Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Does publicizing a freeware tool break site rules?
Thread poster: Michael Farrell
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your question and my answer Oct 10, 2008

Michael Farrell wrote:
Well, my initial question was: does publicizing a freeware tool break site rules?
And your answer boils down to: yes, it should.

Your initial question was "If so, don't you think the rule ought to be changed to allow the existence of freeware tools to be publicized?". It is possible that I misinterpreted your question. I thought you meant "to inform people of the existence of the tool", but if you really meant "to promote the existence of the tool", then I guess that would colour what I had said in this thread, wouldn't it?

I must admit that I had not thought through how I was going to do this in languages I can't understand. My solution, after you raised the point, was to have volunteers post on my behalf, but I am now going to have to think of something else.

When you posted that plan to use volunteers to post on your behalf, I was going to comment on it, but I deleted my comment because it went along the lines "doing dishonest things through honest means" and all that, and I didn't want yet another of my posts removed by a moderator.

Because that's what I think of the idea. It's compliance with the letter of the rules while sidestepping the spirit. Look at it like this: the rules say "you can only post if you can discuss", so your plan is to rig a system where people discuss on your behalf. Essentially, it is a sophisticated form of sockpuppetry.

==

Now, having said all that, I still think you can get away with it despite what the moderators have said here, if you do it smartly. One way to do it smartly would be to put a notice on your web site encouraging users to mention the tool on forums and to initiate discussions about it. Because then you're not asking specific people to do something specific -- you're simply doing what all developers do, namely ask users to contribute to the product in a non-monetary way. The main thing is that you should not be seen to (or more bluntly: you should not) orchestrate that which would normally be informal, uncoordinated viral marketing.

==

Having said all this, I still think my notice board idea is a great idea and should be followed up.

[Edited at 2008-10-10 14:28]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does publicizing a freeware tool break site rules?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »