Purchasing a website
Thread poster: yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 1, 2003

Who can recommend a place to go to purchase a domain and start one's very own website.

Carla Zwanenberg
Carla Zwanenberg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:10
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
ProZ.com Jul 1, 2003

would be one of the possibilities. ProZ hosts one of my sites and the service is really reliable. Should you not have found this feature yet, it's in the menu My ProZ.com.

Best regards,
Carla

Guy Bray
Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:10
French to English
Two suggestions Jul 1, 2003

Register.com and networksolutions.com were recently recommended to me.

Sherey Gould
Sherey Gould  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:10
German to English
hostsave.com Jul 1, 2003

I'm pretty happy with www.hostsave.com
Sherey

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:10
Italian to English
+ ...
One to avoid Jul 1, 2003

I know I shouldn't make slanderous accusations in the forums, so I won't mention the company's name here, but I have had no end of difficulties recently with a particular hosting company in the UK. A few months ago thousands of UK business/association websites (including mine) hosted by the company were hijacked and passwords stolen. It was weeks before I could use my page or e-mail (not great when you rely so much on e-mail as I do), and despite numerous attempts to get help, my page still isn'... See more
I know I shouldn't make slanderous accusations in the forums, so I won't mention the company's name here, but I have had no end of difficulties recently with a particular hosting company in the UK. A few months ago thousands of UK business/association websites (including mine) hosted by the company were hijacked and passwords stolen. It was weeks before I could use my page or e-mail (not great when you rely so much on e-mail as I do), and despite numerous attempts to get help, my page still isn't working after a month and a half.

So - bear in mind that you get what you pay for. Research hosting packages well and look for info about online/telephone/postal address help before committing.

I'd advise looking at what Proz hosting has to offer - low hosting fees and (almost) instant online advice, which my hosting company just doesn't have.

If you need any more info feel free to get in touch.
Amy

[Edited at 2003-07-02 00:01]
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Delighted with splicehost.com Jul 2, 2003

I am extremely happy with splicehost.com. They have a great special: domain name registration, 75 MB disk space for $30/year. Their control panel (where you set up new email addresses, move files around, etc) is a plus. They have "human" support that always responds to my questions quickly.

You will have to learn how to make your own web pages; Netscape Composer is a good place to start.

Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Geocities Jul 2, 2003

ProZ would certainly be a good option, however, before I discovered ProZ, I did my site through http://us.geocities.yahoo.com/
Very user friendly for the first time user, easy file upload and cost effective.
HTH

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:10
English to Swedish
+ ...
Ultimate Website Host Jul 2, 2003

I use Ultimate Website Host (http://www.ultimatewebsitehost.com/prices.html), and they have been wonderful! Customer service 8am-8pm PST, and I have *never* gotten a recorded message or answering machine. I don't know how their prices compare, but I pay $16/month for 50 MB.. No problems with downtime, either.

Good luck!

Nina

[Edited at 2003-07-02 16:23]

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Anti Spam And Antivirus for your incoming email... Jul 2, 2003

should be included in the price.

I use www.datakultur.se (unfortuntely not in English-a task for the right translator!)

Their service cost me around 50 USD a year (not counting the fee for using .com .net etc, which is $28 per year)

All spam are market ***SPAM, and viruses are blocked before they enter my inbox

30 MB+• FTP / SFTP / SCP-access
• SSH-a
... See more
should be included in the price.

I use www.datakultur.se (unfortuntely not in English-a task for the right translator!)

Their service cost me around 50 USD a year (not counting the fee for using .com .net etc, which is $28 per year)

All spam are market ***SPAM, and viruses are blocked before they enter my inbox

30 MB+• FTP / SFTP / SCP-access
• SSH-access
• PHP
• CGI
• SSI
• WAP
etc.

The change from a Norwegian provider to Swedish Datakultur has been a smart move:)
Collapse

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
34sp.com Jul 5, 2003

I recommend www.34sp.com. I have the smallest package: £15 (about $20) PER YEAR (!) for 30 Mb web space.

Don't use Geocities or any other free ones, unless you don't mind intrusive adverts being put on your page.

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
cheaper registrars Jul 18, 2003

Register.com and networksolutions.com are probably the most expensive registrars out there, charing way more than most other.

I registered all my domains at stargate.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Purchasing a website

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »