Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 22, 2008

This is just a small observation I've made.. When I post a reply to a forum discussion, and my reply happens to appear as the first posting on the 2nd or 3rd etc pages, the only heading I can see is the general heading of the discussion.The title that I have chosen for my posting doesn't appear. That can be a bit frustrating cause the title is sometimes an integral part of the message. Can that be fixed somehow?

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, that is spooky! Mar 22, 2008

Cause I just had a look at other discussions, and found that the titles always DO appear on top of the pages! Then I went back to my own posting which I was referring to, and there was the title!!! I could swear that this wasn't the first time I couldn't see those titles!
Anyway, forget about my first posting, maybe I was just hallucinating...

[Edited at 2008-03-22 07:41]

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:34
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
You are not... Mar 22, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

You are not hallucinating. Unless we are hallucinating together.

Indeed, they go on and off, in no visible order. I have noticed it long time ago.
Thank you for bringing it up!

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
No hallucination Mar 22, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

[Edited at 2008-03-22 07:41]

I've noticed it too. I think it's when you click 'Post reply' that you don't see the title when your posting appears to you. You see it on subsequent visits.

So let's test it!

Hrrm! Test failed and the title appeared. But I have noticed it in the past.

Chris

[Edited at 2008-03-22 13:16]

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it's just after you've clicked "post reply" Mar 22, 2008

I think you're right Textclick, but it has to be the first posting on a new page, so that's a bit hard to test.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 13:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
You're right. Mar 22, 2008

I've noticed it often. Sometimes when I'm tracking a thread I have to go back to the email to see what the person's title was; it is occasionally the kernel of their comment!

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:34
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I have noticed the same thing in recent times Mar 22, 2008

Can't say how long it has been happening .... somewhere between a month and two months, I think.

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Longer than that. Mar 22, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Can't say how long it has been happening .... somewhere between a month and two months, I think.

Oh, I've been noticing it for longer than that! Just never did anything about it. Good for Nesrin!

Actually, of course, I'm trying to extend this thread to a second page so we can all check it out. So, readers, write something, please!

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Something Mar 22, 2008

JaneTranslates wrote:

Actually, of course, I'm trying to extend this thread to a second page so we can all check it out. So, readers, write something, please!

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:34
Japanese to English
Thanks for bringing this up, Nesrin. Mar 23, 2008

JaneTranslates wrote:

I'm trying to extend this thread to a second page so we can all check it out. So, readers, write something, please!

I usually notice it when I've been tracking a forum and receive an email notification, which (correctly) states the title of the person's post, followed by the first however-many lines of the body of said post.
When I click on the link provided to read the rest of the post, the title is definitely missing if, as Nesrin says, it happens to be the post at the top of the 2nd or subsequent pages.

I'm sure it was just a bug - perhaps it was fixed in the meantime thanks to a support request(?) Perhaps it was even fixed just at the moment that Nesrin was starting this thread? Uncanny coincidence?

And just to take up an extra line or two, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Easter (for those that celebrate it) or just a lovely weekend (for everyone!)

Kathy, in balmy Sydney on Easter Sunday afternoon

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Write more? Mar 23, 2008

JaneTranslates wrote

I'm trying to extend this thread to a second page so we can all check it out. So, readers, write something, please!

Okidoki...

An interesting fact:

Easter eggs are messages, graphics, sound effects, or an unusual change in program behavior that sometimes occur in a software program in response to some undocumented set of commands, mouse clicks, keystrokes or other stimuli intended as a joke or to display program credits. They are often located in the "About" box of a software. For example, two easter eggs exist in the "About" box of Adobe Photoshop 7: an alternative "Liquid Sky" splash screen and the ability to speed up credits to view funny quotations. An early use of the term Easter egg was to describe a message hidden in the object code of a program as a joke, intended to be found by persons disassembling or browsing the code.

Easter eggs found in some Unix operating systems caused them to respond to the command "make love" with "not war?" and "why" with "why not" (a reference to The Prisoner in Berkeley Unix 1977). The TOPS-10 operating system (for the DEC PDP-10 computer) had the "make love" hack before 1971; it included a short, thoughtful pause before the response. This same behavior occurred on the RSTS/E operating system where the command "make" was used to invoke the TECO editor, and TECO would also provide this response.

The largest Easter egg is purported to be in the Atari 400/800 version of Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, which contains an entire game that was more complex and challenging than the original Pitfall II. Many personal computers have much more elaborate eggs hidden in ROM, including lists of the developers' names, political exhortations, snatches of music, and (in one case) images of the entire development team. Easter eggs in the 1997 version of Microsoft Office include a hidden flight simulator[1][2] in Microsoft Excel and a pinball game[3] in Word. See main article Easter eggs in Microsoft products. The Palm operating system has elaborately hidden animations and other surprises. The Debian GNU/Linux package tool apt-get has an Easter egg involving an ASCII cow when variants on "apt-get moo" are typed into the shell. Another notable Easter egg is from The MathWorks' MATLAB: the why command provides succinct random answers to almost any question.

Didn't work:-( Anyone got the libretto from Bach's St. Matthew Passion to post

[Edited at 2008-03-23 15:37]

[Edited at 2008-03-23 15:38]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Number of postings rather than length? Mar 23, 2008

I think it has more to do with the number of postings before pagination occurs. But I might be wrong, so lets include your full posting as a test.

Madeleine

Textklick wrote:

Write more?

JaneTranslates wrote

Okidoki...

An interesting fact:

Easter eggs are messages, graphics, sound effects, or an unusual change in program behavior that sometimes occur in a software program in response to some undocumented set of commands, mouse clicks, keystrokes or other stimuli intended as a joke or to display program credits. They are often located in the "About" box of a software. For example, two easter eggs exist in the "About" box of Adobe Photoshop 7: an alternative "Liquid Sky" splash screen and the ability to speed up credits to view funny quotations. An early use of the term Easter egg was to describe a message hidden in the object code of a program as a joke, intended to be found by persons disassembling or browsing the code.

Easter eggs found in some Unix operating systems caused them to respond to the command "make love" with "not war?" and "why" with "why not" (a reference to The Prisoner in Berkeley Unix 1977). The TOPS-10 operating system (for the DEC PDP-10 computer) had the "make love" hack before 1971; it included a short, thoughtful pause before the response. This same behavior occurred on the RSTS/E operating system where the command "make" was used to invoke the TECO editor, and TECO would also provide this response.

The largest Easter egg is purported to be in the Atari 400/800 version of Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, which contains an entire game that was more complex and challenging than the original Pitfall II. Many personal computers have much more elaborate eggs hidden in ROM, including lists of the developers' names, political exhortations, snatches of music, and (in one case) images of the entire development team. Easter eggs in the 1997 version of Microsoft Office include a hidden flight simulator[1][2] in Microsoft Excel and a pinball game[3] in Word. See main article Easter eggs in Microsoft products. The Palm operating system has elaborately hidden animations and other surprises. The Debian GNU/Linux package tool apt-get has an Easter egg involving an ASCII cow when variants on "apt-get moo" are typed into the shell. Another notable Easter egg is from The MathWorks' MATLAB: the why command provides succinct random answers to almost any question.

Didn't work:-( Anyone got the libretto from Bach's St. Matthew Passion to post

[Edited at 2008-03-23 15:37]

[Edited at 2008-03-23 15:38]

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh dear :-) Mar 23, 2008

I really don't think that's necessary! All we need to do is check 2nd pages of other discussions, then re-check them again, to find that it's matter of "now you see the title, now you don't", and it's still happening for no obvious reason.

Textklick
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Let's see Mar 23, 2008

Madeleine wrote
.. before pagination occurs..

If I get barred for having done this *, I hope some kind soul will resurrect me on day 3!

(*Post radically edited because the experiment did not work, and so that I shall not have to utter those three words so appropriate today: "Noli me tangere! http://www.artchive.com/artchive/T/titian/noli_me_tangere.jpg.html

Enjoy your day off tomorrow everyone, should you be taking one.

Chris

[Edited at 2008-03-23 21:57]

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm back!! Mar 23, 2008

JaneTranslates wrote:

I've noticed it often. Sometimes when I'm tracking a thread I have to go back to the email to see what the person's title was; it is occasionally the kernel of their comment!

Will I be the lucky one at the top of the page? And don't worry, Nesrin. I don't think anyone's doing this because it's "necessary." Anybody working on Easter Sunday (for those of us who celebrate it) wants a chance for a little fun, yes?

Did you know that there's an upside-down R2D2 (from Star Wars) clinging to the bottom of the mother ship that comes over Devil's Tower in Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Some people call that an Easter Egg, too, since it's a hidden inside joke. Maybe I can find it and include a link:

http://www.eeggs.com/items/1350.html

There, see if that works... it's from a website devoted to Easter Eggs.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Title of postings appearing on top of 2nd, 3rd etc pages

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »