Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:45
English to French
+ ...
Mar 11, 2009

For those who don't know what is a wiki yet, here is the principle:

- I create a page about Berlin, in which I write just "Berlin is a city", because I don't know much about it, and I don't have time to research

- Someone else comes who knows better, edits the pages and adds "with 3,400,000 inhabitants"

- Other people come and add many things about Berlin

- I come back and see the word "Germany" in the page. I decide that this word will now be
... See more
For those who don't know what is a wiki yet, here is the principle:

- I create a page about Berlin, in which I write just "Berlin is a city", because I don't know much about it, and I don't have time to research

- Someone else comes who knows better, edits the pages and adds "with 3,400,000 inhabitants"

- Other people come and add many things about Berlin

- I come back and see the word "Germany" in the page. I decide that this word will now be a link to a new page about Germany

- And the process goes on...

Now, why am I suggesting a wiki? Because forums are difficult to search. The relevant info that you're looking for is sorted by dates, threads, posters, whereas it should be sorted by themes and keywords only. It is also sometimes duplicated, incomplete, wrong, etc.

A wiki allows you to publish info by themes.

A wiki is generally useful for basic info, which everybody agrees about. In our case, it would tips like "To open this file in Trados, you must click on...". I imagine it would also be useful for administrative info about various countries, like "To register as a translator in France, go to..."

For more opinionated or more expert publications, there are the forums and the articles repository.

I have a hunch that this wiki could be restricted to paying members, because:

1) It would almost cancel the risk of annoying posters

2) The info would be so useful and easy to find that it would become difficult to allow free riders. A bit like a treasure. Or the Blue Board.
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
excellent idea indeed Mar 11, 2009

Like most web2.0 ideas, this prozwiki idea is great!

And since we are not anonymous (as most wiki authors are), members can also be encouraged to participate in this joint effort by giving them credit in the page they helped to create.

Csaba

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
prozwiki Mar 11, 2009

We already have a wiki here http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/Main_Page

For some strange reason, it has not been talked about much on ProZ and there is no link to it from the ProZ main page.

I have already contributed a few articles, as have others, and I sometimes put links to the wiki in my forum contributions.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
ProZwiki Mar 11, 2009

Hi folks. Yes ProZ.com does have a wiki started here - http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/Main_Page

And I have emplored the masses to start articles on topics like Debt Collection in {your country} as a resource for all but we have not had a lot of traction.

There is a current issue with the Wiki and how it was created in order to permit auto log in using proz.com profile that
... See more
Hi folks. Yes ProZ.com does have a wiki started here - http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/Main_Page

And I have emplored the masses to start articles on topics like Debt Collection in {your country} as a resource for all but we have not had a lot of traction.

There is a current issue with the Wiki and how it was created in order to permit auto log in using proz.com profile that is preventing us from launching this on a massive scale. Specifically too many users on the wiki at one time would crash the server.

We at one time had a group of users comitted to the wiki and working on articles and content. As this project has stalled a bit I would welcome the opportunity to work with a group of users to jump start the process again.

I just started another thread - if anyone would like to add their name to the list of users willing to help shephard this project please add your name to the list

Thanks - looking forward to getting this rolling again

Drew
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aw + Suggestions Mar 11, 2009

Wow Lori you're a superior mind. No I had never seen it in the menu but I understand why now.

Some sites use an ldap login, but I suppose it is off-topic here.

Drew, I think you must not make a thread, but a forum category that will include threads. After all it's a site feature like KudoZ.

EDIT: Two suggestions:

1) Since there are still few articles, maybe you can still change the address from proz.com/prozwiki to proz.com/wiki . It would be
... See more
Wow Lori you're a superior mind. No I had never seen it in the menu but I understand why now.

Some sites use an ldap login, but I suppose it is off-topic here.

Drew, I think you must not make a thread, but a forum category that will include threads. After all it's a site feature like KudoZ.

EDIT: Two suggestions:

1) Since there are still few articles, maybe you can still change the address from proz.com/prozwiki to proz.com/wiki . It would be just a bit more elegant. You can keep the name Prozwiki on the HomePage.

2) Some web system don't use the Mediawiki page for commenting, but have a "Comment into forum" feature. The first comment for a page creates a dedicated forum thread.

I think if the address is simpler, and especially if the attached threads category becomes another tab on top of Proz.com forums, then your wiki will become more attractive.

EDIT 2:

As for the HomePage, I think you could:

1) Move the search box to the left column

2) Remove the welcome text, the number of articles box, the featured article box

3) Change the News box into a Last Edited Pages box

4) And for the chapters, remove the number of pages column.

The HomePage would then be clearer and more usable imho. You would thus have two columns (left and center), and only two boxes in the center column.

We don't have to do exactly like Wikipedia.

[Edited at 2009-03-11 23:41 GMT]
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
forum? Mar 12, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

The ProZwiki forum is located here - http://www.proz.com/forum/wiki_knowledgebase-362.html

This link doesn't work for me - where is the forum?

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I did not realize previous forum was private Mar 13, 2009

Sorry gang, I did not realize the previous wiki forum was private. As a private forum it should remain private so I will look to make a new open forum for this project.

In terms of the wiki access and linkage from the home page, the issue is not space or look of the home page its a specific change that was made to the wiki we are using to allow auto log in that would debilitate our server if lots of users logged in at the same time - which would be likely if the wiki was linked fro
... See more
Sorry gang, I did not realize the previous wiki forum was private. As a private forum it should remain private so I will look to make a new open forum for this project.

In terms of the wiki access and linkage from the home page, the issue is not space or look of the home page its a specific change that was made to the wiki we are using to allow auto log in that would debilitate our server if lots of users logged in at the same time - which would be likely if the wiki was linked from anywhere on the home page (making it more visible)

If enough people here are interested in taking up the mantle again I will put the development work needed to open it up to more on a fast track.

Drew

[edited by Drew 3-13-09]
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ldap Mar 13, 2009

There is no hurry imho.

You don't have the possibility to dedicate one machine to an ldap server?

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LDAP_Authentication

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Prozwiki may not be mediawiki Mar 13, 2009

I am not certain if the proz.com wiki is mediawiki - i think its a different wiki product and that may have been part of the issue or it was changed somewhat from its initial incarnation and that is preventing us from opening up more completely.

We will revisit the issues and see what we can do to resolve them or migrate to a mediawiki platform.

Glad to see interest in this project - thanks.

Drew

Arnaud HERVE
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
into forums Mar 24, 2009

Contrarily to Mediawiki, I would like the pages to be discussed into forum threads, just like here for articles.

I think it would help promote your wiki too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What about a wiki for gathering info?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »