Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Why not a chat tool as an alternative to forums?
Thread poster: Arnaud HERVE
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:00
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unmoderated chat: may we openly insult each other? Mar 10, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
I do not see how a realtime chat tool can enable less heated discussions, on the contrary!

Indeed. I was wondering whether it would be alright to openly insult each other in a completely unelegant manner as the chat would not be moderated.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:00
English to French
+ ...
Last post Mar 10, 2009

I've seen so many tomatoes thrown at people here this week that I don't feel like staying here to witness more vegetable throwing contests. So, this is my last post here.

All I want to say is this: we have a forum, we have managed just fine with it, and those who are unhappy with it may just have trouble with abiding by the rules. I suggest that those who feel the hat fits them look to abiding by those rules instead of trying to customize the site to their personal liking at the det
... See more
I've seen so many tomatoes thrown at people here this week that I don't feel like staying here to witness more vegetable throwing contests. So, this is my last post here.

All I want to say is this: we have a forum, we have managed just fine with it, and those who are unhappy with it may just have trouble with abiding by the rules. I suggest that those who feel the hat fits them look to abiding by those rules instead of trying to customize the site to their personal liking at the detriment of other users.

Be good now! I trust you will all be able to refrain from heating up threads and throwing vegetables while I'm gone.
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Mar 10, 2009

Özden Arıkan wrote:

I hope you appreciate the richness of the archives of information the site forums are.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't see anything bad in itself with the chat idea, but I find it impractical.

While I can appreciate the potential benefits of immediacy when having specific problems, I think it would be a pity to lose valuable advise, suggestions, etc, because of the chat system. I for one have solved lots of problems by conducting a simple forum search and navigating through the results, and I'm certain lots of colleagues can say the same.

On the other hand -and I can speak for only myself here-, if I had trouble that I couldn't fix on my own nor find a solution to in forums, I would ask my friends through MSN or skype, not here. I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable opening a chat window with someone who is pretty much a stranger just to say 'hi, can you help me with this?' (furthermore, how will I know who has the expertise to help?).

Still, like I said I don't see anything fundamentally bad or harmful in the suggestion so I wouldn't object to it being implemented as long as we can opt out of it and specially if and only if people's choice to participate on a forum rather than on the chat -or vice versa- is respected (meaning, no moving a forum thread to a chat). I think we are all capable of figuring out whether we want our participation to be informal and/or transient, or if we want it to remain and take a more serious approach to it.

Greetings
Andrea

[Edited at 2009-03-10 17:37 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:00
SITE STAFF
Locking thread Mar 10, 2009

Hi all,

I do not like having to do so twice in the same day, but I will lock this thread as well-- seven posts have had to be removed so far. I'd like to remind everyone involved to remain on topic and keep things as professional and respectful as possible. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why not a chat tool as an alternative to forums?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »