Where should I ask questions on English terms/expressions?
Thread poster: lbone
lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:00
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 5, 2009

I see many non-English forums. But I haven't found a forum called 'English' or 'English Language' forum.

For example, now I would like to ask the question:

Any differences between 'customer relations' and 'customer relationships'?

Any suggestion on where should I ask this question?

KudoZ only? But I know KudoZ has a rule saying something like one should only ask about one term in one question.... See more
I see many non-English forums. But I haven't found a forum called 'English' or 'English Language' forum.

For example, now I would like to ask the question:

Any differences between 'customer relations' and 'customer relationships'?

Any suggestion on where should I ask this question?

KudoZ only? But I know KudoZ has a rule saying something like one should only ask about one term in one question.

[Edited at 2009-01-05 14:40 GMT]
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:00
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
KudoZ Jan 5, 2009

Hi lbone,

Yes, I strongly believe that KudoZ is perfectly appropriate to ask this type of question, selecting English-English as the language pair (aka "English monolingual"). The "one term per question" rule would not (strictly) apply here since you would explicitly be asking for the difference in meaning/scope between these two terms.

Best regards,
Steffen

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 5, 2009

Thank you Steffen!

So I know this question is not against KudoZ rules.

But my experience tells me if there is an English forum, such topics can be discussed more thoroughly.

I asked a similar question in the "Translation Theory and Practice" forum yesterday:... See more
Thank you Steffen!

So I know this question is not against KudoZ rules.

But my experience tells me if there is an English forum, such topics can be discussed more thoroughly.

I asked a similar question in the "Translation Theory and Practice" forum yesterday:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/124147-is_the_use_of_texts_versus_text_acceptable.html#1024549

KudoZ is affected by its point-system background and some people may rush in, while some others may be reluctant to answer questions if they find their answers have little chance to be accepted. I don't expect I can get so many and so thorough answers and discussions in KudoZ as in the above one. You can edit your answers in the forum and the number of characters is unlimited, but in KudoZ, you can’t edit and in many cases, you can only enter at most hundreds of characters.

We Chinese translators sometimes discuss Chinese-related language questions in the Chinese forum. From time to time there are hot discussions on hot topics with several or even dozens of pages of answers. It's really a good complement where KudoZ does not work very well. English is maybe the most important language for the translator community. I guess there can be enough translators happy to see an English forum.

[Edited at 2009-01-05 15:48 GMT]
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:00
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
KudoZ (2) Jan 5, 2009

Hi again,

I see your point but would still argue in favour of KudoZ. If you do not wish to experience a "rushing-in" for points, you may as well select the "not for points" option in the asking form. In spite of your argument, I consider the Translation Theory and Practice forum not the right place to post such questions. (You should have asked the "texts" question in KudoZ, too.)

Steffen

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 5, 2009

I really know the question about 'texts' shouldn't be asked there. That's why I am here.

Thank you for the new suggestion about the "not for points" option. I cannot easily access KudoZ these days, because it was blocked by our weird national firewall. I can use proxy, but the access would be rather slow.

Chris Lovelace
Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:00
Russian to English
+ ...
Customer relations/Customer relationships Jan 5, 2009

In practice, "Customer Relations" refers to the relationship between the customer and the COMPANY, and is therefore broad and impersonal, while "Customer Relationships" are those relational bonds formed between customers and INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE within the company. So, a big corporation might have an entire division dedicated to "Customer Relations," which might inlcude even legal aspects of what the company does for its clients. But within that corporation, "customer relationships" only really t... See more
In practice, "Customer Relations" refers to the relationship between the customer and the COMPANY, and is therefore broad and impersonal, while "Customer Relationships" are those relational bonds formed between customers and INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE within the company. So, a big corporation might have an entire division dedicated to "Customer Relations," which might inlcude even legal aspects of what the company does for its clients. But within that corporation, "customer relationships" only really take place at the level of, say, "Bob the Technician" as he works to resolve a disruption of service with "Robert the User."

This is basically my gut reaction to how I would distinguish these terms as a native speaker of English. Another Anglophone may interpret them differently.
Collapse

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 6, 2009

Hi Chris,

I haven't expected to ask this question in this forum. I mentioned it only to demonstrate a reason looking for a proper place to ask such questions. However, your answer is really helpful. Thank you very much.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:00
English to Arabic
+ ...
Linguistics forum Jan 6, 2009

Hi lbone,

You may also consider the Linguistics forum for discussions of general linguistic issues that go beyond Kudoz term queries http://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics-50.html
Those issues may be about the English language or any other language.

Non-English forums are there to discuss, in the respective language, all sorts of issues of concern to translator
... See more
Hi lbone,

You may also consider the Linguistics forum for discussions of general linguistic issues that go beyond Kudoz term queries http://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics-50.html
Those issues may be about the English language or any other language.

Non-English forums are there to discuss, in the respective language, all sorts of issues of concern to translators from/into that language. That is why there is no "English" forum as such, as English is already the working language in all the other classified forums.
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 02:00
English to Russian
+ ...
My feelings exactly! Jan 10, 2009

lbone wrote:
KudoZ is affected by its point-system background and some people may rush in, while some others may be reluctant to answer questions if they find their answers have little chance to be accepted. I don't expect I can get so many and so thorough answers and discussions in KudoZ as in the above one. You can edit your answers in the forum and the number of characters is unlimited, but in KudoZ, you can’t edit and in many cases, you can only enter at most hundreds of characters.

lbone: just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one who thinks this way!

As to "not-for-points" questions as a solutions, it is not without problems of its own. I have a strong suspicion that some people ignore such questions altogether, and I cannot blame them. After all, getting KudoZ points is enhancing your professional image, and increases your chances of being selected by a potential clients.

I think "linguistics" forum is a solution here.

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 11, 2009

Thank you Nesrin and Alexandra for the suggestion of "Linguistics"!

Now we have a good alternative.

[Edited at 2009-01-11 14:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where should I ask questions on English terms/expressions?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »