Suggestions for organization of the forums
Thread poster: Arnaud HERVE
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:07
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Arnaud Jun 8, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:
2) In the column Last Post, clicking on the link brings me to the last poster's profile. Sincerely, I believe the link in Last Post should bring me to Last Post.

It is only after reading the message that, in 1% of cases, I will be interested in visiting the poster's profile. Most often, I will only read the message.

3) Do something about the breadcrumbs. The chain should offer me the link to the root of categories. That's what breadcrumbs are meant for : to find my way back to the start...

Thanks, Arnaud. I like suggestions 2 and 3, we'll do something along those lines.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aha Jun 8, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

That said, I personally do think (and I think I agree with you) that the forums start page, i.e. http://www.proz.com/forum, should rather contain an expanded (or exploded) view of all the categories and subcategories, instead of a list of the most recent posts. Why do I say this? Because I often lose sight of the existence of certain subcategories if I don't see them often. The list of upper-level categories in the left-hand side of the forums page is useful, but it does not display all categories.

I think I finally get the point of the suggestion... I wasn't sure I'd understood it correctly.

I agree that having a "+" sign or something to expand the subcategories might be useful indeed. Personally, though, I'd prefer it to be optional, since having all the subcategories permanently on display with no way to turn it off would make it look too cluttered, IMO.

Andrea

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disagree Jun 8, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

the fact that you have ANY difficulty is in itself a problem.

In a well set forum, you just click on what interests you, you don't look for settings.

Yes, it's annoying that I'm having problems finding it, BUT all of the forums I participate in have a "settings" panel intended for the user to decide HOW they want the different topics displayed.

IMO, that is precisely what makes them "well set forums": the possibility to customize what's on display and how it's displayed according to the user's interests. The clicking away easily on what interests the user comes after he/she has customized it according to his/her preference.

Greetings
Andrea

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for organization of the forums

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »