Thread poster: Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:19
English to French
+ ...
Mar 5, 2009

Hi, I will try to be short here, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

This is a proposal for an additional method of moderation of threads that get "heated", or become aggressive if you wish.

I think that, supposing the exact same post, in case of an argument between persons, waiting for the next day to post it constitutes in itself a soothing down of the conversation. Reversely, remaining stuck on one's computer, waiting nervously for the answer and replying immediately
... See more
Hi, I will try to be short here, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

This is a proposal for an additional method of moderation of threads that get "heated", or become aggressive if you wish.

I think that, supposing the exact same post, in case of an argument between persons, waiting for the next day to post it constitutes in itself a soothing down of the conversation. Reversely, remaining stuck on one's computer, waiting nervously for the answer and replying immediately, constitutes in itself a "boiler pressure" effect.

In short, not taking into account the content, the rythm of posting alone can improve things. I also think it is a good idea to have moderate moderations stages, before resorting to locking a thread if necessary.

This moderation rhythm could apply to threads and not persons, to make everybody even, and give a sense of fairness. That is, precisely, for all posters in the thread, one person would allowed to post only once a day.

What do you think?
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:19
SITE FOUNDER
I like it. Mar 5, 2009

I get it. Good suggestion. I don't imagine it being used frequently, but I agree that having the option to put a heated topic into such a "one post per day" mode, rather that having to lock it, could be good. Limiting the length of posts in such a mode might also make sense.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I believe in freedom and responsibility Mar 5, 2009

And therefore, I think anybody should be allowed to post whatever he/she likes, with a sense of responsibility and with the possibility of being temporarily banned from the site upon a subsequent moderator review if things get really bad.

To me, moderators should be only called to look into a topic if somebody feels insulted or damaged in any way or if someone feels that there is a clear breach of the site rules.

I think we are all grown-ups and should be able to repres
... See more
And therefore, I think anybody should be allowed to post whatever he/she likes, with a sense of responsibility and with the possibility of being temporarily banned from the site upon a subsequent moderator review if things get really bad.

To me, moderators should be only called to look into a topic if somebody feels insulted or damaged in any way or if someone feels that there is a clear breach of the site rules.

I think we are all grown-ups and should be able to represent and defend anything we say in a forum. Maybe we regret it afterwards when things cool down, but in that case we are also grown ups to apologise, and in any case such a situation will teach us that we should take a deep breath before posting.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would not like to see it enforced, but... Mar 5, 2009

Henry D wrote:
Limiting the length of posts might also make sense.

I would prefer that people tried to summarise their thoughts a bit instead of enforcing a length limit per post reply. But limiting the size of replies would work to my benefit as I would then be able to read all opinions!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Against Mar 5, 2009

Arnaud, I can see where you're coming from, and the concept might even bring some relief in certain situations.

Having said that, I believe discussions amongst professionals should not be artificially impeded. In this context, I agree with Tomás: responsibility is the key aspect here.

Best regards,
Ralf

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Against Mar 5, 2009

I agree with with Ralf and Tomás.

Moreover:
- What would be the limit between "heated/non heated topic"?
- Oblige someone to wait 24 hours before answering goes against the freedom of expression

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Séphanie - Slowed down Mar 5, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:
- What would be the limit between "heated/non heated topic"?
- Oblige someone to wait 24 hours before answering goes against the freedom of expression

Now you did it. It's more than enough now: You will be slowed down for complaining Stéphanie!

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Tomás and Ralf are absolutely right! Mar 5, 2009

Not only as professionals but also as human beings in general we should be able to show the same respect to other people's opinions that we expect from others. As far as insults are concerned, for that there are the site rules, aren't they?

Furthermore, an agitated (but respectful) discussion can also produce interesting new views and ideas and thus can bring further thinking about topics along with it.

Behave as responsible grown-ups - otherwise we should return to kin
... See more
Not only as professionals but also as human beings in general we should be able to show the same respect to other people's opinions that we expect from others. As far as insults are concerned, for that there are the site rules, aren't they?

Furthermore, an agitated (but respectful) discussion can also produce interesting new views and ideas and thus can bring further thinking about topics along with it.

Behave as responsible grown-ups - otherwise we should return to kindergarten.

Annett

[Edited at 2009-03-05 18:01 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disagree as well Mar 5, 2009

Ralf & Tomás have stated my own reasons well enough.

Greetings
Andrea

*Edited because, for some odd reason, I "agringué" Tomás's name at first

[Edited at 2009-03-05 18:14 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just you dare.... Mar 5, 2009

ariffo wrote:

Just you dare do that again Andrea!!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Space cadet? Mar 5, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

ariffo wrote:

And I just noticed I'd done the same with Ralf's name!!

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Against! That is nonsense. Mar 5, 2009

I fully agree with Tomás, Ralf, Stéphanie and the Smiths and Millers to follow!

What happens in the forums happens in real life! What's the trouble?
If need be, there are moderators to intervene.

As we have recently learned a moderator's role has changed:
Every moderator (acting as a referee) is equipped with a yellow and a red card (same as in soccer). When a member commits a minor foul, he/she gets the yellow card, when the member commits a serious foul,
... See more
I fully agree with Tomás, Ralf, Stéphanie and the Smiths and Millers to follow!

What happens in the forums happens in real life! What's the trouble?
If need be, there are moderators to intervene.

As we have recently learned a moderator's role has changed:
Every moderator (acting as a referee) is equipped with a yellow and a red card (same as in soccer). When a member commits a minor foul, he/she gets the yellow card, when the member commits a serious foul, he/she gets the red card and is excluded from the thread. A red card can be given even if no yellow card has been previously given.

Please wait 24 hours before you answer.

[Edited at 2009-03-05 18:34 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So you did it! Mar 5, 2009

ariffo wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

And I just noticed I'd done the same with Ralf's name!!

So you did it! RED CARD and a cold shower to cool down a bit!

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 22:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Against Mar 5, 2009

Tomás, Ralf and Stéphanie couldn't have explained it better. We must be responsible for our actions and comments.
Best regards,
Fernando

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 22:19
SITE STAFF
Yellow cards and red cards Mar 5, 2009

Sorry, Aniello, but to clarify:

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Every moderator (acting as a referee) is equipped with a yellow and a red card (same as in soccer). When a member commits a minor foul, he/she gets the yellow card, when the member commits a serious foul, he/she gets the red card and is excluded from the thread. A red card can be given even if no yellow card has been previously given.

Moderators (as part of this and the previous role) are given tools to

...help to ensure a positive working environment at ProZ.com by encouraging collaboration and participation, especially among new members, answering questions, and otherwise helping members to get the most out of ProZ.com. Moderators also field complaints and intervene when necessary to ensure that site rules are followed.

The yellow and red card system, which does actually exist, is managed exclusively by staff (see the "Enforcement" section of http://www.proz.com/rules ).

I understand that your post may have been made somewhat jokingly, but I'd like to make sure that point is clear, to avoid confusion for those who may not be familiar with it.

Best regards,

Jared

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposal for slowing down heated threads

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »