts" list contained 96 topics, the oldest of which was from 8 Sep (no more than 2 days old).
Oliver

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not the first time Sep 10, 2011

This is not the first time this topic has been started.

I remember how when I was new to Proz, how informative and useful it was to be able to go back through all the old posts and learn all about the site and about how to get started as a translator.

I wouldn't be able to do that today.

Very sad.

juvera
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More than two years old! Sep 10, 2011

Oliver Walter wrote:
Is "this week" more than 2 months old?
on 10 November 2010 Jared wrote:
improvements to that page are lined up for this week which should show a more extensive list of recent posts on that page.

It was more than 2 years ago when I brought this subject up, and in spite of promises, nothing happened.
I am not the only one, who practically gave up on the forum, I am sure, because I can see that. The people who are most likely to crowd it are the newbies, and the safe old hands slowly disappear.
I only visit it once a couple of months or so if at all. I just cannot spend the time trying to follow it through individual subjects, and I don’t have the chance to do it at least every other day to keep up with it on this very short “latest posts”, so I just don't bother any more.
I get notifications on some old post, that’s how I am reacting today.
Bye-bye.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of topics shown on the "latest posts" list

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »