Why are the ProZ.com Discussion Forums SOOOO slow? (staff: \'They are not\')
Thread poster: Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:37
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 23, 2003

I would call them \"snail forums\" as posting here is quite similar to sending your message by snail mail: it takes at least several HOURS and sometimes even DAYS!!!. In all forums on other websites it takes you just SECONDS to see your message posted.

Thus on 21 April I sent a message headed \"Have you ever tried to get your payments via Moneybookers?\"
... See more
I would call them \"snail forums\" as posting here is quite similar to sending your message by snail mail: it takes at least several HOURS and sometimes even DAYS!!!. In all forums on other websites it takes you just SECONDS to see your message posted.

Thus on 21 April I sent a message headed \"Have you ever tried to get your payments via Moneybookers?\" to the Money Matters forum. It appeared there only today (23 April)! Or maybe yesterday, I\'m not sure. What I\'m sure is that it never appeared on the ProZ home page forums list. And what does it mean? It means that almost NOBODY could see it as it came straight to the forums archives, which not too many people actually visit.

It\'s a great pity as:

1) Why shall I waste my time for writing something which in the end will be seen by almost nobody?

2) I believe the topic I\'m speaking about in that message is quite important for translators especially those living on the Eastern side of the former iron curtain: many of us here encounter with great problems in getting our hard earned payments from Western countries as PayPal isn\'t available in our areas. Moneybookers is a new UK-based web-service for transferring payments via e-mail to and from any country in the world (as they claim) which may be a great way out of the situation. At the same time it may be quite risky. That\'s why it\'s worth discussing. Don\'t you think so?

And I would like to know whether I\'m the only one here experiencing such a slow forum service or there\'re others with similar problems? What is the reason? Is it Big Brother who reads our messages for so long before posting them? Can anything be done to improve?

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

[ This Message was edited by: Nikita Kobrin on 2003-04-24 10:56]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:37
SITE FOUNDER
Time it, Nikita! Apr 23, 2003

Nikita, Nikita, as usual, you overstate.

Postings almost never take more than 8 hours to be posted. Don\'t believe me? Just time it! (Platinum members\' postings are instantaneous.)

As for your posting, it did not appear on the home page because money matters issues never appear on the home page.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:37
English to German
+ ...
Just a few comments Apr 23, 2003

Hi Nikita,

I can comment on this as the moderator of the \"Money Matters\" forum - in fact, I saw your posting when it appeared (overnight between 21 and 22 April, if I recall correctly - it was definitely up there yesterday).

Quote:

It means that almost NOBODY could see it as it came straight to the forums archives, which not too many people actually visit.

Don\'t forget that... See more
Hi Nikita,

I can comment on this as the moderator of the \"Money Matters\" forum - in fact, I saw your posting when it appeared (overnight between 21 and 22 April, if I recall correctly - it was definitely up there yesterday).

Quote:

It means that almost NOBODY could see it as it came straight to the forums archives, which not too many people actually visit.

Don\'t forget that many Platinum members (including myself) use the forum tracking functions - IOW they get a notification email as soon as your posting appears.

If you use the forum search function, you will see that Moneybookers were covered in a number of threads posted on 12FEB2003 and 11MAR2003 (just one cross-reference in there, but maybe the member posting it might be able to give you some feedback directly).

A thread posted on 19MAR2003 did not receive any responses either (note that this one was posted by a Platinum member, and thus appeared instantaneously) - maybe the lack of response is simply a reflection of a general lack of experience with that service?

Best regards, Ralf ▲ Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
This topic was widely discussed in other forums Apr 23, 2003

Nikita, if you would use the search option, you would find a dozen of threads on Moneybookers (two of them in the Russian forum, BTW):

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=55143#55143

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=35839#35839

... See more
Nikita, if you would use the search option, you would find a dozen of threads on Moneybookers (two of them in the Russian forum, BTW):

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=55143#55143

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=35839#35839

Other threads:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=62951#62951

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=53258#53258

There are lots more, just fill in the search box (bottom left side) and click enter
Collapse

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Snail forums unless you are a Platinum member Apr 24, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-23 20:03, Henry wrote:

Postings almost never take more than 8 hours to be posted.

Whilst I accept that there may well be valid reasons for checking posts made by non-Platinum members, I fail to understand why it should take up to EIGHT HOURS for a posting to appear on a forum.

Perhaps somebody could explain why this should be so, because I agree with N
... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-23 20:03, Henry wrote:

Postings almost never take more than 8 hours to be posted.

Whilst I accept that there may well be valid reasons for checking posts made by non-Platinum members, I fail to understand why it should take up to EIGHT HOURS for a posting to appear on a forum.

Perhaps somebody could explain why this should be so, because I agree with Nikita\'s comments about \"snail forums\". It is a dinstict disincentive for non-Platinum members, like myself, to take the time to join in the forums, since by the time your posting appears, the discussion could well have moved on past the comment that you may be making.

I would be grateful for a response that does not include something like \"postings from Platinum members appear instantly\". I am fully aware of that, but am curious as to why it should take so long for other postings to appear.

I look forward to your response with interest.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moneybookers "refer a friend" program Apr 24, 2003

Please note my comment in Nikita\'s original thread.

Nikita Kobrin
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I take my words back but ... Apr 24, 2003

Henry: \"Nikita, Nikita, as usual, you overstate.\"

I should keep my style, you know OK Henry, let\'s consider the \"snail forums\" as a hyperbole - a figure of speech that is used to create a strong impression and is not meant to be taken literally.

Henry: \"Postings almost never take more than 8 hours to be posted. Don\'t believe me? Just time it! (Platinum members\' postings are instantaneous.)\"
... See more
Henry: \"Nikita, Nikita, as usual, you overstate.\"

I should keep my style, you know OK Henry, let\'s consider the \"snail forums\" as a hyperbole - a figure of speech that is used to create a strong impression and is not meant to be taken literally.

Henry: \"Postings almost never take more than 8 hours to be posted. Don\'t believe me? Just time it! (Platinum members\' postings are instantaneous.)\"

Do you mean that 8 hours is something acceptable? I don\'t think so. Let platinum members\' postings be instantaneous but other types of postings should appear not later than in 2 hours. I can\'t push you, it\'s just my opinion.

Henry: \"As for your posting, it did not appear on the home page because money matters issues never appear on the home page.\"

Really? I didn\'t know it. Then I take my words back. But why is Ralf\'s forum is so discriminated? I think money matters issues are quite important, aren\'t they?

And thank you folks, for the interesting links. I haven\'t seen some of them and found useful information there.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:37
English to French
And an interesting one at that... Apr 24, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-24 09:20, Lemster wrote:

Lol. That explains it, as far as I am concerned.

I use moneybookers since about 8 month, and I knew about the referal pgm, but I didn\'t imagine someone would have the cheek of entering... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-24 09:20, Lemster wrote:

Lol. That explains it, as far as I am concerned.

I use moneybookers since about 8 month, and I knew about the referal pgm, but I didn\'t imagine someone would have the cheek of entering a referal link on a forum. ▲ Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:37
SITE FOUNDER
We'll bring it down to two hours Apr 24, 2003

OK, point taken, Nikita and Paul. We\'ll target two hours as the average period of time for a posting to get vetted. It may take a few weeks to get there, as some functionality will have to be added to allow more people to vet, and some policies will need to be put in place for them to reference.

Nikita Kobrin
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Henry! Apr 24, 2003

I\'m sure this change will have a positive effect to the site in general and to our forums communication in particular.

NK

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you from me too, Henry Apr 26, 2003

I echo Nikita\'s words of thanks. I would have posted this earlier, but I have been away for 2 days and without access to my e-mail during that time.

I am very pleased that you have taken our comments on board and look forward to this valuable improvement being implemented in the near future. Thanks again for your consideration, understanding and swift action.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are the ProZ.com Discussion Forums SOOOO slow? (staff: \'They are not\')

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »